ACC Discussion

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think they're trying to follow the baseball route whereby the dleague/gleague is an actual minor league system. Would change the model for everyone top to bottom.

Because organizations weren't equipped to handle the influx of teens who were talented but not ready to contribute. (ETA: This matters because of guaranteed contracts, roster limits, etc.) Presently, most teams are able to handle it but some changes need to be made. Particularly, they need a real minor league or club-type system.
Not sure I really understand. If as an organization you aren't equipped to handle a bunch of teens then don't bring in a bunch of teens into your org. I guess I don't get what is really materially different today than it was years ago. There have always been talented teens.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Looks like there is movement to do away with the one and done model - and also likely make college at least 2 yrs for those that choose to go that route.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...y-be-on-its-way-out-but-what-will-replace-it/
Maybe I am wrong, but this seems very unlikely. The NBA is in too favorable a situation right now relative the one and done rules. Ben Simmons is an unusual player, but there are a bunch of others who see themselves as only a mm behind him in talent and potential. The NBA does not want to have guys making $9-10 million sitting the bench for 2-3 seasons while they learn to play NBA level basketball. There is a lot of difference between the AAU circuit and the NBA. For every Ben Simmons there a 6-8 guys who get drafted that never really contribute.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not sure I really understand. If as an organization you aren't equipped to handle a bunch of teens then don't bring in a bunch of teens into your org. I guess I don't get what is really materially different today than it was years ago. There have always been talented teens.

I mean, it's pretty straightforward. Like when the Cowboys took that WR who needed a babysitter. He's a beast on the field but the team did what they felt they had to do in order to facilitate having a talented guy on the roster.

The NBA draftees may not have needed babysitters, but they need a different support system that wasn't available back then. If a pick struggled on the court, you can't just bench them or they'd never develop. There's not much actual practice during the season.

The CBA (back then) wasn't really available to have a guy play real minutes, develop but be close enough to come back to the team for continued coaching. That is essentially in place now.

You can't just say, "Well, I'm just not gonna take any of these guys 'cause they're young." In that league, you can't pass on talent. Older players are too close to their ceiling as players. Not a winning formula.

And please don't give me San Antonio. None of what they do works if they didn't have multiple hall of famers on the roster.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I mean, it's pretty straightforward. Like when the Cowboys took that WR who needed a babysitter. He's a beast on the field but the team did what they felt they had to do in order to facilitate having a talented guy on the roster.

The NBA draftees may not have needed babysitters, but they need a different support system that wasn't available back then. If a pick struggled on the court, you can't just bench them or they'd never develop. There's not much actual practice during the season.

The CBA (back then) wasn't really available to have a guy play real minutes, develop but be close enough to come back to the team for continued coaching. That is essentially in place now.

You can't just say, "Well, I'm just not gonna take any of these guys 'cause they're young." In that league, you can't pass on talent. Older players are too close to their ceiling as players. Not a winning formula.

And please don't give me San Antonio. None of what they do works if they didn't have multiple hall of famers on the roster.
But San Antonio...

I guess I'm an idiot because I don't see what is so hard for these teams. Just because they have no self control shouldn't screw up my college basketball experience.;-) If you have 2 kids on your team that you are developing, don't draft another one this year. If you are rock solid in the maturity department, take a chance on some young gun.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
GT related because we played UCLA and UCLA will play Arizona...

Has anyone seen Deandre Ayton play?! Holy smokes...I'm not sure there's anyone in college that can guard him. If that guy works hard, and dedicates himself to the game of basketball over the next 3-5 years, I'm not sure there's anyone in the NBA that will be able to guard him.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
GT related because we played UCLA and UCLA will play Arizona...

Has anyone seen Deandre Ayton play?! Holy smokes...I'm not sure there's anyone in college that can guard him. If that guy works hard, and dedicates himself to the game of basketball over the next 3-5 years, I'm not sure there's anyone in the NBA that will be able to guard him.

You mean, future Atlanta Hawk, Deandre Ayton? ;)

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Did Jordan Tucker redshirt? He didn't play again in another double digit win. They cleared their bench with about a minute to go, but he wasn't in.