ACC Discussion 2020

slugboy

Staff member
At Louisville, coach Scott Satterfield said on November 24th that he wouldn’t interview at South Carolina. There are reports this morning that he did interview with South Carolina yesterday

The Gamecocks have apparently interviewed Hugh Freeze, Satterfield, Shane Beamer, Billy Napier, and Jeff Monken. Satterfield is one of the leading candidates.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
At Louisville, coach Scott Satterfield said on November 24th that he wouldn’t interview at South Carolina. There are reports this morning that he did interview with South Carolina yesterday

The Gamecocks have apparently interviewed Hugh Freeze, Satterfield, Shane Beamer, Billy Napier, and Jeff Monken. Satterfield is one of the leading candidates.

Napier may have trashed his chances last night with some really weird decisions.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

i would guess his wife is from North Carolina and wants to get close to home

Milwaukee

Banned

Really bad look for Satterfield imo

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No. That’s not what he’s even getting at, and you know that. ACC protected their interests, it’s ok for you to acknowledge the facts.
I’m not acknowledging or denying that. He’s throwing shade, deservedly or not. Certainly, the ACC move looks bad. But, he’s trying to sway public opinion and apply pressure to the committee to move away from the possibility of two ACC teams getting in the Playoff.

He’s being hypocritical by calling out the ACC because his intentions are not pure. Besides, he goes on about a 10 game schedule and blah blah blah. Well, Clemson and ND both will have played 11 games after the ACC Championship game. That’s 10 regular season games (same as all SEC teams and more that the other conferences) + a championship game.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
i would guess his wife is from North Carolina and wants to get close to home
I didn’t feel like Columbia was that close to North Carolina when I was there, and it doesn’t have that AppState feel to me either. Maybe, though...

Deleted member 2897

Interesting mix of high integrity and under handed people.

Deleted member 2897

I think Clemson has medium Covid issues. All kinds of guys on both sides I rarely ever see play.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
A senior backup for Clemson rushes for a 50 yard td and the whole team rushes to congratulate him... meanwhile Venebles is absolutely lighting into a 3rd string DB for a play that happened on the last drive. That’s the type of DC you want. Always coaching, forget the score.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't see any scenario that moves ND out of a playoff spot. 10-1 with the loss to Clemson (should it happen) is a top 4 resume.

The SEC could make this easy by simply unilaterally eliminating their divisions & suddenly they have exactly same scenario as the ACC. Alabama v A&M in a rematch for the conference title.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't see any scenario that moves ND out of a playoff spot. 10-1 with the loss to Clemson (should it happen) is a top 4 resume.
ND is basically guaranteed a playoff spot no matter what. If Clemson wins they are in with ND. The real interesting thing is what happens if Florida beats Bama? Bama likely still gets in but what about Florida? Are they snubbed? Does Texas A&M back in?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
A senior backup for Clemson rushes for a 50 yard td and the whole team rushes to congratulate him... meanwhile Venebles is absolutely lighting into a 3rd string DB for a play that happened on the last drive. That’s the type of DC you want. Always coaching, forget the score.
No no no, according to some on here and CGC, publically embarassing a player never works to make them perform better, Venables is a horrible coach and I would never want him at Tech.

Deleted member 2897

ND is basically guaranteed a playoff spot no matter what. If Clemson wins they are in with ND. The real interesting thing is what happens if Florida beats Bama? Bama likely still gets in but what about Florida? Are they snubbed? Does Texas A&M back in?

That would be perfect - Notre Dame, Clemson, Alabama, Florida. Those would be the 4 best resumes under that scenario.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There will be a lot of pressure on Michigan to play next weekend because there is almost no way the B1G average games per team will stay below 6.0 (actually, it may have to stay below 5.5, which it has already passed). If undefeated Ohio State cannot play in the B1G championship game, does that automatically keep them out of the CFP?

There a several scenarios, but most likely is that the CFP will simply ignore the B1G rule and accept Ohio State at 5-0. Another is that the B1G revises their rule, thereby allowing the Buckeyes to play on Dec 19th. Another is that Ohio State is left out.

My guess is that the outcome of the ACC and SEC championship games could nudge the CFP committee one way of another. If Florida were to beat Bama, that would really make an SEC decision difficult. There is precedent for accepting Texas A&M, even though they were not the champion. Would Bama be left out? In the ACC, I think Clemson has to beat ND to be in the playoffs. There are five really good teams from the ACC/SEC and none would be a bad choice. If ND and Bama win on the 19th, it makes it easier for the committee to accept Ohio State at 5-0. That is the scenario that lets A&M be the fourth team.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
There will be a lot of pressure on Michigan to play next weekend because there is almost no way the B1G average games per team will stay below 6.0 (actually, it may have to stay below 5.5, which it has already passed). If undefeated Ohio State cannot play in the B1G championship game, does that automatically keep them out of the CFP?

There a several scenarios, but most likely is that the CFP will simply ignore the B1G rule and accept Ohio State at 5-0. Another is that the B1G revises their rule, thereby allowing the Buckeyes to play on Dec 19th. Another is that Ohio State is left out.

My guess is that the outcome of the ACC and SEC championship games could nudge the CFP committee one way of another. If Florida were to beat Bama, that would really make an SEC decision difficult. There is precedent for accepting Texas A&M, even though they were not the champion. Would Bama be left out? In the ACC, I think Clemson has to beat ND to be in the playoffs. There are five really good teams from the ACC/SEC and none would be a bad choice. If ND and Bama win on the 19th, it makes it easier for the committee to accept Ohio State at 5-0. That is the scenario that lets A&M be the fourth team.
Agree with all this (except below). No chance the committee allows Clemson a 3rd shot at ND (nor should they) if ND beats them a 2nd time. That scenario does make things easier for the committee.

I disagree about a 5-0 OSU. If all those 5 SEC/ACC teams are 1 loss (or less)... I think committee won't allow OSU in. They already said the number of games played was discussed at length during last week's rankings...but ultimately didn't change OSUs spot. I interpret that to mean they are ok with a 7-0 OSU... but that is different than 5-0. Maybe more wishful thinking on my part than really what the committee is thinking.

Deleted member 2897

As we saw last night, being down over 30 scholarship players, all this COVID postponement is overblown. We probably win last night with a full team, but isn’t it better to at least take the field? Michigan should show up and deal with it. It’s a free year. Nobody expects them to win. Literally nothing to lose.