ACC Discussion 2020

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
As we saw last night, being down over 30 scholarship players, all this COVID postponement is overblown. We probably win last night with a full team, but isn’t it better to at least take the field? Michigan should show up and deal with it. It’s a free year. Nobody expects them to win. Literally nothing to lose.

Michigan should plead Covid and kick up their feet.

It's a likely loss and just playing the game has the potential to help their hated rival make the college football playoff.

/

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As we saw last night, being down over 30 scholarship players, all this COVID postponement is overblown. We probably win last night with a full team, but isn’t it better to at least take the field? Michigan should show up and deal with it. It’s a free year. Nobody expects them to win. Literally nothing to lose.
I don't completely disagree with your point, but each conference set rules for how many scholarship players have to be available to play. There is no benefit for staging non-competitive games. I know. There is the money. If Michigan does not play it will be because they really could not play. There is huge pressure on them from the conference.

I admired the way our team played last night given how few key players we could suit up. I wonder if we will fold our hand for the Pitt game. With COVID related quarantines and injuries and the short week, it seems the gods are all against us this week.

Deleted member 2897

I don't completely disagree with your point, but each conference set rules for how many scholarship players have to be available to play. There is no benefit for staging non-competitive games. I know. There is the money. If Michigan does not play it will be because they really could not play. There is huge pressure on them from the conference.

I admired the way our team played last night given how few key players we could suit up. I wonder if we will fold our hand for the Pitt game. With COVID related quarantines and injuries and the short week, it seems the gods are all against us this week.

We should have never agreed to this reschedule.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck

With Harbaugh on the hot seat, he would not want to deal with another loss to Ohio State since he is 0-5 right now. So I could see Michigan dodging Ohio St. no matter how much pressure from the conference. Ohio St. could potentially have a 6th game on Dec. 19th if the Big Ten can figure out an opponent (even if it is not the Big Ten Championship). Several Big Ten teams have not played 8 games so they could easily schedule a 6th game. I think Ohio State gets in regardless unless Florida beats Alabama.

Deleted member 2897

With Harbaugh on the hot seat, he would not want to deal with another loss to Ohio State since he is 0-5 right now. So I could see Michigan dodging Ohio St. no matter how much pressure from the conference. Ohio St. could potentially have a 6th game on Dec. 19th if the Big Ten can figure out an opponent (even if it is not the Big Ten Championship). Several Big Ten teams have not played 8 games so they could easily schedule a 6th game. I think Ohio State gets in regardless unless Florida beats Alabama.

Dodge ball game complete!

Deleted member 2897

B1G Championship is all messed up. Indiana may also not be able to play.
CFP Committee can pick whoever they want, though.

5 games played versus 10. Sucks if you're the BigTen, but at the beginning of the season they were okay with not playing football at all, so certainly that meant getting excluded. And when they decided to play and start much later, they also knew it would come with higher risk due to typical cold weather spread. IIWII. They started nearly 2 months after everyone else.

To me, its such a huge gap (5 fewer games), its not even a question. I'd say the final 5 are Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida, and Texas A&M. As others have said, the conference championships will determine which of those 4 make it to the CFP. If Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina stay undefeated, I wouldn't be opposed to those 2 plus the SEC and ACC Champs, but of course, that would never happen.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I can remember a time when Harbaugh was the hottest young coach in football...seems like a long time ago now.

Deleted member 2897

BC will opt out of any bowl invites and other teams are expected to do the same.

....we still have a chance!

Bowls are going to be a mess. More and more states won't allow competitive sports activities, even without fans. I think a 6-5 team this year will either not get a bowl, or it will be who knows where - and like that post says, no fans, can't be around other people, no social activities around the bowl...so what's the point? Not very enticing. Boston College had 1 single positive covid test all time since June, so they've put in the work. Let them all travel home to spend time with families and call it a day.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Reminder: Notre Dame will NEVER join a conference.

ACC, continue to give ND special treatment though...and alienate your existing members. ACC is that dude who's already in a relationship doing favors for the pretty girl hoping something will happen with the pretty girl. The pretty girl/ND is just a tease and knows she can get that dude to do whatever she wants.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

ACC, continue to give ND special treatment though...and alienate your existing members. ACC is that dude who's already in a relationship doing favors for the pretty girl hoping something will happen with the pretty girl. The pretty girl/ND is just a tease and knows she can get that dude to do whatever she wants.

Should be blocked from the conference championship immediately. Swofford has been a moron this whole time to court Notre Dame like the ACC has. Why would they ever join when he'll happily give them everything they want with no commitment.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Should be blocked from the conference championship immediately. Swofford has been a moron this whole time to court Notre Dame like the ACC has. Why would they ever join when he'll happily give them everything they want with no commitment.
Didn't Notre Dame agree to share their football TV revenues this year with the ACC? I thought that's what we were getting out of this deal....

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow

Exactly. The ACC looks like ****ing chumps. We look like we just let ND bend us over and have their way and we just accept it. ACC is a joke.

I would seriously tell ND they can't play in the conference championship then put Miami vs Clemson in there.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. The ACC looks like ****ing chumps. We look like we just let ND bend us over and have their way and we just accept it. ACC is a joke.

I would seriously tell ND they can't play in the conference championship then put Miami vs Clemson in there.

ND is splitting their NBC deal with us this year. Yeah, it's basically paying for a one year membership but it's hardly them bending us over. Both sides got something, and honestly, we'd only be adding them to the conference for the sake of trying to get exactly that to begin with