ACC Discussion 2020

Deleted member 2897

Something to think about going into Saturday's game against NC State.

Florida State, Duke, and Syracuse all have 1 win. Duke and Florida State play on 12/12. Duke plays Miami this weekend. Florida State plays Wake Forest 12/19. Syracuse plays Notre Dame this weekend. So basically, there is no way any of those 3 finishes ahead of us. Louisville has 2 wins and plays Wake Forest on 12/12. We have the tie breaker against them, so the worst we can finish in the ACC at the end of the season is where we sit now in 11th.

If we beat NC State, we move to 4-4 in ACC play. That could move us ahead of 3-4 Virginia, 4-5 Pittsburgh, 3-3 Wake Forest, and 4-4 Virginia Tech. Virginia plays Boston College this Saturday. Pittsburgh is off. Wake Forest is off. Virginia Tech plays Clemson.

If we win Saturday, we move from 11th up to 9th minimum. 8th place if Clemson beats Virginia Tech. 7th place if Boston College beats Virginia.

There's a lot left to play for, especially considering the ACC Media (and most in sports media in general) predicted us to go 0-11.

After that, the schedule gets stupid. We play Pitt on 5 days rest while they will have had 12 days off. Honestly at that point I'd pull the COVID card. They did it to us first.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I can't see this happening because the Big 10 would be PISSED if Harbaugh screws Ohio State out of the title game and CFP. It would be hilarious though.

Because of the B10s plan to have everybody play on championship weekend, Ive seen an argument that OSU’s playoff chances could actually benefit from missing the B10 title game (likely against NW) and instead playing the #2 from that division (likely Wisco) because Wisco is still perceived as the better team despite losing to NW.

Count me in the group that thinks a 1-loss P5 team that played 3+ more games than an undefeated P5 team should be taken in the playoff. 10-1 > 7-0. OSU championship would be super tainted this year. Hopefully they lose this weekend and we don’t have to worry about the B10 at all.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Because of the B10s plan to have everybody play on championship weekend, Ive seen an argument that OSU’s playoff chances could actually benefit from missing the B10 title game (likely against NW) and instead playing the #2 from that division (likely Wisco) because Wisco is still perceived as the better team despite losing to NW.

Count me in the group that thinks a 1-loss P5 team that played 3+ more games than an undefeated P5 team should be taken in the playoff. 10-1 > 7-0. OSU championship would be super tainted this year. Hopefully they lose this weekend and we don’t have to worry about the B10 at all.
If OSU is 6-0 and Clemson, ND, and, aTm is 9-1 each, then I'm sorry OSU, but you don't have enough data points to compare. If (7-1) OSU has a better W than aTm they may take that spot. If they're 8-0, they may get consideration straight up against aTm. That is where my mind is at this point.

Deleted member 2897

Unless Ohio State loses, they are in. There may be some grumbling, but there is no way an undefeated B1G champion is left out.

Or doesn’t play enough games to qualify for the championship in the first place. Michigan State currently has a COVID outbreak, reporting several new cases. And Michigan football activity is currently paused due to COVID issues.

Notre Dame and Clemson have played 9 games. Ohio State has played 4. It wasn’t that long ago that the Big Ten didn’t even want to play football, so they did this to themselves.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Or doesn’t play enough games to qualify for the championship in the first place. Michigan State currently has a COVID outbreak, reporting several new cases. And Michigan football activity is currently paused due to COVID issues.
I don't see as much stuff as you, but I don't think the CFP has said there is a minimum number of games a team must play to qualify for the playoffs. Can you share link?

Deleted member 2897

I don't see as much stuff as you, but I don't think the CFP has said there is a minimum number of games a team must play to qualify for the playoffs. Can you share link?

I was talking about the Big Ten championship. You had said an undefeated Big Ten champion gets in. They can’t be the champion if they don’t qualify for the game, which requires 6 games. They’ve played 4, and both their remaining opponents have severe COVID issues right now.

Deleted member 2897

That’s the entire thing tho. They might be undefeated but they’re probably not going to be the B10 champ.

Yep, I think its a coin flip whether they finish 4-0 or 5-0 and don't qualify for the Big Ten Championship versus going 7-0 and being Big Ten Champion. If they do go 7-0, there will be some butt hurt about making the CFP, but the eyeball test about how good they are will keep them from falling outside of the top 4 in the rankings, which will provide them some cover.

Texas A&M is undefeated but for getting blown out by Alabama. Florida is undefeated but for barely losing to Texas A&M, but blew out Georgia so they have plenty of quality wins. Alabama beats Florida in the SEC Championship, Florida gets 2 losses, so they're out. If Florida wins, then all mayhem breaks out. You'll have Clemson, Notre Dame...how many games as Ohio State played? 7-0 they're in. Florida over Alabama may be what Cincinnati needs to break through if they're still undefeated then. A dark horse might be Miami - if they finish their schedule, they could be 10-1. I could easily see them ranked 5-7. Their problem will be that nobody will want 3 ACC teams in the CFP. Doesn't matter how good they might be playing, they won't get votes because...but a 1 loss Miami team whose only loss is @ Clemson? Sheesh.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You should read the B1G championship tiebreaker rules. There's a caveat to the six games rule. I think Ohio State is in with a win over Michigan State. If Michigan is done for year or not.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't see as much stuff as you, but I don't think the CFP has said there is a minimum number of games a team must play to qualify for the playoffs.
But again if there was no minimum requirement then why don't all the top 4 teams just cancel the rest of their games because of "covid"? They don't risk losing or getting injured, and they can waltz right into the playoffs the way people want Ohio State to get in. It is bs and not fair at all. So every team will have more games, and play more recently than Ohio State while they get to sit back and relax? That is asinine and if the committee let's them in there should be serious talk of getting rid of the committee. Letting Ohio State in at this point, having only played 4 games, is letting them into the playoffs purely on them being Ohio State and having good recruitment. Which at that point why play any games? If we are just letting in a school because historically they have been good and they get good recruits then what is the point of playing any games?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
But again if there was no minimum requirement then why don't all the top 4 teams just cancel the rest of their games because of "covid"? They don't risk losing or getting injured, and they can waltz right into the playoffs the way people want Ohio State to get in. It is bs and not fair at all. So every team will have more games, and play more recently than Ohio State while they get to sit back and relax? That is asinine and if the committee let's them in there should be serious talk of getting rid of the committee. Letting Ohio State in at this point, having only played 4 games, is letting them into the playoffs purely on them being Ohio State and having good recruitment. Which at that point why play any games? If we are just letting in a school because historically they have been good and they get good recruits then what is the point of playing any games?
You may be right, but I haven't seen it stated. But, w/o OSU it's the ACC/SEC Playoff game. I don't think that happens. Another interesting twist is what happens if ND beats Clemson again?

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
You may be right, but I haven't seen it stated. But, w/o OSU it's the ACC/SEC Playoff game. I don't think that happens. Another interesting twist is what happens if ND beats Clemson again?
I hope that does happen and we get an ACC/SEC playoff because maybe that will get the committee to realize their voting system and playoff system in general is flawed. Of course the SEC is always going to be at the top when they always rank them high and barely drop them when they lose. Same with the ACC to a degree, though not as bad. I hope they realize they should expand the playoffs to be the top 8 teams.

But I don't see ND beating Clemson again, I would be shocked if that happened. If it did though I think that Ohio State is guaranteed to get in and then Texas A&M or Florida would get in. Either way we are going to likely have two SEC teams in because see my point above.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Why play the ACCCG? Both ND and Clemson have inside track to playoff right now. Of the 3 outcomes: 1) Clem W; 2) ND W; or 3) Don't play .... Two of the 3 (#1 and #3) might get both ND and Clemson into the playoff.

I'm not endorsing this....just pointing out where that logic takes you.
Sounds like a plan. I’ll endorse it just to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I mentioned this earlier this season, but the Syracuse loss will continue to look worse than it was (and it wasn't pretty in the first place, obviously).

Babers: We’re missing one-third of our team

There’s a good reason Syracuse is headed for a one-win season: The team is decimated, playing with fewer than 60 scholarship players.
“With the injuries we had, we could have no-contested every game this year and not play a single game,” Babers said Wednesday night on his radio show. “But by playing the games we did, our team is going to get better.

“We lost almost a third of our team to injuries and opt-outs, and it’s hard to be physical in practice every single day when you’re missing one-third of your scholarships.”

This includes the starting QB, who was out for the season shortly after our game. The back-ups are far from ACC caliber. At times they were on a 5th string RB. A starting OL is a converted FB. Etc. Etc. Fortunately they've largely avoided COVID as a cause for attrition.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I mentioned this earlier this season, but the Syracuse loss will continue to look worse than it was (and it wasn't pretty in the first place, obviously).

This includes the starting QB, who was out for the season shortly after our game. The back-ups are far from ACC caliber. At times they were on a 5th string RB. A starting OL is a converted FB. Etc. Etc. Fortunately they've largely avoided COVID as a cause for attrition.
Yep. That game is a glaring misstep even with the Clemson debacle.

Milwaukee

Banned

There are whispers of Babers being on the hot seat and/or already looking to bolt. Time flies doesn’t it.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
You should read the B1G championship tiebreaker rules. There's a caveat to the six games rule. I think Ohio State is in with a win over Michigan State. If Michigan is done for year or not.

The caveat is only if the whole league drops below a 6 game average. And I think I heard they would need just about every B10 game cancelled down the stretch to hit that rule. So unless I’ve counted wrong, if they don’t play and beat MSU and Michigan they’re out.