ACC Discussion 2020

Deleted member 2897

The story is Clemson brought a player who had tested positive. So FSU said WTF!?!? That person could spread it to more Clemson players and then of course them.

if that's true, Clemson deserves what they got. That’s ****ty business. If that’s not true, this is just FSU saving a loss LOL.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The story is Clemson brought a player who had tested positive. So FSU said WTF!?!? That person could spread it to more Clemson players and then of course them.

if that's true, Clemson deserves what they got. That’s ****ty business. If that’s not true, this is just FSU saving a loss LOL.
I'm to the point of saying just call the season over and hope next year will be back to normal but I really don't see it at this time.

Deleted member 2897

I'm to the point of saying just call the season over and hope next year will be back to normal but I really don't see it at this time.

I think things would be easier if people would just play the games with who they have. Teams suffer no consequences for not keeping spread down. People can postpone games with 1 positive test (Cal). It’s ridiculous. If you cancel, you should have to forfeit. Most teams including walkons have over 100 players.

Deleted member 2897

Pretty poor form on Clemson. You should test early enough to get the tests back. They have rapid tests. For the stronger tests, you test early enough to get them back. If you don’t get a few back, those guys stay behind. IIWII. Clemson had over 25 positives by June. They’ve had so many positives it’s almost hard to believe their entire team isn’t immune by now.

Milwaukee

Banned
Pretty poor form on Clemson. You should test early enough to get the tests back. They have rapid tests. For the stronger tests, you test early enough to get them back. If you don’t get a few back, those guys stay behind. IIWII. Clemson had over 25 positives by June. They’ve had so many positives it’s almost hard to believe their entire team isn’t immune by now.
I don’t know the exact conference protocols but whatever they are the ACC signed off and approved the game to take place this morning at 8am EST, even with the late positive test. FSU backed out, they’re the ones with egg on their face. The cfb world is laughing at them.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know the exact conference protocols but whatever they are the ACC signed off and approved the game to take place this morning at 8am EST, even with the late positive test. FSU backed out, they’re the ones with egg on their face. The cfb world is laughing at them.
It would actually be interesting to hear how this passed the ACC protocols if the Thamel tweet is true.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clemson had a player whose Friday test came back positive this morning.
The 2 medical staffs were not able to come to an agreement on whether the game should move forward. The Clemson medical staff said it could. the FSU medical staff said it could not.

This is game #20 according to the list at SI that has been cancelled/postponed/moved for this weekend.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Surely you are not suggesting that FSU, a five touchdown underdog to a team aching to get even for Notre Dame, and a QB determined to get his name back in the Heisman race, just plain quit? Took their ball and went home?

But everything else aside, it's another indication that no football should have been played in 2020. The problem is, at least at Clemson, the television money alone will pay for every other sport at Clemson. So they play.

Milwaukee

Banned
But everything else aside, it's another indication that no football should have been played in 2020. The problem is, at least at Clemson, the television money alone will pay for every other sport at Clemson. So they play.
Clemson Athletics will discontinue its men's track and field and cross-country program at the conclusion of the 2020-21 athletic season, Director of Athletics Dan Radakovich announced Thursday.

Deleted member 2897

Surely you are not suggesting that FSU, a five touchdown underdog to a team aching to get even for Notre Dame, and a QB determined to get his name back in the Heisman race, just plain quit? Took their ball and went home?

no football should have been played this year? Ha ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! There were a few people on here that predicted extremely overconfidently that football would never happen. I’m glad we’ve gotten as far as we have. Remember, the actual playing of football has literally almost 0 risk of negative consequences for Covid for the players. And certainly not compared to the actual playing a football self. Like one guy got seriously sick, but returned to full practice and play with the team months ago. Meanwhile, we’ve lost several players to injuries for the rest of the year from the actual football part of football.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Clemson Athletics will discontinue its men's track and field and cross-country program at the conclusion of the 2020-21 athletic season, Director of Athletics Dan Radakovich announced Thursday.

I never have had an issue with cutting non revenue sports. Felt that way a long time ago and have not changed my mind. I think the benefits of having those may be real but not $ justifiable. I think asking FB and men's BB in some instances to shoulder the enitire burden has contributed to the arms race in salaries, ticket prices, facilities, etc.

I think athletic competition is beneficial. But it can be achieved via intramurals or club teams or through other venues not subsidized by the school's athletic administration.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
The problem is that you are required to have a minimum number of sports teams in order to play division 1. I think we are only just above the minimum value.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I never have had an issue with cutting non revenue sports. Felt that way a long time ago and have not changed my mind. I think the benefits of having those may be real but not $ justifiable. I think asking FB and men's BB in some instances to shoulder the enitire burden has contributed to the arms race in salaries, ticket prices, facilities, etc.

I think athletic competition is beneficial. But it can be achieved via intramurals or club teams or through other venues not subsidized by the school's athletic administration.
GT golf is self supporting on its own and it is deserved. Consistent ACC champs.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
GT golf is self supporting on its own and it is deserved. Consistent ACC champs.
If it pays its way, whether through TV, ticket sales, endowments, etc. then it should stay. That applies to curling, badminton, bobsledding, etc. If it can't, it should go. Hopefully, the ridiculous rules forcing X number of teams will get revised in light of current events, especially if things aren't "back to normal" relatively soon. The economic realities may force schools to get rod of the deadwood. Nothing wrong with that.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If it pays its way, whether through TV, ticket sales, endowments, etc. then it should stay. That applies to curling, badminton, bobsledding, etc. If it can't, it should go. Hopefully, the ridiculous rules forcing X number of teams will get revised in light of current events, especially if things aren't "back to normal" relatively soon. The economic realities may force schools to get rod of the deadwood. Nothing wrong with that.
Endowments.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Endowments.
Understood. I knew they weren't doing it through TV or ticket sales. Regardless, they have earned their keep. That should keep them viable. The sports that are feeding at the trough through the blood, sweat and tears of others need to be trimmed.