ACC Discussion 2020

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
tell us more about Johnson's observations.

Not sure what you mean, but once the decision to hire Swinney was made, he made a massive culture shift almost single handedly and now has a program which is the envy of the country. What he managed to do was convince Clemson to be "all in" from top to bottom. I don't think many coaches could do that. One reason might be that he sneaked up on people: who expected that from a guy named Dabo?

Dabo is basically a product of being super religious and starting right about the same time Clemson started committing themselves to raising money from boosters to pay players. The former creates a “family atmosphere” and resonates with kids from the SE which is obviously a region that is pretty religious. their 5* frosh QB from Cali said the religious atmosphere is what drew him to Clemson.

But that only works because of the latter. Had Dabo taken over at NCSU instead of Clemson does anybody actually think he’d have had any success at all? He’d probably be back to being a coordinator by now (I guess he never was one actually).

He’s a hell of a “CEO” for a program with elite coordinators and bagmen with some of the deepest pockets in the country. But unless I’m another factory with pockets as deep as Clemson’s, I’d take either of the coordinators over him to be my head coach in a heartbeat.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Dabo is basically a product of being super religious and starting right about the same time Clemson started committing themselves to raising money from boosters to pay players. The former creates a “family atmosphere” and resonates with kids from the SE which is obviously a region that is pretty religious. their 5* frosh QB from Cali said the religious atmosphere is what drew him to Clemson.

But that only works because of the latter. Had Dabo taken over at NCSU instead of Clemson does anybody actually think he’d have had any success at all? He’d probably be back to being a coordinator by now (I guess he never was one actually).

He’s a hell of a “CEO” for a program with elite coordinators and bagmen with some of the deepest pockets in the country. But unless I’m another factory with pockets as deep as Clemson’s, I’d take either of the coordinators over him to be my head coach in a heartbeat.
I challenge you to prove any point you just claimed. I double dog dare you, to coin a phrase. You can't. You made it all up because that is what you want to believe. For god's sake, admit it: the guy built a powerhouse and you can't stand it. If we want to be that, then it is up to us to be about it. God, it is sickening to have every achievement dismissed as cheating ... merely by claiming it and not by proving it. Kind of like voter fraud I guess.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I challenge you to prove any point you just claimed. I double dog dare you, to coin a phrase. You can't. You made it all up because that is what you want to believe. For god's sake, admit it: the guy built a powerhouse and you can't stand it. If we want to be that, then it is up to us to be about it. God, it is sickening to have every achievement dismissed as cheating ... merely by claiming it and not by proving it. Kind of like voter
Yea, I don’t think they’re cheating either. There were rumors about money funneling to recruits through Newspring church but that’s all it was. The truth is that Clemson has 4 times the football staff and at least that much more football budget than we do. Dabo has built a culture that both players and coaches want to be a part of.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I challenge you to prove any point you just claimed. I double dog dare you, to coin a phrase. You can't. You made it all up because that is what you want to believe. For god's sake, admit it: the guy built a powerhouse and you can't stand it. If we want to be that, then it is up to us to be about it. God, it is sickening to have every achievement dismissed as cheating ... merely by claiming it and not by proving it. Kind of like voter fraud I guess.

I mean I can’t prove that Bama gave Julio the SUV he would drive around campus. Because I’m not a journalist with time to kill. But I’m smart enough to connect the dots. And that’s without FBI wiretap comments from a guy within their AA like we have with Clemson.

They’ve been a middling program for basically their entire existence outside of one title, start IPTAY, hire a guy that has never even been a coordinator in college football before, and magically they discovered the second coming of Dodd?

But you do you friend. No need to be casually throwing DDDs around.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Clempson may not be cheating. Its not giving money to recruits and players if they are "Working" for it.

We could learn a thing or two from them. Like for instance if you paid a player to work on campus verifying that the fire suppression systems were on every day that would not be giving that player money.

Deleted member 2897

I mean, a Clemson coach got fired for being caught on a wiretap explaining how they pay players.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I mean I can’t prove that Bama gave Julio the SUV he would drive around campus. Because I’m not a journalist with time to kill. But I’m smart enough to connect the dots. And that’s without FBI wiretap comments from a guy within their AA like we have with Clemson.

They’ve been a middling program for basically their entire existence outside of one title, start IPTAY, hire a guy that has never even been a coordinator in college football before, and magically they discovered the second coming of Dodd?

But you do you friend. No need to be casually throwing DDDs around.
For heaven's sake. "start IPTAY, hire a guy ..." Clemson promoted Swinney in '08 or '09. Clemson started IPTAY -- the not very clever "I pay ten dollars a year" in about ... 1934. "and magically discover" the second Dodd? Seventy five years later? Let's face it: Terry Don Philips made a genius-like hire with Swinney, and then Radakovich has paid every year to keep him and his staff. (By your logic I suppose Radakovich was cheating at Georgia Tech; he just wasn't very good at it maybe?)

You are not "connecting dots". You are just rationalizing what you can't otherwise explain, therefore they must cheat. I want to believe Alabama cheats. And Georgia, my god yes, Georgia, cheats. I always thought Bobby Bowden cheated. Maybe. But nobody proved it. There are no dots for you to connect, and I have no idea what you mean with that wiretap comment. p.s. I have known several journalists. None of them had "time to kill". Poor guys were run ragged.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I mean, a Clemson coach got fired for being caught on a wiretap explaining how they pay players.
when and who was this? I know Ford was caught doing something but I don't recall what. Swinney welcomes all former players and coaches back and sometimes Ford wanders in but at kind of an arms-length arrangement. (He has a farm there in Pickens County and grows, get this, cannabis. My guess is his farm is a very popular spot.)

Deleted member 2897

when and who was this? I know Ford was caught doing something but I don't recall what. Swinney welcomes all former players and coaches back and sometimes Ford wanders in but at kind of an arms-length arrangement. (He has a farm there in Pickens County and grows, get this, cannabis. My guess is his farm is a very popular spot.)

May of 2019, Steve Smith.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
There are no dots for you to connect, and I have no idea what you mean with that wiretap comment.

tenor.gif

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I understand the why, but the advantage of knowing about this ahead of time, and practicing with masks, could give Pitt an enormous advantage over VT. If this is not an ACC rule does VT have to comply?

Deleted member 2897

I understand the why, but the advantage of knowing about this ahead of time, and practicing with masks, could give Pitt an enormous advantage over VT. If this is not an ACC rule does VT have to comply?

Furthermore, the testing protocols are extremely strict. These guys are tested at minimum three times a week, inside of the last day or so before the game, etc. The whole point is that you are proven to show up without having the virus. If you feel the need to be wearing mask, that tells me that you don’t have confidence in your testing protocols and are worried you have sick people on the team. If there are people that you think could be sick or are inside of the contact tracing bubble, that’s why you should cancel games if you have enough players like that. This mask wearing makes no sense to me.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If they enforce this the same way they enforce coaches wearing masks it will be a non-issue. Coaches are constantly pulling their masks down to speak, and pretty much only have it on when the aren’t speaking.
Also, who is going to be responsible for enforcing it? The on-field officials? It’s not even an ACC rule, how can they be responsible for it? What are the consequences if players don’t comply?

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If they enforce this the same way they enforce coaches wearing masks it will be a non-issue. Coaches are constantly pulling their masks down to speak, and pretty much only have it on when the aren’t speaking.
Also, who is going to be responsible for enforcing it? The on-field officials? It’s not even an ACC rule, how can they be responsible for it? What are the consequences if players don’t comply?
Pitt will have to play all their home games thereafter in West Virginia.