ACC Discussion 2020

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
My mom went to Virginia Tech and she absolutely hates them in football right now. She has wanted Fuente to be fired for the last year, especially after the loss to Liberty a few weeks ago where he called a timeout on a 60 yard FG!!! Really?? Who does that? It cost them the game. And if you look at their recruiting class it is awful since Fuente took over.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Title IX means that Men's Olympic sports will be cut first (swimming/diving, CC/T&F, tennis, etc.). Think about how many Women's teams it takes to match the 105 players on the Men's FB team. Basketball is a wash. The fact that GT is closer to 50:50 (61:39) in population now.
85 football players count .

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Chatter that VPI locker room is in shambles and Fuente might not make it to the end of the season. I’m hoping they decide they can’t afford the buyout with COVID revenue losses, they have to swallow him for another year, and add another trash class in ‘22. They legit might be the least talented team in the Coastal by 2022. And the way BC is recruiting right now, VPI might only be looking down to Cuse in conference jimmys/joes.

Milwaukee

Banned
Chatter that VPI locker room is in shambles and Fuente might not make it to the end of the season. I’m hoping they decide they can’t afford the buyout with COVID revenue losses, they have to swallow him for another year, and add another trash class in ‘22. They legit might be the least talented team in the Coastal by 2022. And the way BC is recruiting right now, VPI might only be looking down to Cuse in conference jimmys/joes.
Not really the locker room, the big money boosters are the ones barking. They want Shane Beamer and they want him right now.

Deleted member 2897

😂 Love it. TALK TO EM DABO!!

Miami canceled against us because they “only” had 6 scholarship OL. Including walkons I’m betting they had more than 10. And probably 6 TEs including walkons that could help. At some point all this gets silly. Cal canceled their first game over 1 single positive test.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Not a great look for Dabo. Not really sure why he went this route. I do agree that the 300k should be reimbursed in some way though either by the league or by FSU.

Didn’t they have a player take a test, travel with them team before the results back, and then the test came back positive? That’s what I heard. If true I don’t see what FSU did wrong. It seems like Clemson should be the one forfeiting (unless I’ve got my facts wrong).

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn’t they have a player take a test, travel with them team before the results back, and then the test came back positive? That’s what I heard. If true I don’t see what FSU did wrong. It seems like Clemson should be the one forfeiting (unless I’ve got my facts wrong).
the player had tested negative on mon and wed.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
the player had tested negative on mon and wed.

So? Why test him again if you’re going to ignore a positive test? And why would FSU be cool exposing their players to a team who traveled with a kid who has tested positive the day before?

I guess the bigger question is how in the world did the ACC sign off on allowing Clemson SAs who were exposed to that SA to play in the game? Why did this come down to FSU having to refuse to play? (Again, assuming I have my facts straight).

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
So? Why test him again if you’re going to ignore a positive test? And why would FSU be cool exposing their players to a team who traveled with a kid who has tested positive the day before?

I guess the bigger question is how in the world did the ACC sign off on allowing Clemson SAs who were exposed to that SA to play in the game? Why did this come down to FSU having to refuse to play? (Again, assuming I have my facts straight).
Don’t think they got a negative report until Saturday.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Don’t think they got a negative report until Saturday.
How does that change anything? He took the test Friday. So was positive when he traveled with the team. Whether the staff knew it yet or not. Everybody he was in contact with since the last negative test should be ineligible to play. Right?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
How does that change anything? He took the test Friday. So was positive when he traveled with the team. Whether the staff knew it yet or not. Everybody he was in contact with since the last negative test should be ineligible to play. Right?
Evidently not from what the ACC said. Look I’m not arguing about whether FSU ducked them, but unless I have misread the ACC statement the game could have been played based on protocols.

Deleted member 2897

Evidently not from what the ACC said. Look I’m not arguing about whether FSU ducked them, but unless I have misread the ACC statement the game could have been played based on protocols.

Yea its a mess. Mississippi State was apparently below the 53 player availability threshhold that would have let them postpone the game against Georgia, but they played anyway. (And nearly won.)

Florida State was quoted as being concerned that since they were already a little thin due to their own covid/injury issues, that getting more spread potentially from Clemson would leave them unable to play in the next couple of weeks against Virginia and Duke. Note those games are significantly more winnable games than Clemson. You can read into that what you will.

Now having said that, Clemson does hold fault here. We've been in this heavy testing regimen for a long time. You shouldn't be taking your pre-game tests so close that you can't get them back in time. And to that point, if I were a coach like Dabo and its time to get on the plane and you don't have a couple test results back yet - those guys can't travel (especially given this guy was a backup). Sucks, but IIWII. IMHO they got lazy assuming they would all be negative tests and let him/them travel anyway.

To me, its a hole in the conference protocols if players without the required test results can still travel to games. That shouldn't even be a thing. I have no idea how that's even possible.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Yea its a mess. Mississippi State was apparently below the 53 player availability threshhold that would have let them postpone the game against Georgia, but they played anyway. (And nearly won.)

Florida State was quoted as being concerned that since they were already a little thin due to their own covid/injury issues, that getting more spread potentially from Clemson would leave them unable to play in the next couple of weeks against Virginia and Duke. Note those games are significantly more winnable games than Clemson. You can read into that what you will.

Now having said that, Clemson does hold fault here. We've been in this heavy testing regimen for a long time. You shouldn't be taking your pre-game tests so close that you can't get them back in time. And to that point, if I were a coach like Dabo and its time to get on the plane and you don't have a couple test results back yet - those guys can't travel (especially given this guy was a backup). Sucks, but IIWII. IMHO they got lazy assuming they would all be negative tests and let him/them travel anyway.

To me, its a hole in the conference protocols if players without the required test results can still travel to games. That shouldn't even be a thing. I have no idea how that's even possible.
I think the protocol is 2 PCR tests with one at least 72 hours before the game and a rapid test on Friday. What I can’t find is what happens if the Friday result isn’t back on Friday. So evidently the kid was negative on the PCR, which is more accurate on Wednesday.

saw a note elsewhere that there is some talk about doing the rapid tests on Thursday. Assuming this was the reason for our delay at Syracuse.

FWIW not that it excuses our lack of performance, but can’t help but think that with the makeup of our team this year that delay hurt significantly. Young team sitting around for 30 minutes not knowing if the game was going to be played or not had to hurt.

Last edited: