ACC Discussion 2020

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
VT lost in a wild way today to Liberty.
Liberty tried to kick a 59-yd field goal. it was blocked and VT returned it for a TD - Buuuut, VT called a TO before the play to ice the kicker.
Liberty came back out with their offense and ran one more play gaining 8 yrds and having 1 second left. They kick a 51 yd FG to win.

Fuente should be fired for that, or so my mom a VT fan says, LMAO.

That was an absolute bonehead decision to call a timeout to ice the kicker... when he is trying a 59-yd field goal. Really?

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly, it's 59 yards lol. How many pro kickers make that at a good clip?
Maybe Butker, but that's it.

I don't want to hear anyone say anything about Coach Collins after seeing Fuente lose the game for VT with that timeout. LOL

Deleted member 2897

The stars seem to have aligned for Notre Dame I get the feeling they are going to win, even if Clemson comes back and gets close.

The Refs made sure that wouldn’t happen. Of all the terrible calls, my favorite was the long ND catch where the ball hit the ground and moved. The guys in the booth said no catch and brought in the NCAA official for help understanding the rule and he too explained why the evidence was “indisputable” it was no catch. After video review, the Refs on the field called it a catch, LOLOLOLOLOL.

Deleted member 2897

There too many reviews and both coaches were frustrated.

Fun fact - Clemson held Notre Dame’s offense out of the end zone for 49 straight minutes last night, yet they lost and Notre Dame scored 47 points. Just let that craziness sink in.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fuente should be fired for that, or so my mom a VT fan says, LMAO.

That was an absolute bonehead decision to call a timeout to ice the kicker... when he is trying a 59-yd field goal. Really?

At least Liberty had a chance to kick that long a FG!

Fuente should get a contract extension. Isn't that how it's done?
The Refs made sure that wouldn’t happen. Of all the terrible calls, my favorite was the long ND catch where the ball hit the ground and moved. The guys in the booth said no catch and brought in the NCAA official for help understanding the rule and he too explained why the evidence was “indisputable” it was no catch. After video review, the Refs on the field called it a catch, LOLOLOLOLOL.

I liked the pass interference call on Clempy in the fourth quarter which was picked up with no explanation too.

Or the ND pass to the EZ where the Clempy player had his hand on the ND helmet blocking the view (and making contact) well before the ball got there. No call.

Or the holding on ND where the OL had a hold of the jersey and the announcers said it was a good block.

At least the refs add an element of uncertainty to make it even more interesting.

The ACCCG rematch will be interesting.

GT_EE78

Banned
Fun fact - Clemson held Notre Dame’s offense out of the end zone for 49 straight minutes last night, yet they lost and Notre Dame scored 47 points. Just let that craziness sink in.
Them tiggers had it rough when the backup 5star QB only passes for 440.

Deleted member 2897

Typo, and a bad one at that. Clemson held Notre Dame’s offense out of the end zone for 59 straight minutes (FIFTY-NINE), and still lost. And still gave up 47 points.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
When all the chips were on the table and the game hung in the balance, which team performed and which team did not? If I remember correctly, Clemson had the ball at midfield with three minutes to go and a seven point lead. They proceeded to have a penalty, net 0 yards on the ground and then the stupidity to run out of bounds on 3rd down (cough, cough... Joe Frank Burns.). Then, the vaunted Clemson defense let Notre Dame march 95 yards in a minute and a half to tie the score.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
When all the chips were on the table and the game hung in the balance, which team performed and which team did not? If I remember correctly, Clemson had the ball at midfield with three minutes to go and a seven point lead. They proceeded to have a penalty, net 0 yards on the ground and then the stupidity to run out of bounds on 3rd down (cough, cough... Joe Frank Burns.). Then, the vaunted Clemson defense let Notre Dame march 95 yards in a minute and a half to tie the score.
Dabo's clock and game management were questionable during the last 3 minutes. ND had 2 time outs remaining, Clemson's play calling should have forced ND to burn their time outs. But, a penalty, and a poor play call to the short side of the field resulted in the clock stopping. Run the ball 3 times to the wide side and burn the TOs. Clemson should have been able to leave ND with less than 60 on the clock. But that only happens to CGC.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm still confused as to how ND can play for the ACC championship, & not be a full member of the ACC? Is that right?
Yes the guy in the little blue dress invited them for this year only so they would have a full schedule to play. ( ain't he nice. I would have told them too bad you didn't join before) but I'm an a**hole

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It had nothing to do with trying hard. Most coaches wouldn’t be playing their best players up 50 points. Dabo left that game with 1 healthy scholarship QB - what an idiot. Should have been running the ball, not throwing bombs up 60. He went for it on 4th down multiple times while up more than 50 points.
I am too lazy to research your claims but fair to say I am skeptical. "Multiple" times going for it on 4th down up 50? Nah.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to know which 3s were in the game with less than 30 seconds to go in the first half. Their offense was rushing up the pace of the game and their QB was throwing passes, one for a 16 yard touchdown. They pretty much had the game won by mid 2nd quarter. They were going to get the ball to start the second half. Why run up the score? Time for Clemson and Dabo to lose and I don't care for ND either.
You got your wish -- and joined the long list of us who think ND is an overrated and overhyped remnant of a program -- but they will meet again and I think you will see Clemson healed up, eliminating idiotic mistakes and thumping the Irish by two scores or more. They should have last night. I mean, up by a TD with two minutes left and ND on its 9 ... and for heaven's sake.

(I don't think the DJ guy will ever be the equal of Lawrence because he can throw to his left and he can't run the ball. But if it comes down to slinging it downfield, he has no equal and will own all the Clemson passing records before graduating. Maybe all the ACC records. The kid is a freshman and hung almost 500 yards on ND last night. Then today I see a decommit from Texas of another all-world QB who is looking at Clemson. Maybe Tech can get into that scramble?)