ACC Discussion 2020

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I still think we get 2 in. Pac12 and BigTen should be excluded - nobody with 6 or 7 wins should get in.

The big question is does Notre Dame get in at 10-2 with both losses against the #1 Clemson team. I’d take them at 10-2 over a 7-0 or 8-0 team.
The only way the ACC gets 2 teams in is if Clemson and Notre Dame split their regular season and ACCCG matchups without any other losses, and the loser of the SECCG has 3 losses. If Alabama is undefeated going into the SECCG and loses to a 1 or 2 loss Georgia/Florida team, both of those 2 get in regardless of what happens between Clemson/Notre Dame.

The Big 12 is trying their damndest to get shut out of the playoff. Oklahoma State is their best team and they got beat by a pretty mediocre Texas team. OU’s 2 losses will keep them out even if they run the table.

USC and Oregon will need to be undefeated and meet in the PAC 12 championship for the PAC winner to make it in. If that doesn’t happen it will be some combination of Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson/Notre Dame, Georgia/Florida.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The only way the ACC gets 2 teams in is if Clemson and Notre Dame split their regular season and ACCCG matchups without any other losses, and the loser of the SECCG has 3 losses. If Alabama is undefeated going into the SECCG and loses to a 1 or 2 loss Georgia/Florida team, both of those 2 get in regardless of what happens between Clemson/Notre Dame.

The Big 12 is trying their damndest to get shut out of the playoff. Oklahoma State is their best team and they got beat by a pretty mediocre Texas team. OU’s 2 losses will keep them out even if they run the table.

USC and Oregon will need to be undefeated and meet in the PAC 12 championship for the PAC winner to make it in. If that doesn’t happen it will be some combination of Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson/Notre Dame, Georgia/Florida.
Clemson is going into Saturday night's ND game with more than half dozen starters out with injuries, and a hobbled wide receiver corps that can't get downfield. Not sure what that is all about because I never had the impression that Clemson had blood curdling practice sessions. I got an interesting explanation for a lot of the ragged play on Saturday: with the Covid precautions, for instance, they can't put all the QBs in the quarterback room for briefings and teaching, because if just one -- Lawrence -- was diagnosed, they would all be quarantined and it applies to all positions. It applies to the practice field as well. The result is sloppy play.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson is going into Saturday night's ND game with more than half dozen starters out with injuries, and a hobbled wide receiver corps that can't get downfield. Not sure what that is all about because I never had the impression that Clemson had blood curdling practice sessions
Of course, the stars are aligning for Notre Dame to get the win... SMH. It's like they have a golden horseshoe up their butt every year, I have never seen a luckier team.

Funny enough, my stepdad hates that ND is playing Clemson with so many people missing because he says it will be a "cheap" win for Notre Dame, he wants them to beat Clemson at their best with Lawrence and crew.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe I'm writing this, but as of today I'm going to pull for ND to beat Clemson. Clemson is starting to get a little too high and mighty and I think it's time for them to get knocked down a peg or two. I really don't care for Notre Dame, but I'm still raw about Clemson. I know it was our job to stop them particularly in the second half of our game, but it was classless of them running up the score in the first half.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If they win this one then likely to meet Clemson in the ACC championship game and at full strength then. Clemson will have to win with defense in large measure but their back up QB is darn good too and now has a game under his belt. Will be fun to watch. BTW. Nobody is more high and mighty than ND.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
it was classless of them running up the score in the first half.
I don't blame Clemson for this. It didn't matter who Clemson was playing that game they were going to run up the score, why? Because Alabama and Georgia were playing each other that night so Clemson needed to make a statement that they deserved to stay at number one. I honestly think that was the reason they beat us by so much.

Deleted member 2897

Clemson's backup QB was a 5-star player, ranked as the #1 QB in the country. He's 6'5", 250lbs. If they lose, it won't be because they don't have enough talent. Might be a lower scoring game, but Clemson should win, even if the defense has to do a lot of the work. Clemson's bench is still significantly higher rated than most other teams. Behind Travis Etienne for example is a 5-star RB and two 4-star RBs - all 3 of which are significantly higher rated than Etienne was.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Might be a lower scoring game, but Clemson should win, even if the defense has to do a lot of the work.
The defense likely won't have to do a lot of work, Notre Dame struggled with FSU and Louisville, I think Clemson puts up 40 on ND and hold them to 17.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Of course, the stars are aligning for Notre Dame to get the win... SMH. It's like they have a golden horseshoe up their butt every year, I have never seen a luckier team.

Funny enough, my stepdad hates that ND is playing Clemson with so many people missing because he says it will be a "cheap" win for Notre Dame, he wants them to beat Clemson at their best with Lawrence and crew.

The stars are aligning for the Irish. Undefeated, playing at home, relatively healthy playing against the number one team without its star Heisman hopeful.. if Clemson wants to make a real statement beyond running up the score against Tech, they will play tough and win this game with all those factors against them. I don't think Notre Dame is that good. I believe Etienne will put this team on his back and have his own "Heisman Moment". We will see. A golden opportunity for the Gold Domers but I think they will blow it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I am not at all sure ND will beat Clemson anyway. If Clemson can withstand the first half jitters and klutzy play and get to the second half -- but not 18 points down -- then they are deep enough in the defensive line to shut Book down. (That Bresse (sp? kid is a terrific player who already looks like he came down from a higher league, and the QB I will hence forth call just DJ is other worldly, and both are freshmen.) Venables has been out-thought before, but I don't think ND will, and Swinney is a better game day coach than Kelly. But I confess. I do truly hate Notre Dame. They are the ones who sit at the front of the class and raise their hand on every question, get in line first at the water cooler, and get to go outside to dust the erasers. That's just a starting list, too.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
... but it was classless of them running up the score in the first half....
OK, you got me there. Clemson already had some 3s in the game in the second quarter, getting them time playing with the 1s and 2s while keeping the game in hand. I hate to dwell on the obvious but as a football team, we suck. Maybe the answer then is to stop playing them if we can't compete. That I would hate to see but it would be preferable to asking Clemson to tell its guys not to try so hard.

Deleted member 2897

OK, you got me there. Clemson already had some 3s in the game in the second quarter, getting them time playing with the 1s and 2s while keeping the game in hand. I hate to dwell on the obvious but as a football team, we suck. Maybe the answer then is to stop playing them if we can't compete. That I would hate to see but it would be preferable to asking Clemson to tell its guys not to try so hard.

It had nothing to do with trying hard. Most coaches wouldn’t be playing their best players up 50 points. Dabo left that game with 1 healthy scholarship QB - what an idiot. Should have been running the ball, not throwing bombs up 60. He went for it on 4th down multiple times while up more than 50 points.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

Thats not true at all. 1 loss ND/Clemson whose only losses are to each other both get in over any 2 loss non-champ SEC team.

B12 is essentially out of the race already and doubt the P12 has enough momentum to get anybody in unless an undefeated Oregon has an absurd average margin of victory.

If there’s an year a Go5 team is gonna get in this is it. Because if OSU drops a game there might be 3 P5 conferences out of the race. At that point it’s not inconceivable that we could have an all ACC/SEC playoff.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
OK, you got me there. Clemson already had some 3s in the game in the second quarter, getting them time playing with the 1s and 2s while keeping the game in hand.
I'd like to know which 3s were in the game with less than 30 seconds to go in the first half. Their offense was rushing up the pace of the game and their QB was throwing passes, one for a 16 yard touchdown. They pretty much had the game won by mid 2nd quarter. They were going to get the ball to start the second half. Why run up the score? Time for Clemson and Dabo to lose and I don't care for ND either.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
VT lost in a wild way today to Liberty.
Liberty tried to kick a 59-yd field goal. it was blocked and VT returned it for a TD - Buuuut, VT called a TO before the play to ice the kicker.
Liberty came back out with their offense and ran one more play gaining 8 yrds and having 1 second left. They kick a 51 yd FG to win.