ACC Discussion 2020

Deleted member 2897

I am too lazy to research your claims but fair to say I am skeptical. "Multiple" times going for it on 4th down up 50? Nah.

It’s in the box score. Go look it up. They were with their walk-on QB IIRC. It was definitely later in the game.

EDIT: Just looked it up. They were up 59-7 when they went for it - twice. Once was with their 3rd string QB and once was with their 4th string QB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Typo, and a bad one at that. Clemson held Notre Dame’s offense out of the end zone for 59 straight minutes (FIFTY-NINE), and still lost. And still gave up 47 points.
All the TD’s were Special teams and Defense?

I wasn’t able to watch because I’m in Mexico.

Milwaukee

Banned
Clemson will easily beat them in the rematch. They’ll get some players back including Lawrence, but the biggest is that Venables now has tape.
He refused to stop blitzing last night for some wild reason. CU fans were not happy with what he did last night.
Notre Dame OL and backs were picking up everything, they weren’t getting home but he kept selling out.
It was a little amusing I remember thinking as I watched their backers constantly not get home “damn this feels like us”.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I thought it was a testament to how good Clemson is. Backup freshman QB triples up ND PPG on defense.
Everyone focuses on Etienne and rightly so, but Rodgers may be the better player imo.
Their defense is merely “very good” this year, as I think they’re missing Simmons and are green at DL.
I think if Lawrence is healthy, they win going away.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I thought it was a testament to how good Clemson is. Backup freshman QB triples up ND PPG on defense.
Everyone focuses on Etienne and rightly so, but Rodgers may be the better player imo.
Their defense is merely “very good” this year, as I think they’re missing Simmons and are green at DL.
I think if Lawrence is healthy, they win going away.
You may want to look and see how many defensive players were out Clemson

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You may want to look and see how many defensive players were out Clemson
Exactly. And don’t forget Dabo is the King at getting his ream ready to play as an underdog. I think Clemson will route them in the ACCCG. This loss plays right into Dabo’s hands for the playoffs as well.

slugboy

Staff member
I am too lazy to research your claims but fair to say I am skeptical. "Multiple" times going for it on 4th down up 50? Nah.
Clemson went for and converted two fourth downs in our game, at least one well within the second half. The gist of what he’s saying is correct. They were also blitzing with 90 seconds left in the game.
It’s in the box score and play by play.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Clemson went for and converted two fourth downs in our game, at least one well within the second half. The gist of what he’s saying is correct. They ere also blitzing with 90 seconds left in the game.
It’s in the box score and play by play.
I am no apologist for Clemson -- when one reaches the level they have then the shots will come hot and heavy, maybe deservedly. But they are big boys. Where I have problems is for anyone to expect Clemson, or anybody else, to change their style of play because they are up big. There are two teams I have followed for several years, GT and Clemson. I don't recall ever seeing Brent Venables stop blitzing because that is his defense, every play, every angle, whether his 2-3 or 4-deeps are in there. Sometimes he is burned: ND won Saturday because it turned out that their QB could scramble enough to get first downs. Well, that and other things. But rooting for ND to win is like cheering for Mussolini.

Deleted member 2897

I am no apologist for Clemson -- when one reaches the level they have then the shots will come hot and heavy, maybe deservedly. But they are big boys. Where I have problems is for anyone to expect Clemson, or anybody else, to change their style of play because they are up big. There are two teams I have followed for several years, GT and Clemson. I don't recall ever seeing Brent Venables stop blitzing because that is his defense, every play, every angle, whether his 2-3 or 4-deeps are in there. Sometimes he is burned: ND won Saturday because it turned out that their QB could scramble enough to get first downs. Well, that and other things. But rooting for ND to win is like cheering for Mussolini.

I don’t think anybody has complained that Clemson or anybody else should tell their players to stop trying. What people were complaining about is Clemson trying to run up the score. For example, up almost 60 points, Clemson went for it twice on 4th down. One time was on their own side of the field. Why not just punt? Also, by the second time they went for it, Lawrence was the only healthy scholarship QB. Why not direct snap to an RB and just run it constantly. Their backup QBs threw the ball more than we did - and keep in mind Lawrence played into the second half even though they were up 50 points. So they threw the ball more in the second half than we did all game...while being up 50+ points. Clemson threw the ball 22x in the second half. Steinbeck was the only guy with more than 5 carries, and he only had 11. They threw the ball way more than they ran it.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What better situation for backups (3rd or 4th string) to practice than a live game? I have no issue with teams playing every play as if it matters. Those guys may be next year's starters. We as fans don't like seeing 70+ points nailed on our team, but we had no trouble putting it to Kansas a few years ago.

Deleted member 2897

What better situation for backups (3rd or 4th string) to practice than a live game? I have no issue with teams playing every play as if it matters. Those guys may be next year's starters. We as fans don't like seeing 70+ points nailed on our team, but we had no trouble putting it to Kansas a few years ago.

Well again, it’s not that 70 points happened, it’s how it happened. The most clear example being going for it on 4th down on your side of the field when up over 50 points in the second half.