ACC Discussion 2020

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
You very rarely see a coach go for it on 4th down when they are up by 50. I know it is our job to stop them but there is a reason most coaches do not do this. I highly doubt Dabo would have done this to a CPJ team. In fact some of our more recent loses to them could have been a lot worse. For some reason Dabo decided to run it up. Was it recruiting? Rankings? Who knows.

Deleted member 2897

You very rarely see a coach go for it on 4th down when they are up by 50. I know it is our job to stop them but there is a reason most coaches do not do this. I highly doubt Dabo would have done this to a CPJ team. In fact some of our more recent loses to them could have been a lot worse. For some reason Dabo decided to run it up. Was it recruiting? Rankings? Who knows.

Yea, he’s a total idiot. Clemson won by 67 points and left the game with 1 healthy scholarship QB (who got COVID 10 days later). Taking completely unnecessary risks in order to make who knows what point.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is more SEC/CFP related than ACC but interesting to follow.
With the announcment today of UGA-Missou being postponed this weekend, that means 4 of the 7 SEC games this weekend have been postponed due to COVID issues. A fifth game (Ark-FL) has a HC who will be out due to having COVID. interestingly, 2 of the teams already have a makeup scheduled for the one remaining makeup weekend so they do not have the ability to make up this second game.

There is also starting to be talk about whether to make up all the games as right now FL would have to play the week before the SEC CG while AL would not and there is a sense that that would be unfair.

Deleted member 2897

Said total idiot has two NCs and one runnerup in last five years.

And a bunch of ACC championships and bowl wins. And more NFL draft picks than we can count.

He also left our game after winning by 66 points with 1 healthy scholarship QB.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Love the refs helping ND in this game. Blatant hold on the last TD they got that was a no call, and the BS taking the onside recovery away from BC.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
And now our defense is the same as North Carolina. But they score a lot more. Offense won the game for them today despite their putrid defense
A lot of teams like that but to be championship caliber you have to do more than just go up and down the field. Sooner or later, you have to get a stop or two or three and then we see who has the big boy pants.

Deleted member 2897

Huge loss.

I was just thinking about some people like Antonneous Clayton. Boy how the NCAA screwed him over, and then Covid did the same. I was wondering if at some point he doesn’t just start focusing on the combine measurables. Can’t imagine with everything he’s been through he’d come back for another year, but who knows.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
... For example, up almost 60 points, Clemson went for it twice on 4th down. One time was on their own side of the field. ....
With mostly back ups in the game, I looked at this more as Clemson gifting an opportunity of our struggling team short fields to work with. Sadly, our team couldn't even manage this.

Also I completely agree with @orientalnc that backups need as much live game reps as possible.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I was just thinking about some people like Antonneous Clayton. Boy how the NCAA screwed him over, and then Covid did the same. I was wondering if at some point he doesn’t just start focusing on the combine measurables. Can’t imagine with everything he’s been through he’d come back for another year, but who knows.
I don't watch him on every play and maybe he's fairly disruptive when he's in the game but I haven't heard AC's name much during the games. He might need another year to improve his draft status some

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Good, but long, article about FSU's problems. I was surprised how it echoed some of what CPJ said on his way out.

Good read. Coaches are sometimes the problem (and always the lightning rods for the fans). But none of us can see behind the curtains to the much larger issues caused by a dysfunctional organization. All the people have to row in the same direction to be successful and thus, TStan may be more critical to our longterm health than CGC. You can always buy coaching talent if you are doing the other (bigger) things correctly. Dabo did not lift Clemson up by himself. That decision was made above his level. He has done his part, but is not the root cause imo.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Good, but long, article about FSU's problems. I was surprised how it echoed some of what CPJ said on his way out.
tell us more about Johnson's observations.
Good read. Coaches are sometimes the problem (and always the lightning rods for the fans). But none of us can see behind the curtains to the much larger issues caused by a dysfunctional organization. All the people have to row in the same direction to be successful and thus, TStan may be more critical to our longterm health than CGC. You can always buy coaching talent if you are doing the other (bigger) things correctly. Dabo did not lift Clemson up by himself. That decision was made above his level. He has done his part, but is not the root cause imo.
Not sure what you mean, but once the decision to hire Swinney was made, he made a massive culture shift almost single handedly and now has a program which is the envy of the country. What he managed to do was convince Clemson to be "all in" from top to bottom. I don't think many coaches could do that. One reason might be that he sneaked up on people: who expected that from a guy named Dabo?