ACC Discussion 2020

Deleted member 2897

30-41, 342 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT
6 carries, 25 yards, 1 TD
Etienne had 20 carries for 84 yards and Clemson allowed 28 points in the first half.

What games are you guys watching? Nobody thinks that Uiagalelei is better than Lawrence, but he is better than 95% of QBs in college football right now. The only schools that he wouldn’t start for today are Ohio State, Florida, Alabama, Clemson of course, and maybe North Carolina. Every other school in the country would kill to get D.J.

But since you guys are dead set on comparing DJ to Lawrence, in TLaws first start against Syracuse in 2018 he was 17-29 for 176 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT, and 2 lost fumbles. Clemson barely beat Syracuse at home 27-23. In DJs only 2 starts he’s thrown for over 340 yards both games with 3 TDs and 0 INTs. It took Lawrence 3 games to break 340 and he only did it 4 times in the 11 games he started. Lawrence also had 17(!!!) turnovers his freshman year.

It’s no surprise DJ as a true freshman isn’t as good as Lawrence as a junior with over 30 starts under his belt. But DJ is not the reason Clemson lost to Notre Dame. Might have Clemson beaten them with Lawrence at QB? Maybe. But they very easily could have beaten them with DJ playing as well. It’s a team game you know.

Syracuse was a 10 win team in 2016, LOL. DJ has played a ton this year - he didn’t just walk into Boston College flat footed. And again, who cares if he’s the second best QB on the entire country. 🤷‍♂️ Trevor just had 278 yards and 2 TDs in the first quarter tonight.

Deleted member 2897

30-41, 342 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT
6 carries, 25 yards, 1 TD
Etienne had 20 carries for 84 yards and Clemson allowed 28 points in the first half.

What games are you guys watching? Nobody thinks that Uiagalelei is better than Lawrence, but he is better than 95% of QBs in college football right now. The only schools that he wouldn’t start for today are Ohio State, Florida, Alabama, Clemson of course, and maybe North Carolina. Every other school in the country would kill to get D.J.

But since you guys are dead set on comparing DJ to Lawrence, in TLaws first start against Syracuse in 2018 he was 17-29 for 176 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT, and 2 lost fumbles. Clemson barely beat Syracuse at home 27-23. In DJs only 2 starts he’s thrown for over 340 yards both games with 3 TDs and 0 INTs. It took Lawrence 3 games to break 340 and he only did it 4 times in the 11 games he started. Lawrence also had 17(!!!) turnovers his freshman year.

It’s no surprise DJ as a true freshman isn’t as good as Lawrence as a junior with over 30 starts under his belt. But DJ is not the reason Clemson lost to Notre Dame. Might have Clemson beaten them with Lawrence at QB? Maybe. But they very easily could have beaten them with DJ playing as well. It’s a team game you know.

Well I’ve solved the riddle. Someone said DJ was a loser and you took issue with that. I missed that post and said who you arguing with so Milwaukee said that guy and then you responded to me. A 4-way melee LOL.

Anyway, Clemson has 52 points now with 10 minutes still left LOL. The machine rolls onward.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Here is something I thought about this week. With the Jets and Jaguars sitting at the top two draft spots, both of which have NOT protected their QBs (Foles and Minshew at Jags, and Darnold at the Jets. And then this past weekend Joe Burrow got his knee jacked up bad, torn ACL and MCL because the Bengals are a horrible franchise who don't protect their QB.

Does Trevor Lawrence see this and basically tell both the Jets and Jags he will not play for them? Pull a John Elway basically. I think it's something he considers.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Please. Uiagaleilei is no Trevor Lawrence, but is definitely talented.
He was the number one QB in the country last year for a reason. Dude is already the size of roethlisberger as a freshman. Or at least close. Dude will shed so many sacks it’ll be unreal.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Syracuse takes the crown for the worst 4th down end of game play ever

Yes, the QB spiked the ball on 4th down with no time left in the red zone, going for the tie or win

To clarify, it was arguably the worst 4 downs I've ever seen to end a game. 45 seconds to go at the 7 yard line and you run out of time (and that included a gifted timeout from NC State) and the ball never sniffs the end zone.

There is a pretty epic meltdown thread on the Syracuse board (lot of Cuse-specific context posts though):
That's the worst end to a game I've ever seen.

In there is this:
Was it Colorado that infamously got 5 downs to win a game years ago?

We’re not Colorado, apparently.
We would have run up the middle anyway.

Some other beauts:
I've never seen someone make the worst possible decision four times in a row.
He was able to stop the clock on 4th down.
I don't understand how with a minute to go we have 4 downs to pass the ball into the end zone, and we got zero pass attempts into the end zone.
Guys...it wasn’t a bad play on 4th down by Rex. He was hoping to get the defense back on the field. It was our best chance to score.
Everyone just completely discounting that we flawlessly executed the clock play. How many offensive plays have we shown that level of precision on this year?
Also, the mic picked up an NC State player exclaim “Oh thank God, holy s h ! t” after the spike.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
To clarify, it was arguably the worst 4 downs I've ever seen to end a game. 45 seconds to go at the 7 yard line and you run out of time (and that included a gifted timeout from NC State) and the ball never sniffs the end zone.

There is a pretty epic meltdown thread on the Syracuse board (lot of Cuse-specific context posts though):
That's the worst end to a game I've ever seen.

In there is this:

Some other beauts:
On a side note, thanks to the mods and staff members of The Swarm who maintain the site. That Cuse board is damn near unreadable with all of those ads splattered across the page. Tech may not be the best on the field, but we have an elite fan forum

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Florida State has already cancelled their game with Duke. They don’t want to play football.
My issue with this is what keeps the teams in the hunt for the playoffs from just cancelling anymore games to prevent themselves from potentially losing or having players catch COVID? I mean the committee isn't going to punish them for cancelling games so why not do it?

Milwaukee

Banned
My issue with this is what keeps the teams in the hunt for the playoffs from just cancelling anymore games to prevent themselves from potentially losing or having players catch COVID? I mean the committee isn't going to punish them for cancelling games so why not do it?
Wait til Michigan cancels due to covid vs OhioSt to keep them out of the B10 title game and possibly the CFP. People will lose their minds 😂

Deleted member 2897

The Denver Broncos just played and they didn't even have a QB. They pulled in an WR from the practice squad. If there are no negative ramifications of not playing, then you're exactly right - Notre Dame should 'postpone' every week until the ACCCG. Saves injuries and they get a full month to game for Clemson.

Deleted member 2897

Wait til Michigan cancels due to covid vs OhioSt to keep them out of the B10 title game and possibly the CFP. People will lose their minds 😂

Harbaugh at yesterday's tape review when someone mentioned this idea. Since they're 2-4, their season is pointless anyway...........

giphy.gif

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The Denver Broncos just played and they didn't even have a QB. They pulled in an WR from the practice squad. If there are no negative ramifications of not playing, then you're exactly right - Notre Dame should 'postpone' every week until the ACCCG. Saves injuries and they get a full month to game for Clemson.
Why play the ACCCG? Both ND and Clemson have inside track to playoff right now. Of the 3 outcomes: 1) Clem W; 2) ND W; or 3) Don't play .... Two of the 3 (#1 and #3) might get both ND and Clemson into the playoff.

I'm not endorsing this....just pointing out where that logic takes you.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I can't see this happening because the Big 10 would be PISSED if Harbaugh screws Ohio State out of the title game and CFP. It would be hilarious though.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm starting to think there won't be any bowl games or playoffs

Lose a good excuse to drink.

I still think that the team which can't play should forfeit. What's the difference between COVID and other injuries. I think we are where we are since the teams want to play as many games as possible and maximize revenue.

Deleted member 2897

Some ACC stats:

13th in offensive scoring at 26 ppg. 30+ ppg gets you in the top half. So our kicking game alone keeps us from being about average.

15th in defensive scoring allowed at 39. However, not everyone plays Clemson, and we also were one of a scant few who played a tough out of conference opponent. Adjusting for that puts us at 31.6 ppg which would be 11th. We also have WAY too many defensive points scored. Adjusting for that puts us at 28.6 ppg which would be 7th.

8th in offensive yardage at 393.

14th in defensive yardage allowed at 460. Taking out Clemson and UCF for comparison's sake, leaves us at 392.2, which would be 6th.

14th place in kicking is 61% (UNC, 8 of 13). We're 15th by 3 country miles at 1-6, 16%.

15th in PAT %.

#1 in Net punting at 45.7.

Jahmyr Gibbs 4th in the ACC in average all purpose yards per game.