ACC Discussion 2020-21

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Joanne McCallie reportedly leaving Duke WBB. She had another year but has decided to leave early. Duke is reducing several head coaches salaries including Coach K. Hope he can get by on only $6M or so. McCallie was making $1,3M.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Joanne McCallie reportedly leaving Duke WBB. She had another year but has decided to leave early. Duke is reducing several head coaches salaries including Coach K. Hope he can get by on only $6M or so. McCallie was making $1,3M.

Doesn’t he receive money from Nike and from USA Basketball? I think he’ll be fine

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ivy league cancelled all Fall Sports yesterday and delayed the start of Winter sports to Jan 1st at the earliest. That could have an impact on when college basketball is played.
I include this article on their decision for the following quote
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ll-evaluate-feasibility-of-playing-in-spring/

"If things don't get better, we're not even going to pay basketball," the source said. "[Decision makers are] holding out hope we can play basketball."

If Ivy cancels basketball (their one moneymaker), I think much like last spring that could have a huge impact on college basketball.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't see dtm's tweet loading above. It looks like tracking protection in my browser is blocking that (and it's built into the browser).
For those of you not seeing content load, that might be the cause.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The best team we've had in over a decade, with a real chance of being a top 4 ACC team and an NCAA tournament team...and then f'ing Covid.

Pretty much sums up GT basketball right now.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Our golf team had a really strong chance of winning the NCAA championship this spring. We were going to have a really reslly good team.
I guess Ogletree will wait to turn pro until after the masters. As reigning US Amateur champ he stays in the clubhouse and plays with Tiger the first 2 rounds. At least that has been the protocol in the past.

slugboy

Staff member
whoa whoa whoa.

I need you to expand on this comment
Just the normal ACC scheduling paranoia
  1. ACC coaches begin talking about an ACC / HBCU matchup weekend on MLK weekend
  2. An HBCU gets a 5* recruit for the first time in a while
  3. Idle speculation on which team gets matched up against the team with the 5*
Nothing more than that.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One suggestion for how to play the 20-21 basketball season so there can be a NCAA Tournament. I have heard of other similar suggestions.

Right now i would be surprised if there are any games before Jan 1. Have already heard significant chatter that basketball games before Jan 1 are unlikely. Those are mostly non-conference and with it likely fans will not be allowed it doesn't make financial sense to hold them. Travel is also not expected to be a big deal so it would not be shocking if many of the early season tournaments are eventually cancelled,

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
One suggestion for how to play the 20-21 basketball season so there can be a NCAA Tournament. I have heard of other similar suggestions.

Right now i would be surprised if there are any games before Jan 1. Have already heard significant chatter that basketball games before Jan 1 are unlikely. Those are mostly non-conference and with it likely fans will not be allowed it doesn't make financial sense to hold them. Travel is also not expected to be a big deal so it would not be shocking if many of the early season tournaments are eventually cancelled,

IMHO the logic would be that TV money would make some of the non conference "pre season" tournaments still viable as you could create a mini bubble for the teams in the pre-season NIT or Atlantis - group tourneys in a single location - and run them like the article suggests in a mini bubble. Does mean single game stuff gets difficult though not totally out of the question.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NCAA looking at potential bubble models for NCAA Tournament, fewer teams

Having an NCAA Tourney is the #1 priority for the NCAA and takes precedence over anything else including spring football.
According to the statement trying to have championships for the sports that were cancelled last season are their #1 goal.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fans often don't realize that over 80% of NCAA revenue comes from the Tournament and that is where most of the money comes from that goes back to the schools. Last year the NCAA took some of the money it had left in its reserve out to minimize the loss to the schools. If they go a second year without a Tournament that could all but dry up the NCAA (which would mean a revenue loss to the schools).