ACC Discussion 2020-21

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess same as Massoud, Sarr has said returning to Wake is an option. But both Massoud and especially Sarr will have P6 options to consider. I'll be shocked if KY does not go all out on Sarr, they need a big man in the worst way. Neath will likely get some P6 attention as well.

Forbes has a big recruiting job right now just to have 5 players.

The only players that haven't put their names in the portal are rising Jr Mucius, rising So Ingraham, and then the 2 transfers in Dubose from Houston Baptist and Wilkins from VT.
Sarr, Massoud, Oguama, Neath are all in the portal with the option to return.

2 of their 4 HS recruits also asked for a release.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Didn't see this until jus now but the NCAA Board of Directors recommended against allowing the 1-time transfer rule for now. Felt there are too many complications to work through right now and want to wait until it can all be dealt with at once. So it looks like non grad transfers migh have to sit out a year unless they get a waiver.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...agrees-to-allow-council-vote-as-early-as-may/

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Didn't see this until jus now but the NCAA Board of Directors recommended against allowing the 1-time transfer rule for now. Felt there are too many complications to work through right now and want to wait until it can all be dealt with at once. So it looks like non grad transfers migh have to sit out a year unless they get a waiver.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...agrees-to-allow-council-vote-as-early-as-may/

Too many complications to sort through, so now they will have to sort through nearly 1000 hardship waivers.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The way Sarr phrased things in an interview I don't see him returning to Wake. I think he is actually a little sore at Wake (not Manning).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be mad at a Jose, Devoe, Usher, Moses, Sarr starting five next season.....

I would be mad at Pastner if we didn't finish top 3-4 in the ACC with that lineup. The only person that didn't average at least 13 points a game in that lineup is Usher...and if he takes the next step and cleans up his game, he's a good candidate to average double figures next season.

That said, Sarr coming to GT will be tough. First there's the intra-ACC rule to contend with since he's not a graduate, and then there's the regular transfer rule of sitting out a year since the one time transfer looks like it's going to be tabled. He's already said if he has to sit a year, he's more than likely going to pro in Europe. He does have a case that Manning persuaded him to come back to finish his degree and he put off the NBA for Manning...then they fired Manning.

Would LOVE to get Sarr, but it looks like it would be a tough pull for us.

73CAV

Georgia Tech Fan
I would be mad at Pastner if we didn't finish top 3-4 in the ACC with that lineup. The only person that didn't average at least 13 points a game in that lineup is Usher...and if he takes the next step and cleans up his game, he's a good candidate to average double figures next season.

That said, Sarr coming to GT will be tough. First there's the intra-ACC rule to contend with since he's not a graduate, and then there's the regular transfer rule of sitting out a year since the one time transfer looks like it's going to be tabled. He's already said if he has to sit a year, he's more than likely going to pro in Europe. He does have a case that Manning persuaded him to come back to finish his degree and he put off the NBA for Manning...then they fired Manning.

Would LOVE to get Sarr, but it looks like it would be a tough pull for us.

The ACC very quietly eliminated the intra-conference transfer restrictions. I think it was done last year, but, as it was done almost in secret, I am unsure when the change took place. At least, that is what I have been told. It may have been a belated response to the Cam Thomas grad-transfer controversey.

Last edited:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That leaves 2 starters - Wheeler and Camara.
There have been rumors that one of their recruits may not make it to Athens and that a current player may transfer. Guess we'll see.

73CAV

Georgia Tech Fan
The Sarr transfer is kind of interesting. It would appear that it is conditional upon Sarr getting a waiver to play next year. Supposedly, he's indicated that if he doesn't get one, he'll go play in Europe until next season's NBA draft. I don't think he wants to sit. Anywhere. As of now, the NCAA does grant waivers to recruits, who have enrolled (?), when there is a coaching change. I'm not sure they'll do it for Sarr. The bigger question might be that with all that is going on at the moment, even if the NCAA is inclined to grant the waiver, will they be able to get around to doing so before Valentine's Day?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Sarr transfer is kind of interesting. It would appear that it is conditional upon Sarr getting a waiver to play next year. Supposedly, he's indicated that if he doesn't get one, he'll go play in Europe until next season's NBA draft. I don't think he wants to sit. Anywhere. As of now, the NCAA does grant waivers to recruits, who have enrolled (?), when there is a coaching change. I'm not sure they'll do it for Sarr. The bigger question might be that with all that is going on at the moment, even if the NCAA is inclined to grant the waiver, will they be able to get around to doing so before Valentine's Day?

The thing about Sarr is Danny Manning talked him into staying and not declaring for the NBA, and then Wake Forest also asked him to delay his decision...then they fired Manning. He does have a case. Whether the NCAA sees it they way Sarr sees it is another thing. Those that have talked about Sarr's situation have said he does have a strong case to for an immediate eligibility exception...plus it's Kentucky. They probably put some feelers out with some ties in the NCAA and got positive feedback because...well, Kentucky.