ACC Discussion 2020-21

73CAV

Georgia Tech Fan
If it is an issue for coaches past a certain age to be involved, that might suggest a level of risk many parents would be unwilling to have their sons/daughters face. If there are coaches who refuse to participate, how many players will not participate because their parents object?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If it is an issue for coaches past a certain age to be involved, that might suggest a level of risk many parents would be unwilling to have their sons/daughters face. If there are coaches who refuse to participate, how many players will not participate because their parents object?
It is going to be an interesting Fall...and (apparently) beyond.

It isn't clear this covid thing is going to be as disastrous as the media would like us all to believe. Or it might be. Very hard to tell. But the national stats are frightening because they are so skewed by the extreme outbreaks in the northeast (NYC metro area primarily). Deaths per 100,000 people remain below 15 in most of the country whereas in the northeast they are up well over 100. The disparity is...huge. Georgia (14), Ohio (12), Virgina (10) Florida (8), California (7), Wisconsin (7) and Texas (4) all are well below not just the national average (over 25, with the northeastern states averaging over 100) but the European average as well (roughly 50). Clearly some of this is due to mitigation efforts. A lot (my guess here) also has to do with level of urbanization. I am not sure if any of that data changes anything about policies in the Fall. Children under 16 have also been shown to be far less infectious (much lower R0 in todays lingo) than adults, based on studies out of Europe and Australia. It is NOT clear if this applies to college aged kids as well..I have seen nothing one way or the other on that group.

I am guessing that most elementary schools will be back in session this Fall, based on the latest scientific data. There is a certain pressure that can occur when society is moving forward with re-opening.

But, all of that is merely my conjecture and guesswork, and I could be totally wrong.

Interesting times, for sure....

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The Zion Williamson lawsuit is going to be interesting. If he received impermissible benefits it will likely come out in court. The woman he originally signed as his agent has a $100M lawsuit against him. That will be a huge settlement to keep it out of the courts. This could really put a damper on Duke recruiting if it comes out in court and the NCAA puts violations on them. I could see Coach K retiring if he can't get the top 10 players to come there and no post season play.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If anyone was wondering why Saba didn't start at Prolific Prep, there's your answer.

Saba started about half the games.

But Prolific prep was loaded. I believe they had 6 or 7 guys end up going to P5 programs (or G league I guess) just from their senior class

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

This has been discussed a little bit at this point. While the idea is a good one as long as it is monetarily beneficial to HBCU's, does the ACC going to their home courts and kicking the **** out of them on MLK day actually make sense? Would it be better as an ESPN sponsored primetime event like some others where the MEAC and the SWAC get after it?

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow

This doesn’t seem like a very good idea to me. What if the HBCU’s have better things to do on MLK day than play basketball. Not to mention, if the ACC schools win the games by a considerable margin, I’m not sure that sends the right message.
I’d rather see the ACC schools partner with the HBCU’s on a service project but that may be tough to do in the middle of the season.

LibertyTurns

Banned
This has been discussed a little bit at this point. While the idea is a good one as long as it is monetarily beneficial to HBCU's, does the ACC going to their home courts and kicking the **** out of them on MLK day actually make sense? Would it be better as an ESPN sponsored primetime event like some others where the MEAC and the SWAC get after it?
It starts with a chance. What the HBCU’s do with it over a 10 year period will define their level of success but at least they had their shot. The ‘69 Mets won the World Series so anything’s possible.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/25/acc-basketball-power-rankings-duke-virginia-unc

6. Georgia Tech: The Yellow Jackets went a surprising 11–9 in the ACC last season despite a postseason ban, and while some of that was due to the conference’s overall lack of depth, the bet here is that this team will keep improving thanks to the return of four starters.

ACC Burning Questions
Is Georgia Tech ready to break out?
Freed from its postseason ban of 2020, Georgia Tech can set its sights on bigger tangible goals again. A realistic one is trying to earn the program’s first NCAA tournament bid since 2010, and first under coach Josh Pastner. With four starters back—including backcourt duo Michael Devoe (who took a big leap as a sophomore) and Jose Alvarado—the Yellow Jackets are in position to build on last season, and will be an experienced bunch with three senior starters.

There are a couple of major questions though: 1) what becomes of the center position after the graduation of James Banks? and 2) how much can the offense improve? Transfer center Rodney Howard will need a waiver to be eligible this fall, and without him, a lot will come down to how quickly three-star freshmen Saba Gigiberia (a 7-footer) and Jordan Meka can get up to speed with the college game. As for the offense, the Jackets boasted a top-20 defense (per KenPom) last season but just the 171st-best offense, weighed down by a major turnover problem and streaky outside shooting—though the latter improved during conference play. Cutting down on the giveaways will be a must, though.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pitino is suggesting that college basketball be delayed until January and then only play conference games.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...r-college-basketball-season-amid-coronavirus/

I'm not afraid to say that after the last couple of weeks I am concerned about a college basketball season - and we have to get through a college football season before we can even get to a college basketball one. But making it work in the middle of winter with both the flu and likely COVID swirling around and playing indoors is going to be a significant task that is likely to entail alot of out of the box thinking.

Even the NBA hasn't finalized its 20-21 season and there is alot of chatter that they are looking to play without fans or possibly very few.

slugboy

Staff member
Pitino is suggesting that college basketball be delayed until January and then only play conference games.

Even the NBA hasn't finalized its 20-21 season and there is alot of chatter that they are looking to play without fans or possibly very few.

I didn’t think I’d agree with Pitino today, but that sounds reasonable for what we know today.

For the NBA, no fans makes every arena a Hawks home court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk