ACC Discussion 2020-21

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't watched the ACC much outside of the teams we've played. I know UNC and Duke are struggling this season.

Outside of UVA and FSU, what other teams in the ACC have looked as good as us? UVA is currently first in the ACC, and there were large stretches against them where we looked totally dominant.
As good as us the last two games or as good as us the whole season?

We beat UNC by 5, at home, which suggests they're playing about like us. They're now on a 5 game win streak, outside of a 7 point loss in Tallahassee. Louisville, Va Tech, Clemson, Syracuse have had their moments e.g., Va Tech beat 'Nova.

Probably would just recommend referencing NET rankings or KenPom, which while not perfect suggest the pecking order and tiers of performance this year.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Updated NET rankings for ACC teams:
8) Virginia
21) Florida State
40) Syracuse
42) Louisville
49) Virginia Tech
51) North Carolina
53) Clemson
56) Georgia Tech
58) Pittsburgh
85) NC State
90) Duke
96) Notre Dame
109) Wake Forest
132) Boston College
149) Miami

Rather than argue about how silly some of these seem, I'd rather look at it from the perspective of how many games we can actually win in the ACC this year. According to this, there are only 2 teams significantly better than us. We can definitely win a lot of games this year if we keep playing at this level.
There is a bunch of other silliness in NET that hasn't been worked out yet - Colgate and Drake are still in the top 15 or so but should drop as their SOS plummets compared to others. Also, Penn State is ahead of us with a losing record. I think a bunch of the middling Big 10 teams will drop as they take some more losses. Key though is we can't lose to a weak #90 Duke ;)

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Updated NET rankings for ACC teams:
8) Virginia
21) Florida State
40) Syracuse
42) Louisville
49) Virginia Tech
51) North Carolina
53) Clemson
56) Georgia Tech
58) Pittsburgh
85) NC State
90) Duke
96) Notre Dame
109) Wake Forest
132) Boston College
149) Miami

Rather than argue about how silly some of these seem, I'd rather look at it from the perspective of how many games we can actually win in the ACC this year. According to this, there are only 2 teams significantly better than us. We can definitely win a lot of games this year if we keep playing at this level.
I see the scoreboard is not a consideration in these rankings. Personal bias is the only criteria?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
watch the little of that game. Clemson put up absolutely no resistance. it was actually kind of hard to watch how bad they were playing

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Clemson lost by 26 today. They’ve looked like *** for awhile.

Clemson has had a rough stretch. UVA,. @GT, @FSU, UL, @Duke is a hard row to hoe. Is that how that expression goes?

Anyways, they were certainly overhyped after the early wins, but I don't think there as dismal as they've looked recently. I expect they'll bounce back in the back half of their schedule.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clemson has had a rough stretch. UVA,. @GT, @FSU, UL, @Duke is a hard row to hoe. Is that how that expression goes?

Anyways, they were certainly overhyped after the early wins, but I don't think there as dismal as they've looked recently. I expect they'll bounce back in the back half of their schedule.
Let them bounce back after we beat them again.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Jalen Johnson playing now has made a big difference in duke being more competitive recently. Without him we probably would have beaten them.