ACC Discussion 2019

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Coaching really makes a difference (although generally it can only do so much without talent), although I probably believe the UL team had given up on Petrino and his nonsense last year. Satterfield is a good coach, and it shows tonight.

Our main issues are in the D front 7, pass blocking OL's, and of course getting a QB that can run the new offense with more precision and passing skills.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
And what does that have to do with our offense? Don’t act like ND and Clemson are near the same animal.

I agree Louisville is looking better than expected but Satterfield is also working with more weapons than we are right now. They are better at every position group on offense except rb.
Dude get over yourself. Tech Curb stomped UL last year. You're telling me we have lesser talent than UL? I think we can all agree the defense is already showing improvement, but that offense, well it was against Clemson so I'm trying to hold my judgement, but it ain't looking great. But you are just disrespectful with your comments about our players, get that mess out of here.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Coaching really makes a difference (although generally it can only do so much without talent), although I probably believe the UL team had given up on Petrino and his nonsense last year. Satterfield is a good coach, and it shows tonight.

Our main issues are in the D front 7, pass blocking OL's, and of course getting a QB that can run the new offense with more precision and passing skills.
What is the new offense? I know coach p has stated that he wants to run what fits our guys, but has he said specifically what we are running? It looked similar at times to what we ran with Vad Lee out of the diamond.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It’s the same people we stomped last yr

ND replaced some NFL guys who were having issues fitting the run

They lost their last 5 games by aversge of 50 points. We beat them by 35. If they are without talent they sure got ND s attention in first half.

I was not saying any thing about our players or the stupid defensive aligment that usf, bg, lousiville and vt ran and coach stomped them w bb going wide . U make it sound like our guys mud wrestled them .

I still say these guys are fast and they play fast. The muliple fumbles hurt them badly but they played to the end .

I say they end up middle or above in the atlantic. hopefully we are the same in coastal even during the transition.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
And what does that have to do with our offense? Don’t act like ND and Clemson are near the same animal.

I agree Louisville is looking better than expected but Satterfield is also working with more weapons than we are right now. They are better at every position group on offense except rb.

Why do the CPJ bashers go to bashing our players as soon as someone questions the current staff?

Amidoinitrite?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
UL lost big last year because of bad coaching, and then later the team mailed it in. They are in much better position for a coaching change than us because they aren’t facing a radical rebuild on offense.

Jmonty71

Banned
So, we all know Clemson will be the best team in the ACC. The question is, who is the second best team? It's pretty wide open. Miami, UVA, Syracuse?? What's your opinion? Who's your dark horse? Team that will surprise most folks.,..

My vote is Miami, for #2... I think they have a most talent.

As a dark horse. UNC is going to be better than most think.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
UL Previews:

Athlon:
Satterfield faces a multi-year rebuild of talent and attitude. Lots of work. A program that ranked fifth in the national playoff poll in November 2016 looks primed to miss the bowl scene in back-to-back seasons. There are too many questions at quarterback, running back, offensive line and across the defense. Time to recruit.

SBNation:
The best thing I can say about this year's Louisville team is that, whatever progress Satterfield and his staff can unearth, most of the reasons for it will return in 2020 and potentially 2021. Petrino's two deep became a smoking crater almost overnight, but that will continue to mean plenty of opportunities for youngsters.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
UL lost big last year because of bad coaching, and then later the team mailed it in. They are in much better position for a coaching change than us because they aren’t facing a radical rebuild on offense.
Let's stop calling it a rebuild, that implies it wasn't working. Call it a transition if you like, although nobody gave CPJ a free pass for transitioning from the pro style to the option offense.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Let's stop calling it a rebuild, that implies it wasn't working. Call it a transition if you like, although nobody gave CPJ a free pass for transitioning from the pro style to the option offense.

A rebuild actually implies that something was working, else it would just be a building, but is expected to not work as well this year because of changing pieces. This would likely have been a rebuilding year anyways with how much we lost, but we're going through a transition on top of that.

Also, plenty of people were willing to give Johnson time to get his players into the system especially since the our offense was the primary reason for firing Gailey. Fortunately on offense he inherited arguably the best RB we've ever had, a top 3 WR we've had, and a QB that turned out to be a near perfect fit with what we needed during the transition. Even then there was plenty of talk about waiting until he got his guys on the OL.

Also, in 2008 it took until game 11 for the offense to really click, and it'd be viewed in a much different light had he not also inherited a senior NFL bound DL that allowed us to win some low scoring games early while our offense transitioned.

Against BC in 2008, we scored 19 points on 235 total yards with 3 turnovers. We averaged 5.6 yards per pass and 4.1 yards per play. That really isn't any better than what happened against clemson on the offensive side of the ball.

This year we have very good running backs. Not Dwyer good, but good. We don't have a WR close to Thomas, and we'll need to wait and see if any of the QBs prove to be as good a fit for the new offense as Nesbitt was to the option. If it turns out that we do have a good fit for QB then I expect there will be a similar improvement over the course of the year. Even then not having Dwyer or Thomas level playmakers will probably make it less drastic. The big difference though is we don't have a DL to wins us low scoring games while we wait for the transition to happen. The 08 team would probably lose 3 or 4 more games if they had the defense from pretty much any year since.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
So, we all know Clemson will be the best team in the ACC. The question is, who is the second best team? It's pretty wide open. Miami, UVA, Syracuse?? What's your opinion? Who's your dark horse? Team that will surprise most folks.,..

I agree with Miami having the best talent for #2, but I would pick either UVA or Syracuse as my #2 because I think Mendenhal and Babers are better coaches than Diaz will pan out to be.

I don't agree with UNC, IMO, Mack Brown won't last long ...

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow

I think UNC might win the division.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
A rebuild actually implies that something was working, else it would just be a building, but is expected to not work as well this year because of changing pieces. This would likely have been a rebuilding year anyways with how much we lost, but we're going through a transition on top of that.

Also, plenty of people were willing to give Johnson time to get his players into the system especially since the our offense was the primary reason for firing Gailey. Fortunately on offense he inherited arguably the best RB we've ever had, a top 3 WR we've had, and a QB that turned out to be a near perfect fit with what we needed during the transition. Even then there was plenty of talk about waiting until he got his guys on the OL.

Also, in 2008 it took until game 11 for the offense to really click, and it'd be viewed in a much different light had he not also inherited a senior NFL bound DL that allowed us to win some low scoring games early while our offense transitioned.

Against BC in 2008, we scored 19 points on 235 total yards with 3 turnovers. We averaged 5.6 yards per pass and 4.1 yards per play. That really isn't any better than what happened against clemson on the offensive side of the ball.

This year we have very good running backs. Not Dwyer good, but good. We don't have a WR close to Thomas, and we'll need to wait and see if any of the QBs prove to be as good a fit for the new offense as Nesbitt was to the option. If it turns out that we do have a good fit for QB then I expect there will be a similar improvement over the course of the year. Even then not having Dwyer or Thomas level playmakers will probably make it less drastic. The big difference though is we don't have a DL to wins us low scoring games while we wait for the transition to happen. The 08 team would probably lose 3 or 4 more games if they had the defense from pretty much any year since.
There's no denying that bay bay is a once in a generation wr, and we are fortunate to have had Calvin as well. Dwyer was great as well. What people don't realize is that the trenches are everything and option offense has a hard time if the OL is not quick enough. They were able to make it work in 08 with a line recruited to a totally different system. This is where I don't think it's fair to just say well these players don't for the player system. Neither did the players in 08 on paper at least, but CPJ made it work. Besides coach p is supposed to run an offense that fits the current talent, which further refutes the use of the term rebuild. Skill players are nice, but if the line doesn't exist, it doesn't matter. That's what we are unfortunately struggling with right now on both sides. I think this has more to do with apr changes that made it more difficult with academic schools, like us to recruit big uglies, which it's especially hard to find one on the d line that can cut it at this school academically. That paired with what I posted before which shows tech reducing our recruiting budget by more than 20% since 2012-2013 season while most other schools increased by at least 50% and elite schools increased the budget even more than that. See below the column highlighted in gold:

IMG_20190903_123000.jpg

I haven't seen any recruits that are highly rated on the line yet either by Collins. This is the major recruiting challenge currently at tech in my opinion. Hoping having this new AD can help correct that because skill players are great to have, but without a proper line, there's not much value there. This is also true vice versa so we are ok skill wise. Btw Johnson help coach nessbit into an elite option QB. He ran out of the gun in highschool and did a whole lot of passing. Also had a year under CCG's offense, so he wasn't option ready when Johnson got here.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What people don't realize is that the trenches are everything and option offense has a hard time if the OL is not quick enough. They were able to make it work in 08 with a line recruited to a totally different system. This is where I don't think it's fair to just say well these players don't for the player system. Neither did the players in 08 on paper at least, but CPJ made it work.

That's the thing though. The option didn't really work, at least early on, in 2008. BC, VT, Clemson, UVA, GW, UNC. Even duke was more on the talent advantage Bebe and Dwyer had over the doormat team. Johnson did a good job but even then it wasn't an overly impressive showing until we blew out miami and beat UGA, but it took a near entire season to get there. There were flashes, but those flashes also largely centered around the talent at skill positions (like against Duke when Bebe went nuts). Johnson made it work primarily because he had an elite DL to lean on while working things out.

Besides coach p is supposed to run an offense that fits the current talent,

Coaches run their system. They may tailor the playcalls in them to the talent they have (for instance we'll probably be run heavier this year than most), but we're not running an offense that fits the current talent. We're running a limited version of the offense to try and get the closest fit with the talent. The coaches talked up a lot of things in the offseason that need to be taken with a more than a little salt.

Btw Johnson help coach nessbit into an elite option QB. He ran out of the gun in highschool and did a while lot of passing. Also had a year under CCG's offense, so he wasn't option ready when Johnson got here.

You're right that he wasn't option ready from a making reads point of view. However, he was 100% physically ready to do what the option required him to do. Beyond that his style of running compensated somewhat for the weaknesses of the team around him in that he could get tough yards even if the blocking wasn't perfect. His style of running, and the offense being naturally run heavy anyways, made it easier for Johnson to have called runs and dress them up as option plays making it easier for Nesbitt. This year it's possible Graham, for example, has the tools needed to succeed in this offense. but I don't think it's likely that he has an equivalent attribute that will make up for the weakness on the OL the way Nesbitt's power running did. Basically, Nesbitt was damn good in 08 despite not being a great option QB, which he became in 09. I think our QBs have potential to be great QBs with a year of experience, but I don't really see how they will be good this year without the ability make the reads and throws that they aren't used to.