ACC & CFB playoffs....

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I recall reading about evolution of the spread option and the author made two comments. First, because it emphasizes speed and agility over brawn, it's ideal for smaller teams that can't recruit the big players.

But ...

He also opined that in the hands of a fast and strong team, they would be a killer. Think Secretariat.

That's Bama today. Strong defense, big fast players. And a much more unpredictable offense. Great fun to watch.

Makes you wonder what kind of damage CPJ would do with those type of players...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Makes you wonder what kind of damage CPJ would do with those type of players...

probably the same type of damage that Saban has done or most any good coach (the top 20--30 in CFB) would do. Even CCG would have killed it over there because he would have had the athletes on O to consistently be on the winning side of those 20 - 14 games that he loved. Just my opinion of course.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
probably the same type of damage that Saban has done or most any good coach (the top 20--30 in CFB) would do. Even CCG would have killed it over there because he would have had the athletes on O to consistently be on the winning side of those 20 - 14 games that he loved. Just my opinion of course.

Well let's consider the numbers over that same time span using Alabama's OFEI:

2008 - 14 (GT 24)
2009 - 6 (GT 2)
2010 - 6 (GT 64)
2011 - 7 (GT 16)
2012 - 4 (GT 11)
2013 - 10 (GT 39)
2014 - 14 (GT 3)
2015 - 18 (GT 88)
2016* - 17 (GT 9) *Through 8 games

Outside of 2010, 2013, and 2015, CPJ has been within 10 spots of Alabama. In 2009, 2014, and so far this year, GT has been a more efficient offense than Alabama's. Think about that. The average 'Bama offensive starter is probably just above 4 stars, and GT's offensive starters are just above 3 stars. Alabama has had how many Heisman RBs and 1st round offensive talent?

The numbers CPJ has been able to put up is extremely impressive if you take a moment to think about it. Give him 'Bama's talent? I'm pretty sure GT just might have a national championship by now! (let's not bring up the defense...:()

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I was reading today about the number of special admits and the percentage at each school that don't even meet collegiate level reading. (Tutors report that many football players can't read polysyllabic words at all.)

A quick scan showed that almost all the SEC schools reported that they don't track the SAT scores of their players so they have no idea. (Plausible deniability) The lone exception was Georgia - they did have the data and 22 of 317 SA's over a five year period could barely spell "cat".

I guess in the big scheme of things, we should be thankful.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Give him 'Bama's talent? I'm pretty sure GT just might have a national championship by now! (let's not bring up the defense...:()

I think you misunderstood my post?? I think CPJ (and maybe a dozen or two others) would do as well over there as CNS. Why? GaSou was a Bama like power (i.e. regular contender for NC's) in their division during Paul's time there. GaSou's athletes were the FCS (I think this is correct) equivalent of Bama's. So, like Saban or Meyer, if he has talent as good or better than anyone else's, he is capable of winning NC's.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ (and maybe a dozen or two others) would do as well over there as CNS.

I'm not so sure. I don't doubt CPJ's ability. GaSou, Tech, Navy are football clubs; but the Bama organization is BIG. It's the equivalent of an NFL team. He'd have to deal with all the booster organizations, politicians, business leaders, all the meddling, etc.

Many have choked on it.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If you don't win your conference, don't even talk to me about deserving a spot in the playoffs. End of rant. I don't care what the records are.
Kinda agree. But what if the conference winners have 2 or more losses? LSU being in the BCS a few years ago was a travesty.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm not so sure. I don't doubt CPJ's ability. GaSou, Tech, Navy are football clubs; but the Bama organization is BIG. It's the equivalent of an NFL team. He'd have to deal with all the booster organizations, politicians, business leaders, all the meddling, etc.

Many have choked on it.

A good point...that's why I refrained from saying ANY coach could do what Saban has done over there. That's clearly not the case. maybe I was being too generous in saying a dozen or so, but I do agree with your premise.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Alabama's offense isn't the same pound it out, play action "pro style" offense most fans think of when they think Alabama football. Lane Kiffen (yes, THAT Lane Kiffen) has totally transformed that offense. Their offense resembles more Louisville and Clemson than Saban's give it to the 5 star RB and let the OL smash the defense days. They're running a lot of tempo no huddle, spread, and option concepts. Their QB (a freshman) is a true dual threat guy as opposed to the statue drop back passers. The same kind of offense Saban railed against years ago ( http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2012/10/is_this_what_we_want_football.html ) is what has transformed 'Bama. Add their usual dominant defense, and 'Bama has become a terror.

Pretty good article discussing what I touched on earlier regarding 'Bama's transformation on offense.

http://www.campusrush.com/alabama-c...n-2077759703.html?xid=socialflow_twitter_sicr