ACC & CFB playoffs....

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Assuming close losses... Should the committee treat an 11-1 Ala team with a regular season loss different than a 12-1 Ala team with an SECCG loss?

I believe the committee treats conference championship games as "play-in" deals although that's not explicitly stated as far as I know.

At this point, a 4 team playoff without Alabama seems nuts.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Looks like a one loss SEC is better than an undefeated PAC team. Hmmmm! And Penn State jumps to the top 12 after a win over an "overrated" Buckeye bunch. Hmmm! Of course, still got a ways to go.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It's difficult for me to see any scenario that doesn't have Alabama as the NC. They are just head and shoulders above every one this year. Funny ... no one expected much from them this year.
I disagree. Talent wise maybe but I wouldn’t discount the fact that Clemson can play with anyone and Watson has shown the ability to pull out games in the clutch, Lamar Jackson can allow his team to beat anyone in the country, Urban Meyer knows how to beat Saban’s D, and Michigan and Washington are playing complete mistake free games on both sides of the ball. Bama is not unbeatable and has not been unbeatable since Mark Ingram was there. You can slow their offense down.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has had 3 very close games that were decided by refs, to say they can hang with Alabama is a stretch. I don't see them hanging with Michigan either

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Alabama's offense isn't the same pound it out, play action "pro style" offense most fans think of when they think Alabama football. Lane Kiffen (yes, THAT Lane Kiffen) has totally transformed that offense. Their offense resembles more Louisville and Clemson than Saban's give it to the 5 star RB and let the OL smash the defense days. They're running a lot of tempo no huddle, spread, and option concepts. Their QB (a freshman) is a true dual threat guy as opposed to the statue drop back passers. The same kind of offense Saban railed against years ago ( http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2012/10/is_this_what_we_want_football.html ) is what has transformed 'Bama. Add their usual dominant defense, and 'Bama has become a terror.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
A one loss sec team will not be left out of playoffs even if for some reason they aren't conference champs. SECSPN will make sure of this!

Only three teams can be one loss SEC teams. Bama, Texas A&M, and Florida. If UF remains a 1 loss team, it will be SEC champion and in the playoff. If A&M remains a 1 loss team, it will be SEC champion and in the playoff. If Bama loses to Auburn, but wins the SECCG, it will be in the playoff. If Bama loses to A&M, but wins out afterwards, then I think Bama gives the SEC two teams. If bama loses to Auburn, more likely of the scenarios, but wins out, then the SEC will get a one loss team into the playoffs. No way the SEC gets a 2 loss team in unless chaos ensues elsewhere.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Alabama's offense isn't the same pound it out, play action "pro style" offense most fans think of when they think Alabama football. Lane Kiffen (yes, THAT Lane Kiffen) has totally transformed that offense. Their offense resembles more Louisville and Clemson than Saban's give it to the 5 star RB and let the OL smash the defense days. They're running a lot of tempo no huddle, spread, and option concepts. Their QB (a freshman) is a true dual threat guy as opposed to the statue drop back passers. The same kind of offense Saban railed against years ago ( http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2012/10/is_this_what_we_want_football.html ) is what has transformed 'Bama. Add their usual dominant defense, and 'Bama has become a terror.

I believe you are correct....Saban's ability to see the offensive trend and change his whole philosophy to reflect that trend, which included hiring someone like Kiffin, and recruiting some different type players (especially a mobile QB)...are paying off big time for them this year. That's why he gets the big bucks, as they say....

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Only three teams can be one loss SEC teams. Bama, Texas A&M, and Florida. If UF remains a 1 loss team, it will be SEC champion and in the playoff. If A&M remains a 1 loss team, it will be SEC champion and in the playoff. If Bama loses to Auburn, but wins the SECCG, it will be in the playoff. If Bama loses to A&M, but wins out afterwards, then I think Bama gives the SEC two teams. If bama loses to Auburn, more likely of the scenarios, but wins out, then the SEC will get a one loss team into the playoffs. No way the SEC gets a 2 loss team in unless chaos ensues elsewhere.

Bama has already beaten Texas A&M, ergo the Aggies could be a 1 loss team and not even in their conference championship game (unless Bama losses two conference games)....just like Louisville.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Bama has already beaten Texas A&M, ergo the Aggies could be a 1 loss team and not even in their conference championship game (unless Bama losses two conference games)....just like Louisville.

AGH. You are right. I still don't see A&M keeping out a conference champion with 1 loss. I think they will get leapfrogged at the end of the year.

jeffgt14

If Bama loses to Auburn, Auburn will be in the SECCG barring they don’t lose to Vandy or uga.

jeffgt14

Actually I guess it would be a 3 way tie if A&M also has one loss. Tiebreaker may go to the highest ranked team aka which team beat Ole Miss the worst.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Bama has already beaten A&m. They could lose to LSU and Auburn. We really don't know how good BAMA is. They could be great, but the only team they have beaten outside the SEC is a bad USC team.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think Alabama winning it all is a foregone conclusion. They have looked good but some of their wins don't look as good now as they did when played. Tennessee is a 5-3 trainwreck and don't forget UT won two games they arguably should have lost (App St. and UGA). Arkansas is not looking so hot and neither is Ole Miss. I also thinkBama has a talented but young QB who could make some mistakes. The Bama defense does look good but so did last year's and Clemson torched them pretty good. Bama's offense kept pace last year and may have to as well this year.

The A&M win is Bama's shining armor. However, I think there is a good argument that Michigan and Clemson should be rated above them given each has 3 wins against top 25 competition and Bama only 1.

That doesn't mean I think Clemson and Michigan are better than Bama. It just means I think ratings should be based more on math and less on eye tests which I find are subject to manipulation and perceptions.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I recall reading about evolution of the spread option and the author made two comments. First, because it emphasizes speed and agility over brawn, it's ideal for smaller teams that can't recruit the big players.

But ...

He also opined that in the hands of a fast and strong team, they would be a killer. Think Secretariat.

That's Bama today. Strong defense, big fast players. And a much more unpredictable offense. Great fun to watch.