ACC Bowl Action

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Its hard to judge anything in the second half when the game is already a blowout. On one side you have excited guys who rarely play getting a chance in a stress free winning environment. On the other side you have a completely dejected team that is just trying to run the clock out. Remember the Clemson game from a few years ago? Apparently their punter was a better QB than Jeff Sims.

It's hard to judge either way...we can guess at motivations, but it would be just that...guesses.

At the end of the day in sports, all you can do is point to the scoreboard.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
It's hard to judge either way...we can guess at motivations, but it would be just that...guesses.

The scoreboard is what matters, but there is context. Techs 222-0 blowout of Cumberland was against a ragtag bunch of students recruited to fulfill a contractual obligation. No more no less.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The scoreboard is what matters, but there is context. Techs 222-0 blowout of Cumberland was against a ragtag bunch of students recruited to fulfill a contractual obligation. No more no less.

Agree. Anyone who watched the game understood what was going on.

The point is that to guess the motivations of reserves vs reserves is an exercise in futility.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I worry about how NIL will affect momentum of a program. Particularly our program. Can you imagine this team with Jared Ivey, Akelo Stone, Jordan Domineck?

Ivey had 46 tackles, 5.5 sacks for Ole Miss at DE.
Stone had 27 tackles, 2.5 sacks for Ole Miss at DT.
Domineck had 51 tackles, 5 sacks for Colorado at OLB/DE.

All guys that could have been beneficial to our defense this year. Ivey and Stone have another season. Now we've lost Kennard and Douse of our DL. How loaded would our defense have been if all the guys were on the roster next year? I made a point in another thread that it seem GT is becoming an incubator for DLs...only for other schools to take them away.

That's not including other guys that would be better players this year and next year that left for NIL reasons. That's the reality of the college environment now.

I know GT is building up our war chest for NIL, but there will always be some schools that can outspend us.
I agree. I don’t like the NIL and I believe it ends bad down the road.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The good news is that I’m pretty confident Brent Key would have our guys motivated to play if we found ourselves in F$U’s situation. He’d probably say something like “They didn’t take us in the playoffs because they think we got lucky this year. Let’s show them how wrong they are about Georgia Tech! Let’s win more games than any Georgia Tech team ever has!”

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I will say that reading everyone's virtue signaling (not just here but everywhere) about FSU's culture is kind of ridiculous. Ohio State got pummeled because players didn't play. So did UNC. Oregon St looked like a shell of their former selves. Clemson nearly lost a game they should have won comfortably because of opt outs and transfers. Penn State had key players opting out. Notre Dame had key players opting out. USC had Key players opting out. Oregon has some key players opting out. LSU has the Heisman Trophy winner opting out. UGA had two star players injured that we know wouldn't have been injured had they been playing in the playoffs.

Nearly every projected first round pick in the draft that isn't playing in the playoffs decided to opt out. While I agree that FSU was egregious, this really isn't an FSU culture problem. Its a culture problem for college football in general if you want to even call it that. Will Shipley was on the fence about returning or entering the draft and decided to play in his bowl game. While I guess that makes him a good teammate in the eyes of many, he was carted off the field with an injury and now his future is really uncertain.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Cumberland shouldn't have hired a bunch of ringers to play GT baseball and beat them 22-0 when John Heisman was also the baseball coach. They got what they deserved.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Well, you used to be able to point to a scoreboard.

It was the SEC who originally started the “we didn’t really want to be there” excuse for why an SEC team lost a bowl game, thus preserving their reputation as the toughest conference. It worked a long time for them and I understand they think they have a patent on it and no one else can use it.

Then came a committee who said 13-0 on the field of play isn’t nearly as compelling as our crystal ball which says you can’t win the big games.

All of the alternating anger and making fun of FSU obscures the larger story that results don’t matter, until ESPN says they do, and the playoff committee and the SEC concur.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The good news is that I’m pretty confident Brent Key would have our guys motivated to play if we found ourselves in F$U’s situation. He’d probably say something like “They didn’t take us in the playoffs because they think we got lucky this year. Let’s show them how wrong they are about Georgia Tech! Let’s win more games than any Georgia Tech team ever has!”
Except even Brent Key would not say that.

He would have players he’s nurtured, and loved, and trained up to their full potential, and they come to him and say, “Coach, I’m eligible for the draft this year and I’m afraid of getting an injury right when I’m going to land a life changing contract.” And he would let them opt out because it would be on his conscience the rest of his life if something happened.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Don't have to like him, much less the team he coaches, but Ol' Kirby is right with his comments.

1000003873.png

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Except even Brent Key would not say that.

He would have players he’s nurtured, and loved, and trained up to their full potential, and they come to him and say, “Coach, I’m eligible for the draft this year and I’m afraid of getting an injury right when I’m going to land a life changing contract.” And he would let them opt out because it would be on his conscience the rest of his life if something happened.
Used to be players took insurance policies against something like that. Now they just break their commitment to their team. No big deal.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We can cross that bridge when we have multiple 1st round draft picks and 10 top 100 draft picks.
We likely will never face that situation so we generally won’t have guys opt out.