Absurdly Early 2024 Predictions

How many regular season games does Tech win in 2024?

• 4 or less

• 9 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Could it be that after last season, the coaches felt like the D was better than it really was? And maybe they didn't utilize the transfer portal enough on that side of the ball?

If so, I don't think they will make that mistake again.

Of course, it could simply be that they tried and couldn't get what they wanted/needed, but the UGA game and the bowl appearance should help.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Me, but since you've already stated you ignore stats you don't agree with it's not worth the debate.
You seem to be hung up on efficiency stats vice actual game results but if that’s your thing go for it. Giving up points works for me. Only UGA is out of our class as far as offensives go. They simply have way too many good players at every offensive position. Of course no one has been able to handle them for 3 years.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You seem to be hung up on efficiency stats vice actual game results but if that’s your thing go for it. Giving up points works for me. Only UGA is out of our class as far as offensives go. They simply have way too many good players at every offensive position. Of course no one has been able to handle them for 3 years.

UNLV is 9-3. Per your criteria, they have a much better football team than us. Just ignore the ridiculously easy strength of schedule they played.

That's raw results. That's why I'm hung up on efficiency. I'm pretty sure GT at 6-6 is the better team.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
UNLV is 9-3. Per your criteria, they have a much better football team than us. Just ignore the ridiculously easy strength of schedule they played.

That's raw results. That's why I'm hung up on efficiency. I'm pretty sure GT at 6-6 is the better team.
Comparing 133 Division 1 football teams that play 12 games is a fools errand to say based on “X schedule teamA is better than team B when they have zero common opponents. It’s simply an opinion based on a formula that is based on opinion.

Does SOS take into account when the teams played each other or how the team’s record is at the end of the year? Either measure it very flawed.

Now how many points per game your team gives up per game regardless of perceived, not factual SOS, is clear cut. Being a bottom 13 team out of 133 is in the awful category.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Now how many points per game your team gives up per game regardless of perceived, not factual SOS, is clear cut. Being a bottom 13 team out of 133 is in the awful category.

Actually, this is false as well. How many points PER DRIVE they give up is indicative. If a team plays a HUNH offense and scores quickly, they might give the opposing offense 10 possessions a game. If the defense allows scores on four of those it's 28 points. If a ball control running team gives its opponents 7 drives a game and allows TDs on 4 then it's also 28 points but one defense is substantially better than the other.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Actually, this is false as well. How many points PER DRIVE they give up is indicative. If a team plays a HUNH offense and scores quickly, they might give the opposing offense 10 possessions a game. If the defense allows scores on four of those it's 28 points. If a ball control running team gives its opponents 7 drives a game and allows TDs on 4 then it's also 28 points but one defense is substantially better than the other.
Total points matter the most. If a team has a 10 yard drive for a TD vs a 90 yard drive points per drive is meaningless. That’s like points off turnovers. A meaningless stat. Offense fumbles on opponents 5 yard line. Opponent drives 95 yards for a TD. Saying opponent scored a TD off a TO is meaningless.

All points count the same. Good defenses give up fewer points per game.

GT’s defense was terrible this year. Do you actually believe it was anything other than terrible?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Total points matter the most. If a team has a 10 yard drive for a TD vs a 90 yard drive points per drive is meaningless. That’s like points off turnovers. A meaningless stat. Offense fumbles on opponents 5 yard line. Opponent drives 95 yards for a TD. Saying opponent scored a TD off a TO is meaningless.

All points count the same. Good defenses give up fewer points per game.

GT’s defense was terrible this year. Do you actually believe it was anything other than terrible?

It's painfully obvious that facts won't change your opinion. Have a nice day.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It's painfully obvious that facts won't change your opinion. Have a nice day.
Actually you are trying hard to show that GT’s defense was not a terrible defense. Gold colored glasses effect I gather.

Combine the points we gave up to all but 2 P5 teams and simply watching how ineffective the defense was against our opponents it is clear and obvious our defense was terrible.

We demoted the DC for a reason. We were only marginally better after that.

We were 128 out of 130 FBS Teams in rushing defense. I am sure you can find a metric that says gee we were way more efficient that total yards. Of course if you watched our games it was painfully obvious we couldn’t stop teams running all over us at will.

We were 103 of 130 FBS teams at stopping 3rd down conversions. What’s your counter to that really bad number.

We were 88 of 130 on stopping 4th down conversions. Celebrate, we almost made it out of the bottom 1/3rd.

But according to you we are simply a below average defense. LOL

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Not according to me. According to advanced statistics. I've said it before, if you disagree, then disagree. There's no need to keep perpetuating this debate when you refuse to look at anything other than total defense as your barometer.

Simply based on assumptions put into a formula. FEI is a fancy opinion not based on any facts except their opinion on how a team “would” perform.

Actual points given up and yards given up is a real measure, not an opinion based on assumptions. But believe what you want if it makes you feel better.

Simply read their explanation of how they come up with the number. It’s opinion, NOT FACTS!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I see you finally found someone to argue with. Carry on….
Simply because some GT fans think our defense wasn’t terrible. That astounds me that smart GT fans actually think that and try and come up with “evidence” to prove the GT defense wasn’t terrible. It was terrible this season.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Simply because some GT fans think our defense wasn’t terrible. That astounds me that smart GT fans actually think that and try and come up with “evidence” to prove the GT defense wasn’t terrible. It was terrible this season.
I think they’re all saying it was terrible just not The Worst Of All Time terrible.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Simply based on assumptions put into a formula. FEI is a fancy opinion not based on any facts except their opinion on how a team “would” perform.

Actual points given up and yards given up is a real measure, not an opinion based on assumptions. But believe what you want if it makes you feel better.

Simply read their explanation of how they come up with the number. It’s opinion, NOT FACTS!

Please quit furthering a debate you aren't willing to have.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Curious as to why you think the Defense will improve. Maybe because it can’t be much worse.
I find your negativity to be really annoying. My momma taught me, "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all". So please, just stop.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I find your negativity to be really annoying. My momma taught me, "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all". So please, just stop.
This is a discussion board. Deal with opinions or use the ignore function. Lord have mercy I don't like you posts so stop posting. Sad at best!