Absurdly Early 2024 Predictions

How many regular season games does Tech win in 2024?

• 4 or less

• 9 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

slugboy

Staff member
Going into Spring ball, we kept most of the key offensive player and the offensive coaches from a pretty good offense. We recruited some good QBs and other players. Odds are that the offense will improve.

On defense, we lost a lot of players who got playing time, and got some transfers in. We replaced the entire defensive coaching staff. We had a really ineffective defense, but we had some players starting to put it together at the end of the season. The secondary looked pretty good—maybe a player away, there. You might hope that we’ll improve there.

We did not appear to “win” the transfer portal—we needed some difference makers on defense, and we didn’t fill enough positions of need. I look forward to being wrong about that

The schedule is a gauntlet. FSU, Louisville, UNC, Notre Dame, Miami, and Georgia will be favored. We will need upsets to be more than bowl eligible.

Ga State, Syracuse, VMI, Duke, VT, and NCST are a mix of beatable teams that have occasionally upset us, and toss ups. I almost put NCST in the last paragraph in the “favored” list.

We need an upset to counter any slip up against the ”beatable” group of teams, and more upsets beyond that to have a really good season.

It’ll take luck and a heckuva coaching job to go to a “nice” bowl.

Looking at it with my head instead of my heart, next season looks like 5-7 wins, and barely getting bowl eligible. Again, I hope I’m wrong. Beating FSU would be huge

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
We did not appear to “win” the transfer portal—we needed some difference makers on defense, and we didn’t fill enough positions of need. I look forward to being wrong about that
I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure we still have some room on our roster and will most likely be grabbing guys in the next portal window.

Considering who left, and that our DC just got here, it will probably be a one or two DL’s and maybe another stud Safety. I garuntee you Gucci Santucci has plenty of really good connections.

I do want to note though- I believe we got two gems with Ayobami tifase and Keylan Rutledge. Both have 3(+) years left. Keylan already very proven, Ayobami has very good highscool film, and not getting snaps on FSU’s DLine last season isn’t a bad sign. They were among the best units in the country. Both likely 1st string IMO.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Going into Spring ball, we kept most of the key offensive player and the offensive coaches from a pretty good offense. We recruited some good QBs and other players. Odds are that the offense will improve.

On defense, we lost a lot of players who got playing time, and got some transfers in. We replaced the entire defensive coaching staff. We had a really ineffective defense, but we had some players starting to put it together at the end of the season. The secondary looked pretty good—maybe a player away, there. You might hope that we’ll improve there.

The schedule is a gauntlet. FSU, Louisville, UNC, Notre Dame, Miami, and Georgia will be favored. We will need upsets to be more than bowl eligible.

Ga State, Syracuse, VMI, Duke, VT, and NCST are a mix of beatable teams that have occasionally upset us, and toss ups. I almost put NCST in the last paragraph in the “favored” list.

We need an upset to counter any slip up against the ”beatable” group of teams, and more upsets beyond that to have a really good season.

It’ll take luck and a heckuva coaching job to go to a “nice” bowl.

Looking at it with my head instead of my heart, next season looks like 5-7 wins, and barely getting bowl eligible. Again, I hope I’m wrong. Beating FSU would be huge
I think we win some 45-42 games this year while we find a defense. Maybe those will be 45-35 games later in the season.

slugboy

Staff member
I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure we still have some room on our roster and will most likely be grabbing guys in the next portal window.

Considering who left, and that our DC just got here, it will probably be a one or two DL’s and maybe another stud Safety. I garuntee you Gucci Santucci has plenty of really good connections.

I do want to note though- I believe we got two gems with Ayobami tifase and Keylan Rutledge. Both have 3(+) years left. Keylan already very proven, Ayobami has very good highscool film, and not getting snaps on FSU’s DLine last season isn’t a bad sign. They were among the best units in the country. Both likely 1st string IMO.
On the other hand, Douse and Kennard are transferring out, so that’s kind of a wash—Kennard is the highest “rated” transfer of either incoming or outgoing players. Hopefully Tifase and Rutledge are fantastic, though.

If you look at some recruiting service transfer portal rankings, we’re in the bottom few teams in the ACC (54th on 247, and 13th in the ACC. Clemson is on the bottom). We had a lot of need on the DL, so we have to hope we hit there in the spring.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
If you look at some recruiting service transfer portal rankings, we’re in the bottom few teams in the ACC (54th on 247, and 13th in the ACC. Clemson is on the bottom). We had a lot of need on the DL, so we have to hope we hit there in the spring.
I think there’s two reasons I think we’re at the bottom, both not bad ones.

1. Good players want to know what scheme they’re joining and how they fit it. I’m honestly surprised we were able to land a LB like EJ Lightsey, without a DC in place yet.
2. For the most part, we didn’t need anyone on offense but TE’s. The whole line (which really progressed) is back, but building depth is always good obv so we got a guy. The RB room loses Smith but I think the other backups are sleepers. We’re ate up with QB’s. IMO we have very talented WR room, all returning.

Again, I think we’ve just saved plenty of room for portal desserts on D and will see that. Santucci is whispering sweet nothings to Kennard’s replacement until the next window.

Also- I’m not saying we’re clemson and can almost exclusively bank on internal development, but I think for the first time since the portal became a thing Tech is in a spot where it doesn’t need it as bad. We want some replacements on D and hopefully a meanie or two, but other than that we’re kinda alright. Sooo much talent coming back.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
I think there’s two reasons I think we’re at the bottom, both not bad ones.

1. Good players want to know what scheme they’re joining and how they fit it. I’m honestly surprised we were able to land a LB like EJ Lightsey, without a DC in place yet.
2. For the most part, we didn’t need anyone on offense but TE’s. The whole line (which really progressed) is back, but building depth is always good obv so we got a guy. The RB room loses Smith but I think the other backups are sleepers. We’re ate up with QB’s. IMO we have very talented WR room, all returning.

Again, I think we’ve just saved plenty of room for portal desserts on D and will see that. Santucci is whispering sweet nothings to Kennard’s replacement until the next window.

Also- I’m not saying we’re clemson and can almost exclusively bank on internal development, but I think for the first time since the portal became a thing Tech is in a spot where it doesn’t need it as bad. We want some replacements on D and hopefully a meanie or two, but other than that we’re kinda alright. Sooo much talent coming back.

FSU and some other schools are going into Spring over the 85 scholarship limit. As far as I know, we might be. Some programs are going to have to push players out the door and into the portal. There will be players available.

In FSU’s case, they are roster-heavy at WR and OL. I don’t think anyone is roster-heavy at “big ol’ war daddy”.

So
A. There will be some good players in the portal in the Spring
B. They might not be at our positions of need.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
FSU and some other schools are going into Spring over the 85 scholarship limit. As far as I know, we might be. Some programs are going to have to push players out the door and into the portal. There will be players available.

In FSU’s case, they are roster-heavy at WR and OL. I don’t think anyone is roster-heavy at “big ol’ war daddy”.

So
We’ve discussed this before but….

Do we see any evidence yet that with the portal and NIL more athletes will simply be eliminated from playing college ball and/or going to college?

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
So
Here’s a comforting stat from On3 on DL transfer portal status:
  • ENTERED​

• COMMITTED​

1,156 (51%)
  • WITHDRAWN​

99 (4.36%)
So roughly 45% or 1,000+ DL are still in the portal right now- with that number fluctuating as they commit, and with more joining in the Spring.
There’s probably a small percentage of cream of the crop guys that will be fought over out of our league. But from 1000 dudes I think we will manage to reload and potentially even upgrade from Douse and Kennard.
You can scroll through On3 and see a lot of uncommitted guys with “89” and “87” ranking (typically within our tax bracket), with not overwhelming but solid production at their schools. Solid in Santucci’s scheme could be all we need to take a step up in 2024. Hope I’m right.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a comforting stat from On3 on DL transfer portal status:
  • ENTERED​

• COMMITTED​

1,156 (51%)
  • WITHDRAWN​

99 (4.36%)
So roughly 45% or 1,000+ DL are still in the portal right now- with that number fluctuating as they commit, and with more joining in the Spring.
There’s probably a small percentage of cream of the crop guys that will be fought over out of our league. But from 1000 dudes I think we will manage to reload and potentially even upgrade from Douse and Kennard.
You can scroll through On3 and see a lot of uncommitted guys with “89” and “87” ranking (typically within our tax bracket), with not overwhelming but solid production at their schools. Solid in Santucci’s scheme could be all we need to take a step up in 2024. Hope I’m right.
Those are total numbers, not just DL. 2,271 DL in the portal would be ~17 DL PER FBS TEAM in the portal, not even remotely realistic. On3's portal tracker is kinda garbage tbh, not very functional for sorting information. 247's is not much better, but sorting by DL and uncommitted, and filtering out the ones who seem to be committed/withdrawn but are still on the list, there are about 49 DL available in the portal. Of those, only ~8 are rated .8700 or higher.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
When you click on DL, the stats don't change but the search list appears to be just DL. A quick count shows 79 uncommitted for the DL. A lot of them are freshmen who I would supsect have little or no playing experience.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Those are total numbers, not just DL. 2,271 DL in the portal would be ~17 DL PER FBS TEAM in the portal, not even remotely realistic. On3's portal tracker is kinda garbage tbh, not very functional for sorting information. 247's is not much better, but sorting by DL and uncommitted, and filtering out the ones who seem to be committed/withdrawn but are still on the list, there are about 49 DL available in the portal. Of those, only ~8 are rated .8700 or higher.
Oh. oops… thanks for the intel. I thought those numbers were crazy when I was typing that up. Fingers crossed then that we find our way into those few or spring portal guys.
With that- does anyone know if Sylvain is returning after his injury year?