A Player's Perspective on Clemson game

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Game got away from us early. Having our guys drop back to get sacked a dozen times and throw a bunch of picks probably wouldn't have helped develop our passing game, nor would have it been attractive to recruits. You did see what happened when we did throw in the first half, right? You wanted more of that? If anything, it would have set us back. Let's see if we can give whoever starts some easy throws early to get them in a rhythm against USF.
That’s why you throw quick, short passes. Oregon and plenty of other teams do this against great fronts. I’m sure we have them in the play book along with jet sweeps and rolling the qb out, screens, etc. There are many ways to attack an aggressive D.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Except Clemson dared us to throw and stopped the run game.....so then their expectations were wrong and they could not make in in game adjustments.....

With limitations on practice time set by the NCAA, IMO, it is foolish prepping with 3 QBs. You will simply not get enough reps in with any one qb. It also leaves the O devoid of a leader, which the qb is naturally.
Maybe so, but honestly I think many of you all set your expectations way too high for this game. If we play like this against cupcakes or even usf then yeah there is an issues. But again this is Clemson , not even Alabama could do well against them last year. It's going to take time to rebuild and develop a leader. Have faith in the coaching staff there is a lot of newness for them too

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
That’s why you throw quick, short passes. Oregon and plenty of other teams do this against great fronts. I’m sure we have them in the play book along with jet sweeps and rolling the qb out, screens, etc. There are many ways to attack an aggressive D.

IIRC correctly, we tried a couple and came nowhere close to completing them. Ya'll talk about this as if any of it is easy. There's no such thing as an easy pass for our personnel vs Clemson's starters. If we are running QB keepers all the time, mid season, we'll have a problem. The wait and see posters are suddenly unwilling to wait, for some reason.

Oregon has been running a similar offense for a long time through several coaches, it seems. Probably has outrecruited us by a wide margin, as well.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Tech fans are the worst fans of any team. Half get mad cause we called the plays to our teams strength. The other half want to pass even if we had problems in the passing game. I guess they wanted to tell the players you can't win so we are going to do this anyway. Half still want CPJ to coach the team the other half can't stand him so even if we only win 3 games the next 5 years they are happy. And everyone wants to know why we can't recruit and get all 4 and 5 star players, any recruit that would read this message board would laugh and pick another team. Here is An idea cheer for the team and the players.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
IIRC correctly, we tried a couple and came nowhere close to completing them. Ya'll talk about this as if any of it is easy. There's no such thing as an easy pass for our personnel vs Clemson's starters. If we are running QB keepers all the time, mid season, we'll have a problem. The wait and see posters are suddenly unwilling to wait, for some reason.
On our first drive, on 3rd and medium, TO rolled to his left and hit M Carter, iirc, on the sideline for a 1st down. I was extremely encouraged by that for three reasons: 1. It was a nice throw and catch, 2. Pat called a pass play and 3. TO looked to have a clear running lane for 1st down, but chose to throw to the open receiver.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Tech fans are the worst fans of any team. Half get mad cause we called the plays to our teams strength. The other half want to pass even if we had problems in the passing game. I guess they wanted to tell the players you can't win so we are going to do this anyway. Half still want CPJ to coach the team the other half can't stand him so even if we only win 3 games the next 5 years they are happy. And everyone wants to know why we can't recruit and get all 4 and 5 star players, any recruit that would read this message board would laugh and pick another team. Here is An idea cheer for the team and the players.
Well, now I'm mad because you called us (and by extension, me) the worst fans of any team!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
There is WAAAAAAAYYYY too much exaggeration in this thread (and some others).

The folks who have voiced criticisms (like me) aren't angry or mad, we aren't pissed off at the current coaching staff or ready to throw in the towel. We just happen to disagree with how the game plan went in Game #1. There's plenty more football to be played and we are all looking forward to seeing how this all plays out over time.

I would hope one could voice opinions, even criticisms, of the current staff without it spiraling into innuendo and distortions. No one wants to fire any coaches. Some are simply frustrated and voicing an opinion. Most who are voicing these opinions probably even know their views may or may not be correct.....(I certainly feel that way about my own views!).

Personally I will be there Saturday rooting for GT as always. And there is a chance I'll voice some view about the game afterwards. Let us hope we all take each other's views in context and for what they're worth.

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan

The folks who have voiced criticisms (like me) aren't angry or mad, we aren't pissed off at the current coaching staff or ready to throw in the towel. We just happen to disagree with how the game plan went in Game #1. There's plenty more football to be played and we are all looking forward to seeing how this all plays out over time.

I would hope one could voice opinions, even criticisms, of the current staff without it spiraling into innuendo and distortions. No one wants to fire any coaches. Some are simply frustrated and voicing an opinion. Most who are voicing these opinions probably even know their views may or may not be correct.....(I certainly feel that way about my own views!).

Personally I will be there Saturday rooting for GT as always. And there is a chance I'll voice some view about the game afterwards. Let us hope we all take each other's views in context and for what they're worth.

Totally agree about exaggeration (I'd add jumping to conclusions and binary thinking).

My frustration is seeing strong stances based on a single game against the best team in the country. Ultimately, I want to see an O that is effective. I don't much care what that contains beyond the extent that it impacts recruiting.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Ehh. You're speaking for you. Some of these posters have been chomping at the bit all offseason for some actual game results to give them an opportunity to criticize the new staff. And that's why you got mostly reasoned responses and they got a little more forceful pushback. A lot of us consider someone's posting history when we respond to their opinions. Fact is, some have done a complete 180 from what they were saying we should do in the off-season. It forms a context for how their comments are going to be interpreted. But if I misread anybody, my bad.

Agree with everything else you said, though! A win will (hopefully) make us all feel a little more charitable with each other.

Last edited:

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

Go visit a UT Vol or Gamecock forum right now and let me know if you think we're worst than those fans, almost all of which are screaming for the HC to be fired.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Go visit a UT Vol or Gamecock forum right now and let me know if you think we're worst than those fans, almost all of which are screaming for the HC to be fired.

Tech fans can be a particularly self-loathing bunch at times. My prime example was the bbuzzoff or whatever it is called now message board during the CPJ era.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech fans can be a particularly self-loathing bunch at times. My prime example was the bbuzzoff or whatever it is called now message board during the CPJ era.

No argument there (though I'm not familiar with that Buzzoff site you reference). But to even call for the current HC to get fired gets you banned at most GT message boards. Heck, even calling FORMER coaches into question appears to get you in hot water in this forum :ROFLMAO:

Conversely, it's (calling for HC's head) actively encouraged on the UT and USCe boards right now, and I'm sure elsewhere. GT fans are tame by comparison.

Animal02

Banned
Ehh. You're speaking for you. Some of these posters have been chomping at the bit all offseason for some actual game results to give them an opportunity to criticize the new staff. And that's why you got mostly reasoned responses and they got a little more forceful pushback. A lot of us consider someone's posting history when we respond to their opinions. Fact is, some have done a complete 180 from what they were saying we should do in the off-season. It forms a context for how their comments are going to be interpreted. But if I misread anybody, my bad.

Agree with everything else you said, though! A win will (hopefully) make us all feel a little more charitable with each other.
Reasoned response? Like when saying I was not happy with the play call on the first and goal series(as was most people) That I was making comparisons to CPJ.
The fact is certain posters were chomping at the bit to label anyone that said anything negative about the coaching decisions as "haters" and that they should STFU while at the same time throwing the players under the bus.

Reasoned responses my ***!

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Reasoned response? Like when saying I was not happy with the play call on the first and goal series(as was most people) That I was making comparisons to CPJ.
The fact is certain posters were chomping at the bit to label anyone that said anything negative about the coaching decisions as "haters" and that they should STFU while at the same time throwing the players under the bus.

Reasoned responses my ***!

I didn't see that particular exchange. I will agree regarding the goal line series.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
You should go back and see why we have an indoor practice facility if you think PJ couldn't raise money. By all accounts PJ had a lot to do with reaching out to the Brock's and making that happen.

PJ should have retired 3 years ago after the 9 win season, he stayed too long. I think he got tired of hearing **** from bellyaching fans who don't know **** all the time (including boosters inasmuch as tech has them). I also think he was tired of dealing with the constant mis- characterization of his program and did a poor job of combating the negativity. He certainly wasn't apathetic towards recruiting. He was very vocal about getting more staff to help and worked to get some support additions. The apathy comments stem, in my opinion, from his unashamed bashing of the recruit ranking services - most of which he said is true.

Academics depends on degree, but who cares 90+% of athletes aren't engineers.

What “accounts” would those be?