A Player's Perspective on Clemson game

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I saw one recruiting target make one comment on Twitter.... Do you not think the coaching staff has addressed this with our commits and targets ahead of time, letting them know that it will be a transition and not an instant metamorphosis? I do.
People tend to believe what they see over what somebody is telling them. We better come out slingin' it Saturday or there's gonna be repercussions in both recruiting and fanboy hype.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
People tend to believe what they see over what somebody is telling them. We better come out slingin' it Saturday or there's gonna be repercussions in both recruiting and fanboy hype.
Disagree. The coaches will do what they think will give us the best chance to win this game. I trust them on the recruiting front. Our job is to pull for the team, no matter what. Pretty simple, really.

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan

And people will often choose to believe what they want to believe. If you expected a sudden complete metamorphasis of the O, I would say your expectations are out of line. I'm kind of shocked a former player wouldn't see this as I would expect that kind of reaction from fans who don't understand football.
Collins and Patanaude have historically adapted to the personnel they have (something you can go back and see if you choose), and that's what they did last week. There's nothing wrong with that.

Animal02

Banned
People make decisions and form opinions based on what they hear people say and what the see with their own eyes and what they know are facts. When what they hear is not what they see or jive with the facts is where the issues arise.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
And people will often choose to believe what they want to believe. If you expected a sudden complete metamorphasis of the O, I would say your expectations are out of line. I'm kind of shocked a former player wouldn't see this as I would expect that kind of reaction from fans who don't understand football.
Collins and Patanaude have historically adapted to the personnel they have (something you can go back and see if you choose), and that's what they did last week. There's nothing wrong with that.
Did you even watch the video? Tom Covington said we missed the chance to show the college football world the new GT that we keep hearing about. We missed that opportunity. I didn't expect it to produce a win, but I expected the new O nonetheless. So did most people even if they're not willing to admit it.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Ton in that the offense has to have an identity and you run what you want to be in an effort to eventually be great at it.

The frustrating part to me is I have no idea what we are trying to be. Each interview seems to have a different take on what that is. Most spread offenses are run first offenses. The pass in the RPO is based on a read, otherwise the play is a run. So, how can you say you want to be balanced if the defense dictates run/pass based on their coverage? There is a ton of option (double, triple, zone read, RPO) in the traditional spread offense. It is built on it. So, if we are getting away from the option, does that mean we aren’t running the spread? If we are too scared to call the spread an option offense, we should have just implemented the air raid to draw a clear distinction between who we were and who we are now.

I will say I thought Dave P made a good choice by starting Oliver. He has played a lot and we were on the road in a rough environment. Experience to not panic as the starting QB was needed and I think Oliver played his heart out.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Have any of you watched a temple game from last year or any other games led by the OC.

So you guys are not upset at truth stretching on bringing back the 10 win seasonS for branding purposes, but you are upset that he streatch the truth on passing?

I don’t recall anyone saying air raid... but I do remember seeing going from flex bone spread to all wide receivers in shot gun in the spring game... and that’s were the message started.

You got shot gun. You got a more traditional offense. You got more passesing. How often did CPJ pass 20 times?

What you really want is 10 plus wins a season.... and beating uga and keeping up with uga. Dig into what is really going to take to make this a reality and by the way... it has little to do with passing 40 or 30 or 20 or 10 times a game.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Have any of you watched a temple game from last year or any other games led by the OC.

So you guys are not upset at truth stretching on bringing back the 10 win seasonS for branding purposes, but you are upset that he streatch the truth on passing?

I don’t recall anyone saying air raid... but I do remember seeing going from flex bone spread to all wide receivers in shot gun in the spring game... and that’s were the message started.

You got shot gun. You got a more traditional offense. You got more passesing. How often did CPJ pass 20 times?

What you really want is 10 plus wins a season.... and beating uga and keeping up with uga. Dig into what is really going to take to make this a reality and by the way... it has little to do with passing 40 or 30 or 20 or 10 times a game.

And no huddle.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
TO forced Patenaude to be more run oriented. IMO he went with TO as most experienced and knew it was a road game with a big crowd. I will be disappointed if we dont see more of LJ and JG next game. We cannot go a season rotating 3 guys much longer.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Dig into what is really going to take to make this a reality and by the way... it has little to do with passing 40 or 30 or 20 or 10 times a game.
It requires players. Players who get interested and excited about playing at GT. Since we aren’t an SEC school, since we actually make guys go to class, maybe we better make sure we attract theme with our schemes. What we ran....didn’t exactly do that.