A Player's Perspective on Clemson game

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Y’all need to learn coach speech.
He’s the greatest athlete I’ve ever been around - means he can’t throw a lick.
Puts in great effort every play - means he can’t block or tackle.
One of the fastest guys on the team - if he could only catch.
Great vision - but gets arm tackled on every play.
Dominated the weight room - but misses ever block.
Aggressive nature - but can’t cover his guy.
Has a mean streak - but misses tackles.
Knows the play book better than anyone - but can’t get on the field.

This is sarcasm, but sometimes the truth hurts.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
That’s why you throw quick, short passes. Oregon and plenty of other teams do this against great fronts. I’m sure we have them in the play book along with jet sweeps and rolling the qb out, screens, etc. There are many ways to attack an aggressive D.

Or maybe we just aren't good enough at those things yet to execute them against an elite opponent? Arm strength is really important to execute that type of play. The ball needs to get there in a hurry.

Looking at Temple, they ran those kinds of quick pass plays quite a bit. There must be some reason why we didn't run that stuff against Clemson. I mean, it's in the DNA of the offense.

Now, maybe it WAS bad game planning. Anything is possible. But when I listen to the coaches' interviews they sound rational. For the present I am going to go with the simplest explanation, which is that we ran what we do well.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
From my seat at the game, their corners routinely locked down our receivers. It wasn’t a good night to debut the new air-GT. Lucas came in and threw 3 passes into very tight coverage IIRC.
Unfortunately, that appears to be the one main commonality between last year and this year: receivers that cannot get separation. We will see what they can do over the next three games maybe it will get better.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, that appears to be the one main commonality between last year and this year: receivers that cannot get separation. We will see what they can do over the next three games maybe it will get better.
We won’t face a tougher secondary for a while. I wasn’t throwing our kids under the bus, just trying to calm the “why didn’t we throw more” crowd a little.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We won’t face a tougher secondary for a while. I wasn’t throwing our kids under the bus, just trying to calm the “why didn’t we throw more” crowd a little.

Which "crowd" are you in? Personally, I am in the do what our quarterbacks can do crowd which is run the football and pass only when we want to pass but that is just me. They may be right and we should come out slinging it all over the yard.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Which "crowd" are you in? Personally, I am in the do what our quarterbacks can do crowd which is run the football and pass only when we want to pass but that is just me. They may be right and we should come out slinging it all over the yard.
If we are going to spend the entire season running most of the time and passing occasionally then it is going to hurt us in recruiting and our overall rebranding efforts. Also, what do we do going forward? Oliver is a sophomore. If he remains our best option, then do we just remain a heavy run team for three years?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I’m just sharing what I observed from my seat at the Clemson game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If we are going to spend the entire season running most of the time and passing occasionally then it is going to hurt us in recruiting and our overall rebranding efforts. Also, what do we do going forward? Oliver is a sophomore. If he remains our best option, then do we just remain a heavy run team for three years?

True, but I want to win that ball game Saturday and running it right at them is what works.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
@Lee

I am in a show me stage because other than the current AD and The uniforms, I don’t see the upside here. Is GT really going to beat other teams doing the same thing they are doing?

Of the 130 teams in the FBS, aren’t most of them doing the same thing the others are doing? And lots of them are beating other teams, right? I just don’t see why we have to have a different scheme to win, but others can win with the same or similar scheme. It will take time, more talent, and good coaching, but I believe it can be done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
Of the 130 teams in the FBS, aren’t most of them doing the same thing the others are doing? And lots of them are beating other teams, right? I just don’t see why we have to have a different scheme to win, but others can win with the same or similar scheme. It will take time, more talent, and good coaching, but I believe it can be done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How many of those other schools only offer 35 or so degrees and all of them STEM?

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Curious what would most of you call Fridge’s offense? He was multiple too, with option and passing. Was he not committed to an offense? Is Riley and Oklahoma air raid? Spread? What about AZ cardinals? Are they a high school offense?
It ain't the club.....it's the guy ah swinging the thing.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech fans can be a particularly self-loathing bunch at times. My prime example was the bbuzzoff or whatever it is called now message board during the CPJ era.

1) buzz off started as an anti-Gailey board

2) you are right the difference between Tech and the other fanbases is the self-loathing.

When those other schools don’t succeed they blame the AD or the players or the coaches. When we don’t succeed we have a large contingent that craps on the school to prop up the coaches.

I’ve never seen another fan base that loves to point out why their school can’t succeed.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
How many of those other schools only offer 35 or so degrees and all of them STEM?

Most of our team is majoring in sociology with watered down calculus and lab sciences. The hard courses can be taken at perimeter during summers. I’m not sure I’d call that STEM.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Most of our team is majoring in sociology with watered down calculus and lab sciences. The hard courses can be taken at perimeter during summers. I’m not sure I’d call that STEM.
Not sure this is accurate, but even if it is, it’s still 10 x more rigorous than the factories.