A Message our Players (Reposted from the other site.)

Animal02

Banned
It is not an apt comparison perhaps, but maybe instructive. I have a retired newspaper editor as a neighbor, who adamantly insisted on calling out politicians and the powerful by name for what he considered a simple reason: "If you write that the county commissioners made a stupid decision, every one of them will agree with you. Call them out by name if you want to make a point." I am a little uncertain about naming college football players, but it makes no sense to say, for instance, that our quarterback was bad without naming said quarterback.
True....but saying our D sucks like he did is pretty generic

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
yeah, a bit weak. But whatever. Alot of loose interpretation by fans. And I don't think he threw shade at the prior regime too much; its true, we were a system based offense, that recruited a certain type, that doesn't fit what he wants to do, that ran what they ran. He also said they did it well, effectively, and routinely said great kids of high character.

If he has to apologize for warning his team after citadel how a bad weak of preparation and lack of discipline affects on field results, after warning them ALL FIN WEEK, then screw it he has no hope. Weak examples, you don't know what was said, but I got more info on it. Some of have been in a lockerroom, some of you clearly haven't. Do you know how many times coaches yell at players and do the, you need to focus and respond discussion???? LOL. He said it remains private and ultimately he is responsible. My lord

like i said, I don't recall any example he needs to apologize for. Just people reading into how they want to. The CPJ crowd is overly sensitive too...and that adds to it

Exactly. Do people want CGC to actually coach or not? Seems like they mostly want him to run the prior staff's schemes and show deference to them in everything he says and does. That's not how any of this works, and it's not a demand typically placed on new head coaches. I could understand it if he was taking over a powerhouse of a program, but folks should relax. To my recollection, CPJ was a lot more blunt about players who didn't "fit the system" which is fine.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
oh and btw, you know how many of you fonts complained about CPJ yelling at his kids on the sideline too hard (LOL), deflecting responsibility after bad losses, blaming the players for "turning a guy loose"or missing assignments. we constantly heard him say that.

this is comical. I wonder if its the same people. Now just because there is a regime change somehow its collins blaming the players. Well, we had 11 years of blaming the players then. Personally, I saw NOTHING wrong with the 11 years prior nor anything now. Coaches coach.

cpj nor collins is throwing shade and players then and now are not butthurt. Fans yup. Players nope...collins nor cpj ever lost the lockerroom, moms, dads, etc.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Hell no it’s not a bad thing to voice your displeasure with the direction of your program. It is a bad thing when you are holding the wrong people accountable and not understanding the challenges the current staff is facing that are not of their own making.

I’m excited that in a few years we won’t have to worry about this talent discrepancy any more and if Collins isn’t working out by then we can go get another coach who will have a fighting chance from the get go. But blaming this staff for the performance of this ROSTER is foolish and the rest of the nation understands that. This board... not so much.
Its amazing how so few will acknowledge that, maybe, perhaps, BOTH are not that good? That 'ok' atheletes when coached up can achieve good or beter results, but also when paired with a staff who don't know what they are doing look exactly like we are seeing right now?

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
oh and btw, you know how many of you fonts complained about CPJ yelling at his kids on the sideline too hard (LOL), deflecting responsibility after bad losses, blaming the players for "turning a guy loose"or missing assignments. we constantly heard him say that.

this is comical. I wonder if its the same people. Now just because there is a regime change somehow its collins blaming the players. Well, we had 11 years of blaming the players then. Personally, I saw NOTHING wrong with the 11 years prior nor anything now. Coaches coach.

cpj nor collins is throwing shade and players then and now are not butthurt. Fans yup. Players nope...collins nor cpj ever lost the lockerroom, moms, dads, etc.
And let's not forget CPJ's "don't want him, don't need him, doesn't fit the system " comment when he was first hired.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
And let's not forget CPJ's "don't want him, don't need him, doesn't fit the system " comment when he was first hired.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Oh yeah. I totally forgot.

Or the comment about how was going to improve talent depth. That we had a good top 5 set of talent but we will improve 5-20 or something to that affect it wasnt where it needs to be.

The difference is most of us didn’t like gailey. So no negative reaction.

Vs cpj whom was relatively like at his retirement. More butthurt

Deleted member 2897

Me???? It was referring to DP and Thacker. Also was from another site and was in a convo with other comments. For anyone to single that post out is completely foolish. Again. Not once was a player(s) named! And if a parent or a SA thinks my one post which again wasn’t directed at them or their child was offensive, then they’re gonna have a hard time at another program or in the real world.

I said GENERIC YOU. I wasn’t calling out a specific poster. Sorry you took it that way, and sorry I wasn’t more clear.

Buzz1126

Georgia Tech Fan
Looks like alot of y'all "D is D" people don't realize we switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3, and with 0 depth on the line at that. How can you expect a Linebacker to now line up as D-end? It won't happen until we recruit (which we will) some bigger guys on the line. End of story. Stop complaining and learn something.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I said GENERIC YOU. I wasn’t calling out a specific poster. Sorry you took it that way, and sorry I wasn’t more clear.
I didn’t see the generic part my man. Sorry. I didn’t think you were specifically. I was kind of answering it in general. Plus I’m reading and responding between job sites and it’s only 40 degrees here. Lol

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Looks like alot of y'all "D is D" people don't realize we switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3, and with 0 depth on the line at that. How can you expect a Linebacker to now line up as D-end? It won't happen until we recruit (which we will) some bigger guys on the line. End of story. Stop complaining and learn something.
Buzz, that would be a reasonable explanation if we had been in a 3-4 more than 1 year. As it was the roster was still largely built of players recruited to a 4-3. I think we have to look for alternate explanations.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I understand this is year 0 of the most massive program overhaul ever in the history of the world and I have to get used to the new norm of GT being like the factories, but damn can we just slow the ride down the hill?

Recent History of GT vs Duke:

2019: Duke wins 41-23. We score a “meaningless” td in 4th.
2018: Duke wins 28-14. 28-7 until we score a “meaningless” td with more than half of the 4 quarter gone.
2017: Duke wins 43-20. Title on ESPN “Duke snaps 6 game skid.”
2016: GT wins 38-35. JT has 459 yards of total O. Duke puts up 559 yards on us.
2015: Duke wins 34-20. We get 3 turnovers and still can’t win.
2014 (our best season in decades): Duke wins 31-25.

Can you please explain how this year vs. Duke is any different from all the previous 5 games against them (save the game JT put on his cape and single handedly willed us to win the game)?

You may not like the term “bullied,” but what happened this past Saturday has been happening for years when we’ve played Duke. While I don’t like it, I’m not going to pretend like this is something unique to this team or staff.

You can discredit it if you like, but after getting “bullied” in the first half, the defense held Duke to 5 punts and a FG in the 2nd half. That’s a pretty good adjustment IMO.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Using the term bullied was an unfortunate choice of works and I feel sorry for the kid. That being said that terminology makes you scratch your head.

Secondly, this is not the most massive, monumental, historic rebuild ever in the history of sports. C’mon man, everybody knows this is BS. It’s not the first coaching change ever and it won’t be the last. It may be the most monumental change he’s ever faced, but it’s a coaching change just like every other coaching change. He needs to deal with it instead of trying to garner pity. Very unbecoming of a senior leader.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I still have to ask to ask the question:what happened to the coaching theory that a good one fitted his offense (and defense) to the players, and not the other way around? I don't think asking Graham to throw 35 times is good coaching, or claiming some moral victory because we closed the gap against a team rapidly losing interest in the second half is leadership. I hope we can stop the leaking against Miami -- second to Duke on my personal enemies list -- but I am afraid they will take the opportunity to run it up.

I don’t think the game plan was for Graham to throw 35 times. Game flow had a lot to do with that.

In the first 5 series we threw the ball less than 25% of our plays (8 times out of 26 plays). It was 24-7 at that point and we had a punt blocked for a td after our next possession which made it 38-7. That changes any game plan you had coming in.

I actually think once the game got out of hand, asking Graham to throw that much is great coaching. The kid needs game reps and in that scenario, it’s highly unlikely you’re going to come back and win. Especially if you’re running the ball a ton and eating up clock.

Graham has missed some throws that he is very capable of making. Including missing a wide open Oliver up the seam in this game. Allowing him to get meaningful reps with his young, but talented WR corp was 100% the right call IMO. I’m willing to bet if the game had stayed close, the game plan would have stayed similar to how we started.

There are many things to question the coaching staff on, mainly why it took so long to adjust and stop their O. The number of times Graham threw the ball is not one IMO.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Recent History of GT vs Duke:

2019: Duke wins 41-23. We score a “meaningless” td in 4th.
2018: Duke wins 28-14. 28-7 until we score a “meaningless” td with more than half of the 4 quarter gone.
2017: Duke wins 43-20. Title on ESPN “Duke snaps 6 game skid.”
2016: GT wins 38-35. JT has 459 yards of total O. Duke puts up 559 yards on us.
2015: Duke wins 34-20. We get 3 turnovers and still can’t win.
2014 (our best season in decades): Duke wins 31-25.

Can you please explain how this year vs. Duke is any different from all the previous 5 games against them (save the game JT put on his cape and single handedly willed us to win the game)?

You may not like the term “bullied,” but what happened this past Saturday has been happening for years when we’ve played Duke. While I don’t like it, I’m not going to pretend like this is something unique to this team or staff.

You can discredit it if you like, but after getting “bullied” in the first half, the defense held Duke to 5 punts and a FG in the 2nd half. That’s a pretty good adjustment IMO.

During recent years, ESPN game summaries have a win probability graph throughout the duration of the game. It conveys a general sense of how this year's Duke game was different from the previous.
2019: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401112480
2018: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401013145
2017: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400937522
2016: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400869474
2015/2014: N/A

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
yeah, a bit weak. But whatever. Alot of loose interpretation by fans. And I don't think he threw shade at the prior regime too much; its true, we were a system based offense, that recruited a certain type, that doesn't fit what he wants to do, that ran what they ran. He also said they did it well, effectively, and routinely said great kids of high character.

If he has to apologize for warning his team after citadel how a bad weak of preparation and lack of discipline affects on field results, after warning them ALL FIN WEEK, then screw it he has no hope. Weak examples, you don't know what was said, but I got more info on it. Some of have been in a lockerroom, some of you clearly haven't. Do you know how many times coaches yell at players and do the, you need to focus and respond discussion???? LOL. He said it remains private and ultimately he is responsible. My lord

like i said, I don't recall any example he needs to apologize for. Just people reading into how they want to. The CPJ crowd is overly sensitive too...and that adds to it

for every example you point out as shade, i can count 3x how he says he is blessed to be around these kids and they are great. So again, glass is half empty views imo

You could interpret it however you want. You asked, I gave you examples. But there is more. All of the hype train about bringing GT "back" to relevance, or "into" the modern age, how he was "changing the culture at GT." Heck he even lined up in the spring game and then audibled out to a pass formation in this very public shade at the prior regime. I could go on but I don't really track that stuff. I do agree that he has been complementary about the players, but I don't think that was the impetus for the prior post.

The citadel postgame thing was tacky. If he truly is going to accept the blame, then accept the blame. Don't say: "I will accept all the blame out here but the real issue is the players, which I have addressed privately with the players," which is pretty much what he said.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck

I got no problem with that. I have a problem with acting as if you are not going to throw players under the bus, but then proceed to subtly throw players under the bus. Don't be passive aggressive. Either do it, or don't.

Animal02

Banned
You could interpret it however you want. You asked, I gave you examples. But there is more. All of the hype train about bringing GT "back" to relevance, or "into" the modern age, how he was "changing the culture at GT." Heck he even lined up in the spring game and then audibled out to a pass formation in this very public shade at the prior regime. I could go on but I don't really track that stuff. I do agree that he has been complementary about the players, but I don't think that was the impetus for the prior post.

The citadel postgame thing was tacky. If he truly is going to accept the blame, then accept the blame. Don't say: "I will accept all the blame out here but the real issue is the players, which I have addressed privately with the players," which is pretty much what he said.
He has been passive aggressive from day one. One reason have always been skeptical. (Had a couple of business partners like that)

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

The audible was quite clearly a nod or tribute of sorts, I thought. All coaches talk about bringing a new culture, as is their right and responsibility when they get hired: to bring in their own schemes and set their own culture and vision for the program.

I doubt Paul has hurt fee' fee's about any of this.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
During recent years, ESPN game summaries have a win probability graph throughout the duration of the game. It conveys a general sense of how this year's Duke game was different from the previous.
2019: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401112480
2018: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401013145
2017: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400937522
2016: https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400869474
2015/2014: N/A

I saw that when looking up the data I posted. Well I actually looked at scoring plays. 2018 wouldn’t fit into “bullied,” but I would put 2017 in that category. It’s essentially what happened this weekend with the halves reversed.

To act like Duke hasn’t owned us since breaking their 10 year drought against us in 2014 is ignoring facts. I wasn’t defending what happened on Saturday, but replying to the poster who made it seem like this was something new.