A GT Football Fan expectation

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
School Administration.

And there are a ton of changes they could choose form to make us more level with football factories. Examples include (but are not limited to):
  • more admission exceptions;
  • BA majors (everything currently is BS) with reduced science/math requirements;
  • MUCH wider array of majors to appeal to a broader segment of youth.
GT Adminstration has refused to entertain ANY of these changes because of their academic objectives. It hasn't really hurt the reputations of other major Power 5 schools like Stanford or Cal Berkeley or Northwestern (or even UNC, for that matter).

Can't add majors without the approval of the Board of Regents and that ain't happening.
Not sure you can modify the degree requirement with BOR approval either.
PJ has the number of exceptions he wants from what I understand

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
  • more admission exceptions;
Already done: https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2...o-allow-more-academic-exceptions-for-football

• BA majors (everything currently is BS) with reduced science/math requirements;
  • MUCH wider array of majors to appeal to a broader segment of youth.
This really isn't in the power of the school administration to do. They can petition the BOR to add schools and majors, but the BOR has to approve them. The BOR has denied such requests in the not to distant past. Also, if the administration attempted to petition for a major that doesn't fit strategically with the school, they would not have the support of the alumni or the Trustees. If the sole purpose of adding a major is athletics, I don't see it getting through the Trustees or the Regents.

I will ask my question again, but with a modification: If you are referring to the school, what specific actions within their power to accomplish do you believe they should take?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t the BOR deny a new degree option to GT because another in state school had it already but turned around and allowed UGA to get an engineering program?
Yes, they did - since tech is so hard the state needs a course for lessor qualified in state students.

However its not a 2 way street. They will not allow us to ADD highly difficult courses of study which could take some top talent from the jewel in Athens.
We are pigoned holed into a research only school. By way Prez just hired new guy ( tech EE w 2 kids coming to tech) to head the $800,000,000.00 reasearch department.

What school w football like gt has that in their budget!! i think prez has a narrow path or we could see some research moved to other campuses.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yes, they did - since tech is so hard the state needs a course for lessor qualified in state students.

However its not a 2 way street. They will not allow us to ADD highly difficult courses of study which could take some top talent from the jewel in Athens.
We are pigoned holed into a research only school. By way Prez just hired new guy ( tech EE w 2 kids coming to tech) to head the $800,000,000.00 reasearch department.
Wow, that’s crazy. What if a kid wants a better education at GT compared to other in state schools, just crazy. Link for an article for the new hire?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Already done: https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2...o-allow-more-academic-exceptions-for-football

This really isn't in the power of the school administration to do. They can petition the BOR to add schools and majors, but the BOR has to approve them. The BOR has denied such requests in the not to distant past. Also, if the administration attempted to petition for a major that doesn't fit strategically with the school, they would not have the support of the alumni or the Trustees. If the sole purpose of adding a major is athletics, I don't see it getting through the Trustees or the Regents.

I will ask my question again, but with a modification: If you are referring to the school, what specific actions within their power to accomplish do you believe they should take?
And the Admin pettitions for better classes every year or never? Do you know? We are being throttled

Last edited:
LOL, wow this thread is so funny because none of you got my point from the beginning. We love our Tech Football for the rare 1990, 2009, 2014 seasons. For the 2015 Upset of FSU, for the 1980 tie/upset of Notre Dame. Buttttttt, in the last 60 years we have been a 7-5 team regardless of the coach. Carson, Fulcher, Pepper, Curry, Ross, O'Leary, Gailey, CPJ. The Dodd years are gone because college football changed in 1970 and I don't need to say what changed.

To me though what CPJ does that very few of those listed does is he can beat any one we play on any given Saturday. His offense is scary to the rest of football and if, if we get a more Tenutta like defense.....watch out.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

They should share the Roll Call list with GTAA if it's true they don't.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They should share the Roll Call list with GTAA if it's true they don't.
Seems like its an Admin thing.
Guy at top of Gtaa and AA?
Hey - AA AND GTAA - work up some joint fund raising plans! Get back to me next week with a list

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
And the Admin pettitions for better classes every year or never? Do you know? We are being throttled

I don't know how often the petition. I am certain that a petition for a class that is solely to hide athletes would never make it by the Trustees. Before people complain that the Trustees don't care about athletics, take note. The chair of the Board of Trustees is John Brock who is also a voting member of the Athletic Association and personally donated a reported $3 million dollars toward the construction of the indoor football practice facility. Not a guy who doesn't care about athletics.

I do remember in the last few years that a petition was made to the Regents and rejected. Exactly how long ago is a little blurry. I am middle aged, but it feels like things happened two years ago and when I can actually check the dates it was 10 or 15 years ago.

To find out how often petitions are made you would need to know:

• How often faculty and admin discuss potential new schools and/or majors. I suspect this happens often. However to find out how often this has happened in the last 20 years you would need to know someone who has been in the administration for that long with access to such information. I don't know anyone like that.
  • How often such ideas are presented to the Trustees. I don't know where to find Trustees meeting notes from the last 20 years or even if they are available.
  • How often the administration actually presents petitions to the Regents. I believe the Regents notes are available online, but I have no interest in reading 20 years worth of Regents meeting notes to find out.
If you want to do the research to find out, by all means go ahead and let us know the results.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The Roll Call is run by the Alumni Association, not the school administration. Complain to your local Alumni Club if you want them to share it.
So AA funding is not in the Ga tech budget?

At orange bowl and acc champ game, AA Joe I followed Prez around at both the parties . Said fund raising going great.

The Prez and AA hold the annual home coming party at south endzone of BDS .

i am sure the prez is doing things we dont know about but would be a game changer for gt if we returned from average to good in athletics.

Passing the tin cup needs more buzz

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So AA funding is not in the Ga tech budget?

It is to the level allowed by regulation. The school can provide a maximum of 10% of the athletic revenue. GT(school and students) provided 9.35% of the revenues for the 2017 fiscal year.

I have said many times and I keep repeating it: If the fans want the GTAA to have more money, then the fans need to provide it. The school cannot provide more for legal reasons. Us fans need to buy more tickets, donate more, and buy more gear if we want the financial situation of the GTAA to improve. The school cannot do it. It is up to us.

When talking about our offense, I think an apt comparison is all other power5 coaches. It's like people just ignore the facts that they don't like. Again, just looking at offense, FEI, here are the average team rankings for the last 10 years:

View attachment 3683

If you take out our OFEI ranking for 2015, tifwiw, our average OFEI ranking would be 22.6, which would be #6. Our OFEI rank was 21 in 2016 and 23 in 2017. For those who don't know, they try to account for strength of schedule and only count games against FBS opponents.

So, I can appreciate those who think that CPJ's O, or him being both HC and OC, somehow hurts us on D. However, apart from the injury-riddled 2015, our offense just has not been the problem.

When you want to critique a coach or a scheme, you need to look at all the games rather than just cherry picking particular games that fit your narrative.

might there be a URL attached to this rankings sheet?

Only one I found was here http://www.bcftoys.com/2017-ofei/ and only 1 team had an OFEI above 4 for 2017.

Last edited:
TBH, I don't ever recall GT presenting any such options to the BOR. Gotta ask at least.....
I have heard 2nd hand that a request was made of the BOR for Tech to omit the calculus requirement for certain majors, and it was vetoed. Way back in the Homer Rice era, the school agreed to add a sports management major, and one or two others along the same line, and the BOR vetoed them as well.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
might there be a URL attached to this rankings sheet?

Only one I found was here http://www.bcftoys.com/2017-ofei/ and only 1 team had an OFEI above 4 for 2017.

I'm sorry if it wasn't clear. I averaged RANKINGS for the ten years. A ranking compares every team to every other team in the same year.

The data comes from footballoutsiders.com.

They provide tables of ranking of each team for a variety of stats. You can easily reproduce my table by downloading the FEI Offence Table for each year and averaging them.

Again, I apologize for not making it more clear. My point was that when you compare CPJ's GT offense to every other team's offense for 10 years it stacks up.

I'm sorry if it wasn't clear. I averaged RANKINGS for the ten years. A ranking compares every team to every other team in the same year.

The data comes from footballoutsiders.com.

They provide tables of ranking of each team for a variety of stats. You can easily reproduce my table by downloading the FEI Offence Table for each year and averaging them.

Again, I apologize for not making it more clear. My point was that when you compare CPJ's GT offense to every other team's offense for 10 years it stacks up.

Thanks for the clarification.

slugboy

Staff member
Hmmmmmm. Let's look at Tech v. Ugag recently.

2014: 30 24

2015: 7 13

2016: 28 27

2017: 7 38

(Mods: Why won't the site let us format a table correctly?)

Sooooooooo … 2 and 2 over the last four years and only one lopsided game - against a team that played for the MNC - in the bunch. Shoot, we even came close to winning in 2015 during the most disastrous year for injuries in the last 50 years. I might also add that we are also 2 and 2 against VT during the same period.

Next question: what does anyone here think that Gailey could have done so well? (Crickets chirping … fading train whistle in the twilight)

Now, it is true that we had some outrageous bad luck against da U for the last two years and that Clemson has become a tougher out (for everybody, I might add). But I don't see any reason for gloom and doom here. We're doing ok against our biggest rivals and, except for Clemson and - last year - Ugag I haven't seen much in the talent differences on the field. Once, that is, we take the O into account and remember that it allows us to parlay players few other P5 programs are after into prime players for our scheme.
You can use the BBCode "code" tag to preformat your indents. It takes a little work, but I think it's the best option on this site. https://www.bbcode.org/examples/?id=15
There's also a BBCode Table (https://www.bbcode.org/examples/?id=14), but it doesn't work on this forum.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer