A GT Football Fan expectation

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I remember ND '15 pregame and seeing ND's LBs looking taller/bigger/more athletic than our WR. Their OL were on another level. Few teams have dwarfed us to that degree. Clemson last year was another and that comparison is not going to improve this year.
It's hard to fit into the seats in GT classrooms if you're that big...we just can't take 'em that large!

Jmonty71

Banned
I am just curious to see what are your expectations of GT Football going forward and not just for this season.

Yesterday I was listening to David Hale on the First Team and they were talking about how under CPJ Tech seems to go from pretty good highs to mediocre and a bit lower. They were speculating about the CPJ Tenure. One thing they did say is that offense has never been the issue. It has been defense.

That all being said I thought frankly GT has been this way since pretty much the mid 80s on. Except of course for the Lewis Dark years. Curry had his best team in 1985 with a great defense. 1990 was also a great defense. In 1998 the high water mark for O'Leary, we had a very good defense that had a knack for turnovers into touchdowns. During the Chan years we averaged 7-5 with a very good defense and no offense.

With CPJ 2008-09 we had a pretty good defense with a pretty good offense. 2011 an explosive offense.
2014 was a year that we had a senior laden team with a very good offense and a pretty good defense.

What is the point, at Tech we suffer because we can not recruit a defense to the level of other teams. We every now and then have it good, but when we don't have the players, we have to take risk, as we did with Tennutta. So now the question becomes, are we now an aggressive defense. And with a CPJ offense, what does that mean.
I'll say this... I have been begging.... and those that know me, can agree... BEGGING... For an attacking style defense. I fully believe that a defense should be the hammer and not the nail. Face it, with Groh and Roof, we were a 16 penny nail, getting smacked all over. There will be a game or 2, that the opposing offense just gets the best of us. However; that leaves 9-10 games, that the defense just hammers on the other team. In years past, those odds were reversed. The D played 2-3 good games and then got hammered, the other 7-8.

Only time will tell. But, I think, as a high school kid, you want to play for an attacking defense. You want to be THAT kid that shows up on ESPN for the hit.. This new defense should give plenty of oooh and and aawwws. Typically, an attacking 2-3 makes it scary for any WRs to do short crossing routes. To me, that and the bubble screen have been our weakness. I hope to see that change.

slugboy

Staff member

Only time will tell. But, I think, as a high school kid, you want to play for an attacking defense. You want to be THAT kid that shows up on ESPN for the hit.. This new defense should give plenty of oooh and and aawwws. Typically, an attacking 2-3 makes it scary for any WRs to do short crossing routes. To me, that and the bubble screen have been our weakness. I hope to see that change.

I miss Ken Swilling crushing people crossing the middle of the field.

One thing that I think Tenuta had going was that the defense felt like they were achieving something and having fun. Problems, yes, but they were doing something.