A GT Football Fan expectation

I am just curious to see what are your expectations of GT Football going forward and not just for this season.

Yesterday I was listening to David Hale on the First Team and they were talking about how under CPJ Tech seems to go from pretty good highs to mediocre and a bit lower. They were speculating about the CPJ Tenure. One thing they did say is that offense has never been the issue. It has been defense.

That all being said I thought frankly GT has been this way since pretty much the mid 80s on. Except of course for the Lewis Dark years. Curry had his best team in 1985 with a great defense. 1990 was also a great defense. In 1998 the high water mark for O'Leary, we had a very good defense that had a knack for turnovers into touchdowns. During the Chan years we averaged 7-5 with a very good defense and no offense.

With CPJ 2008-09 we had a pretty good defense with a pretty good offense. 2011 an explosive offense.
2014 was a year that we had a senior laden team with a very good offense and a pretty good defense.

What is the point, at Tech we suffer because we can not recruit a defense to the level of other teams. We every now and then have it good, but when we don't have the players, we have to take risk, as we did with Tennutta. So now the question becomes, are we now an aggressive defense. And with a CPJ offense, what does that mean.

I am just curious to see what are your expectations of GT Football going forward and not just for this season.

Yesterday I was listening to David Hale on the First Team and they were talking about how under CPJ Tech seems to go from pretty good highs to mediocre and a bit lower. They were speculating about the CPJ Tenure. One thing they did say is that offense has never been the issue. It has been defense.

That all being said I thought frankly GT has been this way since pretty much the mid 80s on. Except of course for the Lewis Dark years. Curry had his best team in 1985 with a great defense. 1990 was also a great defense. In 1998 the high water mark for O'Leary, we had a very good defense that had a knack for turnovers into touchdowns. During the Chan years we averaged 7-5 with a very good defense and no offense.

With CPJ 2008-09 we had a pretty good defense with a pretty good offense. 2011 an explosive offense.
2014 was a year that we had a senior laden team with a very good offense and a pretty good defense.

What is the point, at Tech we suffer because we can not recruit a defense to the level of other teams. We every now and then have it good, but when we don't have the players, we have to take risk, as we did with Tennutta. So now the question becomes, are we now an aggressive defense. And with a CPJ offense, what does that mean.
If the aggressive defense pays off even marginally, we should be in great shape. If the aggressive defense improves with time and recruiting, we should be in the best shape since 2008-2009. That, of course, all depends on the O returning to pre-2017 levels of performance, and I think it will.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
My exspectation is for more consistency, I think 9 plus wins a year with better D is very reasonable. I also think with all the new stuff going on from uniforms, staff, and renovations it should create better recruiting which is another expectation, and will help with that consistency. IMO it all depends on the defense though for consistency. I’ll also add imo our D talent is WAY better than what they have shown in past years.

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
Expect a lot of yards with Taquon and Kirvonte benson and I believe the defense will be stellar this season I believe were gonna be impressed with Nate Woody they have to be with this new Adidas gear coming out tomorrow I predict a 8-4 record

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I really have no idea, guess that is why we play the games. All I know we will beat someone every year that we shouldn't and lose to someone we shouldn't. But right now we are undefeated.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Defense will have some highs, but our inexperience in the secondary makes us vulnerable. Absent a credible passing attack, good teams will put 8 or 9 in the box and make it difficult to sustain drives. Bowl eligibility would exceed my expectations.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I expect 8/9+ wins a year on average, and a shot at championships.

For me, that means a head coach who brings something to the table that moves us thst direction and a dissatisfaction with anything in our way.

I think CPJ's O and our transitions on D fit my expectations.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Offense has often been an issue. People are just blind and because Johnson is synonymous with his offense he gets treated like an OC instead of a HC. So scapegoating the defense allows his fans to act like Johnson isn't a problem.

Last year we lost to Miami when they scored 25 to our 24. We scored only 24 points despite Miami gift wrapping us a TD on the onside kick. We scored a total of 3 points on offense in the second half. But what is the narrative of that game? Defense sucks and bubble screen memes. Why? because punt, punt, punt, punt by our offense to end the game isn't a problem.

Scoring 10 against Clemson isn't a problem. Scoring 7 against UGA isn't a problem. Hellthe UVA game if you go beyond just looking at the final score shows the offense was a problem as well.

In 2016. We scored 7 against Clemosn. Not a problem. Scored 21 against miami and gift wrapped them 2 TDs. Not a problem, 20 points against UNC. Not a problem.

In 2015. Not a problem.

To some the offense isn't a problem tautologically. The problem is always defense, and it's never Johnson's defense. It's Roof's defense. Or it's Groh's defense. Or it's Wommack's defense. But never Johnson's defense. Next year it'll be Woody's defense. And when Woody's defense performs to the same level that Johnson's defenses do, it'll be written off with some excuse like getting used to the system or the cupboard being bare, and the wheel will keep on turning.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Offense has often been an issue. People are just blind and because Johnson is synonymous with his offense he gets treated like an OC instead of a HC. So scapegoating the defense allows his fans to act like Johnson isn't a problem.

Last year we lost to Miami when they scored 25 to our 24. We scored only 24 points despite Miami gift wrapping us a TD on the onside kick. We scored a total of 3 points on offense in the second half. But what is the narrative of that game? Defense sucks and bubble screen memes. Why? because punt, punt, punt, punt by our offense to end the game isn't a problem.

Scoring 10 against Clemson isn't a problem. Scoring 7 against UGA isn't a problem. Hellthe UVA game if you go beyond just looking at the final score shows the offense was a problem as well.

In 2016. We scored 7 against Clemosn. Not a problem. Scored 21 against miami and gift wrapped them 2 TDs. Not a problem, 20 points against UNC. Not a problem.

In 2015. Not a problem.

To some the offense isn't a problem tautologically. The problem is always defense, and it's never Johnson's defense. It's Roof's defense. Or it's Groh's defense. Or it's Wommack's defense. But never Johnson's defense. Next year it'll be Woody's defense. And when Woody's defense performs to the same level that Johnson's defenses do, it'll be written off with some excuse like getting used to the system or the cupboard being bare, and the wheel will keep on turning.
When you look at stats as a whole compared to other teams then offense has never been the problem at GT when CPJ has been here. Even the worst year of 2015 GT was Still middle of the ACC in offense.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
When you look at stats as a whole compared to other teams then offense has never been the problem at GT when CPJ has been here. Even the worst year of 2015 GT was Still middle of the ACC in offense.

And when you watch the actual games offense has been the problem.

Also 2015 is hyperinflated because we ran up the score on the two OOC cupcakes we faced. We were 12th in scoring offense in conference games in 2015. 2016 we were 8th btw.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
And when you watch the actual games offense has been the problem.

Also 2015 is hyperinflated because we ran up the score on the two OOC cupcakes we faced. We were 12th in scoring offense in conference games in 2015. 2016 we were 8th btw.
If you look at GT’s games individually then you have to look at every other teams games individually before you can hope to make an appraisal

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And when Woody's defense performs to the same level that Johnson's defenses do, it'll be written off with some excuse like getting used to the system or the cupboard being bare, and the wheel will keep on turning.

I disagree with this statement. IMO, Woody is Johnson's last chance at getting this right. If the scenario is the same as it was under the 3 previous, I think the focus will in fact shift to CPJ and perhaps the limitations of his offense in recruiting people to play D. We know Tech is a challenge in the recruiting front but CCG's teams had effective defenses (and that is the benchmark for most of us - effective vs. Bama or Clemson elite).

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

In 2015. Not a problem.

Come on now, Offense has been the issue about 3 times under CPJ and those years the D was also an issue. Out of 10 years if the offense is only the issue three times, that’s pretty good. To say often is just false with no facts to back it up. If you don’t like the system or CPJ (not saying this is the case) then that’s fine but let’s not say things that don’t hold weight because of that.

When you started cherry picking games you lost credibility to me. Did you watch the Miami game? The offense was fine until it flooded and they slipped over and over and over again. Clemson pretty much dominated everyone, and UGA was in the national championship with NFL caliber players all over the field. We don’t get they type of players to compete with that year in and year out. UVA, the offense was fine as showed by the number they put up on offense. Has the offense been an issue before? Sure, but that’s called football, you can’t expect every game for the offense or defense to ball out. Go watch the pros, some of the best offenses or defenses will sputter in a season and have bad games but should we really complain about that?

Show me another offense in the past 10 years that is not a factory that has had the success as GT? 7 of 10 years with top 25 offense efficiency with 2 of the years in the top 2 or 3.

I’ll agree somewhat about the D being on CPJ, but it’s still kinda hard when it has been made public that he was not able to do what he wanted with hiring staff ect. I think this is really the first year that he has been given resources to succeed, if in 2 or 3 years things haven’t changed on that side of the ball then I’ll agree 100 percent, actually if things aren’t any better by next year I’ll start to agree with you.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Unlike some people above, I completely agree that the season will be determined by how well the D does. As I've said here before, I don't think the overall stats will be much different (hope I'm wrong); we're using a new D and most players haven't had the game experience to figure out how to cover the inevitable gaps. I hope we do better in sacks and INCs, however. I think there'e every reason to expect that and it might easily be enough to make the difference.

I expect that the O will be marginally better then it was last year due not the greater game experience of the skill players and Lynch returning to health. The one thing we need to do is find an OL lineup we can keep on the field for more then three weeks. Lat year was a case of fruit basket turnover. If that happens again, our efficiency will suffer. But, unlike some here, I think we have sufficient OL players coming up to make depth less of a problem then it has been in the past. We'll see soon enough.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Come on now, Offense has been the issue about 3 times under CPJ and those years the D was also an issue. Out of 10 years if the offense is only the issue three times, that’s pretty good. To say often is just false with no facts to back it up. If you don’t like the system or CPJ (not saying this is the case) then that’s fine but let’s not say things that don’t hold weight because of that.

When you started cherry picking games you lost credibility to me. Did you watch the Miami game? The offense was fine until it flooded and they slipped over and over and over again. Clemson pretty much dominated everyone, and UGA was in the national championship with NFL caliber players all over the field. We don’t get they type of players to compete with that year in and year out. UVA, the offense was fine as showed by the number they put up on offense. Has the offense been an issue before? Sure, but that’s called football, you can’t expect every game for the offense or defense to ball out. Go watch the pros, some of the best offenses or defenses will sputter in a season and have bad games but should we really complain about that?

Show me another offense in the past 10 years that is not a factory that has had the success as GT? 7 of 10 years with top 25 offense efficiency with 2 of the years in the top 2 or 3.

I’ll agree somewhat about the D being on CPJ, but it’s still kinda hard when it has been made public that he was not able to do what he wanted with hiring staff ect. I think this is really the first year that he has been given resources to succeed, if in 2 or 3 years things haven’t changed on that side of the ball then I’ll agree 100 percent, actually if things aren’t any better by next year I’ll start to agree with you.
I doubt very much that he will have "2 or 3 years" to fix the defense. If this is a 5-6 win year after a disappointing 2017 season that followed a good 2016 season, that followed a truly awful 2015 season, and it was accomplished with a veteran QB in an option offense, there would be no reason for the AD to assume 2019 would be better with a rookie QB. That sentence is as confusing as our performance since 2014. I love to see passing lanes in basketball and soccer, double plays and cutoff relays in baseball, and Johnson's option football offense. Skill and teamwork execution light me up. But the beauty of it includes winning, and doing so consistently. Offense, defense, special teams, funding, support? Makes no never mind. I think the window is 2018, period, and the blame placed later. I hope I'm wrong, but Johnson needs a minimum of eight wins and a strong foundation for 2019 to be asked back.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

3 years? The last 3 years the offense has been disappointing. 2015 it was bad. 2016 it was mediocre and considering we had a 3 year starter at QB that shouldn't have been the case and last year was mediocre. 2014 had an amazing offense, for the second half. Thank god an injury forced Johnson's hand at BBack. Prior to that we had several years of wallowing in the mire of Lee and Washington led teams.

Against Miami we scored 17 points on offense. That's a problem. But of course it's always something else that is the issue. This time it's the weather. Against Clemosn and UGA our offense was pathetic and the supporters of Johnson always tout how his offense helps us overcome those talent differentials. Also, that's an argument nobody ever brings up, nor would anyone accept for the other side of the ball. "Nobody would look at the UGA game and say that, it's fine our defense gave up 38. They have all that NFL talent". Against UVA our team scored 36. 7 of those came directly from the defense. S0 that is 29 points for the offense. Of course 7 more points came off a turnover allowing us to go 14 yards for a score when our offense was bogged down after 3 straight punts. The offense also had a safety so that's them score 2 for the other team. They also gave UVA the ball on our side of the field setting up a FG. They also gave UVA the ball on the GT 30 setting up another short field for a TD. I have no idea how you can look at that game and call it fine. But it's always been that way. Going back to 2012 we scored 17 points against VT, including 7 off a 24 yard drive after turnover, and throw an INT in OT to give the game away. What was the story fans were pushing out? Defense was to blame as it always is and always will be under Johnson.

Oh please. Johnson whines that he didn't get his first pick and he gets a free pass for that side of the ball. But yeah, now he has the resources. Of course never mind that Nate Woody actually is making less than Ted Roof was last year and pretty much exactly what Roof made his first year as DC. And here I though Teflon Paul was gone when we fired Hewitt.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
3 years? The last 3 years the offense has been disappointing. 2015 it was bad. 2016 it was mediocre and considering we had a 3 year starter at QB that shouldn't have been the case and last year was mediocre. 2014 had an amazing offense, for the second half. Thank god an injury forced Johnson's hand at BBack. Prior to that we had several years of wallowing in the mire of Lee and Washington led teams.

Against Miami we scored 17 points on offense. That's a problem. But of course it's always something else that is the issue. This time it's the weather. Against Clemosn and UGA our offense was pathetic and the supporters of Johnson always tout how his offense helps us overcome those talent differentials. Also, that's an argument nobody ever brings up, nor would anyone accept for the other side of the ball. "Nobody would look at the UGA game and say that, it's fine our defense gave up 38. They have all that NFL talent". Against UVA our team scored 36. 7 of those came directly from the defense. S0 that is 29 points for the offense. Of course 7 more points came off a turnover allowing us to go 14 yards for a score when our offense was bogged down after 3 straight punts. The offense also had a safety so that's them score 2 for the other team. They also gave UVA the ball on our side of the field setting up a FG. They also gave UVA the ball on the GT 30 setting up another short field for a TD. I have no idea how you can look at that game and call it fine. But it's always been that way. Going back to 2012 we scored 17 points against VT, including 7 off a 24 yard drive after turnover, and throw an INT in OT to give the game away. What was the story fans were pushing out? Defense was to blame as it always is and always will be under Johnson.

Oh please. Johnson whines that he didn't get his first pick and he gets a free pass for that side of the ball. But yeah, now he has the resources. Of course never mind that Nate Woody actually is making less than Ted Roof was last year and pretty much exactly what Roof made his first year as DC. And here I though Teflon Paul was gone when we fired Hewitt.

B**ch, b**ch, b**ch. Man that all you do about PJ. Newsflash, we get that you despise PJ and his O. Guess what? IT AIN"T GOING TO CHANGE DESPITE YOUR B**CHING. Please find something else to post about or just quit posting. You come across as a watb and it's gotten way too old. SMFH