A few things.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Apologize, thought it was condescending, I shouldn't have taken it personal ...

I guess my point is, comparing business to football is comparing apples to oranges, with way different managerial skills required. Micro managing is not good, but with the game on the line in the 4thQ the HC needs to be involved.
100% agree with this. I don't agree that it's different skills. I think the HC and the Coordinators are in concert and they work together. That's what I tried to convey in my previous post.

forensicbuzz

Whoa. I wasn't critisizing you. LOL. Just making a comment. Forgive me.
Sorry, didn't mean to come across as defensive. That, too, was not my intent. I think we were saying the same thing. Sometimes I comment on a post responding to a post responding to a post. So, sometimes my comment isn't really about the original post. Sorry it came across that way. It's been a day. Where's the 🥃 ?

forensicbuzz

Situations arise when a HC overruling a defensive play call is warranted, even if it fits the definition of micromanaging.
I don't recall the exact details, but I believe there was a Miami game during CPJ's tenure where they kept running the same play (swing pass to boundary, maybe?) successfully over and over while we wanted the clock to run out. It may have been Roof calling the defense, but eventually, CPJ got fed up and told him to stop that and do something else. He mentioned it in his presser afterwards.

Edit to add: Pretty sure it was Roof's "bend don't break" style that was killing us on that drive.
Agreed. But that was him telling to stop doing that instead of telling him what to do. Like my original response said, HC points the direction and the coordinators make it happen. If he doesn't like how it's being done, he tells them "do it some other way." not "do it this way." Although, I wouldn't put it past CPJ to take over the reins; if he did that, the coordinator's probably gone anyway.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Victory Speech Wisconsin GIF by GIPHY News

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Faulkner calls the plays. Key and Faulkner and Weinke game plan, but Faulkner calls the plays. If Key doesn't like what he's seeing, he communicates he wants more or X or more of Y, but Faulkner executes the game plan.

Clock management is Key's job. The first part is on the coordinators.
Key surely has major input and occasionally overrides what the OC wants to do on game critical offensive calls