A few things.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. We are better than we were last year and building. Key trusting the team to get the yard goes both ways. We didn't and need to get better. Someone has to win and L'VILLE was better.

I have confidence in Key and his people. I still think we win 6 this year. But IIWII.
I agree. However, there has to be another way to get the yard on 4th and1 when the D has 6-7 jammed at the LOS. It’s not distrust to acknowledge a stacked line and find an alternate play - especially if you run it from the shotgun.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree. However, there has to be another way to get the yard on 4th and1 when the D has 6-7 jammed at the LOS. It’s not distrust to acknowledge a stacked line and find an alternate play - especially if you run it from the shotgun.
A play action pass to Rutherford or Singleton on 4th and one streaking over the middle would have been scintillating and would have had a pretty good chance of catching them with their pants down.
It would have had a better chance of working than a run up the middle, IMO. Be unpredictable.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agree - King and WrTe brought the team from 25 to 25 in 2 minutes. Its 2nd down and 3yds to go at 5minute mark. Lets keep rolling.

Then Key decided to run the ball. If i am wonder WTF - man you are killing the clock for them, they have got to be wondering why they didn't get to take 2 shots in end zone.

LIKE we did UL 23 we score 28 in second quarter but then conservative in 3rd. GT ??
UNC 23 Key to Smithers in end zone GT holds on to WIN
MIA- GT with no time left Wins!

Not to be - this game
The gt coach decided his qb and wr couldn't complete a pass in 3 attempts. Key had brain freeze
At least we got 3 yds in 3 attempts.

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Agree - King and WrTe brought the team from 25 to 25 in 2 minutes. Its 2nd down and 3yds to go at 5minute mark. Lets keep rolling.

Then Key decided to run the ball. If i am wonder WTF - man you are killing the clock for them, they have got to be wondering why they didn't get to take 2 shots in end zone.

LIKE we did UL 23 we score 28 in second quarter but then conservative in 3rd. GT ??
UNC 23 Key to Smithers in end zone GT holds on to WIN
MIA- GT with no time left Wins!

Not to be - this game
The gt coach decided his qb and wr couldn't complete a pass in 3 attempts. Key had brain freeze
At least we got 3 yds in 3 attempts.
Key does not seem to be calling each play (like CPJ did) but instead allowing his OC to do so. Before the stumbles this season we were praising our OC for his creativity. What happened? Has Key told Faulkner how he wants the game to be called (“Run the Bawl”?).
If so that is hurting us.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Key does not seem to be calling each play (like CPJ did) but instead allowing his OC to do so. Before the stumbles this season we were praising our OC for his creativity. What happened? Has Key told Faulkner how he wants the game to be called (“Run the Bawl”?).
If so that is hurting us.
Too much speculation on who calls what

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
OK. I'll speculate. I think we came into the first 5 games of the season with certain run plays. That's it. We were effective against FSU because they didn't prepare for them. Cuse and Louisville both had opportunity to scheme run blitzes.

The bye week will allow us to implement more of our offense. All of the mis-direction and pre-snap motion has a purpose. We just haven't revealed it yet.

I expect our offense to be meaningfully more effective over the back half of the season.

OK done speculating...:)

/

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
OK. I'll speculate. I think we came into the first 5 games of the season with certain run plays. That's it. We were effective against FSU because they didn't prepare for them. Cuse and Louisville both had opportunity to scheme run blitzes.

The bye week will allow us to implement more of our offense. All of the mis-direction and pre-snap motion has a purpose. We just haven't revealed it yet.

I expect our offense to be meaningfully more effective over the back half of the season.

/
Another thing: In my opinion Haynes hasn't been cutting the same the last couple of games. Against FSU he would run and hit open holes fast. He ran left a couple of times, planted his outside foot and started running back to the right. He hasn't done that in the last couple of games. I don't think he is 100%. If he were at full strength, he might have cut better and gained more yards. He might have been able to push through arms and shoulders and pick up the short yardage first downs.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Not sure exactly why but something just reminded me of the town hall meeting in Blazing Saddles.
Calling the meeting to order......

horse GIF by ADWEEK

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

/
Your post has been flagged for exceeding the speculation limit on this site. :LOL:

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Exactly. We are better than we were last year and building. Key trusting the team to get the yard goes both ways. We didn't and need to get better. Someone has to win and L'VILLE was better.

I have confidence in Key and his people. I still think we win 6 this year. But IIWII.
Louisville wasn't better. We had a kick blocked for a TD and a fumbled lateral for a TD. We missed a FG we should't have attempted for a total of 17 points. We don't beat ourselves (each of those 3 things were absolutely in our power to prevent) and we win the game.

We didn't execute the way we should have and a peer team beat us. That's usually the way it happens when the teams are pretty even. I think it's telling that we are now at the level with the upper half of the ACC. Need to continue to improve, but we're a sight better than we were.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Zero speculation pretty much shuts this site down. I have done some statistics and the current probability of a post being factual vs. speculation is less than 2%. In other words, restricting posts to factual content means allowing about 30 posts per month. Confidence interval here is +/- 7 posts per month.
Agree. I’ll add that 31% of statistics are made up on the spot.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Too much speculation on who calls what
Key doesn't call each play- no one is aaying that.

But he is responsible for the plan and in game adjustments.

Key is a young head coach who has experience at ol coach at Alabama where he had plenty and learned what good is. Then he was tutored by TFP in what not to do.

This past weekend he was going agsinst a vetrean coach. jeff bhrom - Head coach at western kentucky where he learned to do more with less.

Key needs time in the bosses head phone set during games.
The 5 or 6 yesrs at the next level - which requires gave him understanding of decesions to be made much faster.

Our coach has done great job in building an organization being demanding of players, mentoring them.

I think Key will learn, however we have to accept bumps. Rememberche spent 3 yesrs with TFP.

Last year without Dontae making the rushing was week ecept for King and long runs by the converted Wr. When we added Dontae it took off. Dontae ran on the slant off tackle with goal to get first downs
In off season Key did not go find a replacement and several rbs left.. Now we here from Key that the RB room needs 5 guys. So why is JHaynes is the only rb i the room. This will never happen again

Key will grow. Lets support him.

I think we are fine.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Key doesn't call each play- no one is aaying that.

But he is responsible for the plan and in game adjustments.

Key is a young head coach who has experience at ol coach at Alabama where he had plenty and learned what good is. Then he was tutored by TFP in what not to do.

This past weekend he was going agsinst a vetrean coach. jeff bhrom - Head coach at western kentucky where he learned to do more with less.

Key needs time in the bosses head phone set during games.
The 5 or 6 yesrs at the next level - which requires gave him understanding of decesions to be made much faster.

Our coach has done great job in building an organization being demanding of players, mentoring them.

I think Key will learn, however we have to accept bumps. Rememberche spent 3 yesrs with TFP.

Last year without Dontae making the rushing was week ecept for King and long runs by the converted Wr. When we added Dontae it took off. Dontae ran on the slant off tackle with goal to get first downs
In off season Key did not go find a replacement and several rbs left.. Now we here from Key that the RB room needs 5 guys. So why is JHaynes is the only rb i the room. This will never happen again

Key will grow. Lets support him.

I think we are fine.
CBK is a hood coach who is still learning and will only get better. The Jackets are right in line with where many thought they’d be prior to F$U. That win skewed expectations badly. Need to get back to where we formerly expected: 5-7 wins. I think we’ll find a way to get to 6.