A few things.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
CBK is a hood coach who is still learning and will only get better. The Jackets are right in line with where many thought they’d be prior to F$U. That win skewed expectations badly. Need to get back to where we formerly expected: 5-7 wins. I think we’ll find a way to get to 6.
Looking at it from Week 4 I think the Week 0 win may have skewed the expectations but after that win they were merely continued expectations from how last season ended. Did we "net lose" in personnel from last season to this season? Our OL was supposed to be a bright spot for us starting the season. But I say, on balance, we are not playing as well right now as we ended last season. Assessing our season 5/12 through it, I think the OL has been the biggest let down.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Looking at it from Week 4 I think the Week 0 win may have skewed the expectations but after that win they were merely continued expectations from how last season ended. Did we "net lose" in personnel from last season to this season? Our OL was supposed to be a bright spot for us starting the season. But I say, on balance, we are not playing as well right now as we ended last season. Assessing our season 5/12 through it, I think the OL has been the biggest let down.
Yeah… I think OL is a mixed bag with one side better than the other. The other part last season was the return of Dontae Smith. He was a difference make in that final stretch with his power off tackle runs. Not even UGAg could stop him. We don’t have a DS right now. Maybe Maddox or Carrie can be that man?

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Too much speculation on who calls what
Faulkner calls the plays. Key and Faulkner and Weinke game plan, but Faulkner calls the plays. If Key doesn't like what he's seeing, he communicates he wants more or X or more of Y, but Faulkner executes the game plan.
Exactly, Coach Key needs to learn to manage the game better, realize what's working and what the opponents defensive game plan is and adjust. Also understand clock management, especially late in the 4thQ.

I'm not throwing rocks at Coach Key, but this where more coaching experience is needed.
Clock management is Key's job. The first part is on the coordinators.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Faulkner calls the plays. Key and Faulkner and Weinke game plan, but Faulkner calls the plays. If Key doesn't like what he's seeing, he communicates he wants more or X or more of Y, but Faulkner executes the game plan.

He's the HC, he can adjust and over-rule, he's just not standing there being a spectator ...

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
A few things. I’m sure I’ll get flamed by some.

I wanna start out by saying, I think it’s interesting when 90% of the posters on here predicted anywhere from 5-7 wins before the season, and most on here were predicting us to lose this game (go back and look at the prediction thread and preseason win total thread), yet when we actually lose a game we’re expected lose, people lose their minds. (We opened as a 10 point dog.)

Losing sucks. I absolutely hate losing, especially when we gifted them a couple scores, but we did in my opinion play a deeper team with superior talent at their place…who’s also ranked and undefeated and won 10 games a year ago with a title game appearance and reloaded via the portal. It wasn’t Bowling Green.

3-2 is I think where most thought we’d be at this point in the season, but when we’re actually 3-2, the sky is falling. I figured we’d be 3-2, but with the FSU and Cuse games flipped. I still think McCord is one of the top 1-2 quarterbacks we’ll face.

I know fandom can make people irrational, but after losing ON THE ROAD to pretty good Syracuse and Louisville teams, people are wondering where we’re gonna find the other wins to become bowl eligible, which, again, was kind of our target given our schedule, which all of a sudden doesn’t seem as daunting, because…

We still get to play…
- Duke (Beat terrible MTSU, Elon…and beat terrible UCONN and NW by 5 & 6 pts.)
- UNC (Seemingly terrible but gef will pull out all the stops to beat us. His Super Bowl)
- Notre Dame (Maybe not as good as we thought but will be tough. At least we don’t travel. Probably be like a home game for them though.)
- Seemingly terrible VT
- Seemingly terrible NCSU

We CAN win all of those. We also get Miami at home and you never know what can happen in COFH. We better than Kentucky? GA loses 2-4 between now and then, I can see that culture imploding.

Keep in mind Cuse and Louisville had all the time in the world to prepare for us. We were Cuse’s second game following Ohio, Louisville got a bye before us after playing Jax St and Austin Peay. We’ve haven’t rested while globe trotting. We finally get a much needed bye. We lose to Duke? Yes, we would have the green light to panic.

Having said all that. No excuses. Win every game.

***One little extra tidbit I saw on twitter yesterday. The ones moaning the loudest about coaching and play calling…most of the time don’t even know what formation we’re in, or what personnel we have out, or what coverage we’re in. The same ones who think our defense gave up 31 points yesterday. Thought that was funny. And true.

Relax, guys. We’re fine. For now.
just like the thread I did a couple days ago trying to calm people down.

well said. we'll be alright.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
Only having 3 home games left is laughable. Terrible job by the GTAA
this is the last year of the MBS deal... we're almost there.

That said, they've done us some favors in that TWO of the three games at the Dodd remaining are night games. We might not have a noon home game all season which would be remarkable.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
this is the last year of the MBS deal... we're almost there.

That said, they've done us some favors in that TWO of the three games at the Dodd remaining are night games. We might not have a noon home game all season which would be remarkable.
Night games at BDS are a magical experience, especially against a top opponent in years we are good.

GT folks get loud and proud and BDS starts rocking. The electricity is palpable. The players get jacked. I’ve seen UGAg, Clemson, VPI, F$U, Pitt, UNC, NCSU, UVA, all with just ear splitting volume. The one I missed was ND 2006 as I was out of town for a conference. Wish I was there.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

He's the HC, he can adjust and over-rule, he's just not standing there being a spectator ...
Seems you haven't been in a managerial position before. You hire people to do their job and if you micromanage them, if they're any good at what they do, they go somewhere else. You don't overrule your people, you tell them the direction you want to go and let them do their job. They adjust as a team. It's the coordinators' job to figure out what the other team is doing and make the adjustments.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Seems you haven't been in a managerial position before. You hire people to do their job and if you micromanage them, if they're any good at what they do, they go somewhere else. You don't overrule your people, you tell them the direction you want to go and let them do their job. They adjust as a team. It's the coordinators' job to figure out what the other team is doing and make the adjustments.
Not being argumentative, but this is football, not a managerial position in a business firm ... apparently you haven't been on a football field. And just because your post seems antagonistic, I was a Regional Development Manager for the largest Industrial REIT in the country before retirement a few years back.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
But Key decides whether to go for it on 4th down. He may not call the play but he does decide .

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I can feel kg wanting to weigh in. Put down the ice cream bowl man, softball pitches abound.....

you go girl GIF

forensicbuzz

Not being argumentative, but this is football, not a managerial position in a business firm ... apparently you haven't been on a football field. And just because your post seems antagonistic, I was a Regional Development Manager for the largest Industrial REIT in the country before retirement a few years back.
Played through HS and have also been a successful manager. Since you have managerial experience (wasn't intended to be antagonistic), then you know you people don't perform best when micromanaged. Go back and re-read my original response and see if you really disagree with what I said to @gtie73. That was partly in response to you as well.

forensicbuzz

All managers have oversight.m, whether HBC or CEO. Exercising oversight properly is not micromanaging. The key word is properly. No pun intended.
I agree. Look at my original post. Emphasis mine (twice). Overruling someone and telling them what to run IS micromanaging when the OC's job is to call the plays.

Faulkner calls the plays. Key and Faulkner and Weinke game plan, but Faulkner calls the plays. If Key doesn't like what he's seeing, he communicates he wants more of X or more of Y, but Faulkner executes the game plan.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Played through HS and have also been a successful manager. Since you have managerial experience (wasn't intended to be antagonistic), then you know you people don't perform best when micromanaged. Go back and re-read my original response and see if you really disagree with what I said to @gtie73. That was partly in response to you as well.
Apologize, thought it was condescending, I shouldn't have taken it personal ...

I guess my point is, comparing business to football is comparing apples to oranges, with way different managerial skills required. Micro managing is not good, but with the game on the line in the 4thQ the HC needs to be involved.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Look at my original post. Emphasis mine (twice). Overruling someone and telling them what to run IS micromanaging when the OC's job is to call the plays.
Situations arise when a HC overruling a defensive play call is warranted, even if it fits the definition of micromanaging.
I don't recall the exact details, but I believe there was a Miami game during CPJ's tenure where they kept running the same play (swing pass to boundary, maybe?) successfully over and over while we wanted the clock to run out. It may have been Roof calling the defense, but eventually, CPJ got fed up and told him to stop that and do something else. He mentioned it in his presser afterwards.

Edit to add: Pretty sure it was Roof's "bend don't break" style that was killing us on that drive.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Situations arise when a HC overruling a defensive play call is warranted, even if it fits the definition of micromanaging.
I don't recall the exact details, but I believe there was a Miami game during CPJ's tenure where they kept running the same play (swing pass to boundary, maybe?) successfully over and over while we wanted the clock to run out. It may have been Roof calling the defense, but eventually, CPJ got fed up and told him to stop that and do something else. He mentioned it in his presser afterwards.

Edit to add: Pretty sure it was Roof's "bend don't break" style that was killing us on that drive.
Believe it was bubble screens