A few notes from last night's show

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You think interpreting signals that are in plain view cheating?

It sure isnt. Its the difference between a good staff and one that is becoming more and more questionable. Between the lack of fixing whats broke and mindless systems that can be easily stolen over a quarter it really makes u wonder

Well jwsavgt maybe I need to meet you cause some on this site are exactly as I said.
I have maybe 15 to 20 friends who are Tech fans. Of that number, I think only 5 actually went to or graduated from Tech, and those 5, plus myself, are not the least bit elitist. The others, who did not go to Tech, have loved Tech for years because of family ties or a simple love for the school and what it represents. I don't think they perceive the Tech alums they know as being elitist.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
GT could attract more sidewalk fans such as myself if the arrogance and superiority complex attitudes changed. The reason Clemson and North Carolina and others attract sidewalk fans is the WORKING man can relate to them. I think GT is one of the finest schools in the nation, but the alumni are so elitist it is a turn off to many working class people. Just my .02 I've been a fan for 30 years and will continue but don't associate much with the elitist.
Well I guess you could say I'm a sidewalk fan being that I graduated from Southern Tech 1979(Southern Technical Institute at that time ) which most don't know at that time was a division of Georgia Tech . I have had season tickets since 1981 and have many friends who graduated from Georgia Tech and have at no time been looked down at by anyone from Georgia Tech. ( I had one friend who was from uga but I really didn't like him) All the people who I sit by are great people and they all are from Georgia Tech.

Don't get me wrong I have met and know some great alumni and I'm glad to hear that most aren't like some I simply made a statement from my observations. The first game I went to at tech I had a great time albeit no one spoke to us except joe Hamilton and Calvin tiggle going back to our hotel.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I’ll try to explain this better. There are sidewalk fans, alumni fans, and alumni “fans”. Sidewalk fans and alumni fans seem to genuinely care about the team and support the team even if they go 3-9 in a season. Alumni “fans” are alumni who support the team but generally only really give a damn if they’re only doing good or it’s a big game just hoping maybe there’s an upset. Those are the fans that usually come off elitist. Now certainly every school has those fans but with a lot of other schools there is a larger number of fans who show support even when it’s not always sunny around the program. GT’s fanbase seems to be a majority of alumni and not as large as other schools. That’s the easiest way I can make sense of it.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I’ll try to explain this better. There are sidewalk fans, alumni fans, and alumni “fans”. Sidewalk fans and alumni fans seem to genuinely care about the team and support the team even if they go 3-9 in a season. Alumni “fans” are alumni who support the team but generally only really give a damn if they’re only doing good or it’s a big game just hoping maybe there’s an upset. Those are the fans that usually come off elitist. Now certainly every school has those fans but with a lot of other schools there is a larger number of fans who show support even when it’s not always sunny around the program. GT’s fanbase seems to be a majority of alumni and not as large as other schools. That’s the easiest way I can make sense of it.
Ok question what kind of fan is it that has car flags gets out of car walks in Kroger all dress in uga crap and their game is on TV at that time and they don't know it ? :)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Let's face it, most of the alumni fans sing about how great they are at their jobs and what great family they have or are going to have and how much alcohol that can buy and drink, and they do it every time team scores. You can't get much more elitist than that.

Let's face it, most of the alumni fans sing about how great they are at their jobs and what great family they have or are going to have and how much alcohol that can buy and drink, and they do it every time team scores. You can't get much more elitist than that.
I have never done that, nor have I ever heard an alum do that.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is Hilarious! Definitely going in the sig.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Back to signals. I have been suspicious that the other team already knows what we are going to do. The past few years, it appears that VT, Clemson, and others are shading to where we are going prior to the snap. Maybe one of our players are telegraphing the play.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Back to signals. I have been suspicious that the other team already knows what we are going to do. The past few years, it appears that VT, Clemson, and others are shading to where we are going prior to the snap. Maybe one of our players are telegraphing the play.
Well we usually show which direction we’re going prior to the snap. It seems most defenses have been playing overly aggressive towards it because we haven’t really made anyone pay for it recently. We try to run a misdirection type play every now and then but usually the edge blocking hasn’t been good enough to do much. Even when we do get some blocks the blocks aren’t held long enough for a huge play to occur. At most it ends up being about a 15 yard gain and most teams seem to be willing to give that up in order to blow up a play on some other down. It’s why getting the dive going is important. If the defense has to slow down a little bit in order to stop us from getting 4-5 yards up the middle every play then the outside opens up more.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It is time we did the same. I am sure I am preaching to the choir here..
Yep. When Tech was the only game in town, and when there were fewer entertainment options in Atlanta, the stadium was a little more full on a regular basis. But empty seats have been a regular part of the experience for at least the last 50 years.

Tech fans are a strange contradiction in terms of what we want on the field and what we are willing to do to facilitate that.