A few notes from last night's show

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
1) Step will be ready Saturday.

2) Clinton Lynch's father was a standout at Illinois. Paul's Hawaii team beat them in a bowl in the 90s.

3) On pass defense, specifically lack of a rush. Paraphrasing: Well, you have to cover to. We did get to him some in the second half. Almost were able to get his arm and get a fumble out of it, which is the best goal. We have got to challenge receivers more. We were in man but playing off them 6 or 8 yards. Can't have that.

4) Q: What was the goal of the no-huddle? Did it work out?
A: I wanted to give Justin fewer checks. Plus I could see how they were lining up. Didn't work out so hot. They stole our signals. If I do it again, I'll have three people giving signals and only one will be in play, and we'll switch the one in play around.

1) Step will be ready Saturday.

2) Clinton Lynch's father was a standout at Illinois. Paul's Hawaii team beat them in a bowl in the 90s.

3) On pass defense, specifically lack of a rush. Paraphrasing: Well, you have to cover to. We did get to him some in the second half. Almost were able to get his arm and get a fumble out of it, which is the best goal. We have got to challenge receivers more. We were in man but playing off them 6 or 8 yards. Can't have that.

4) Q: What was the goal of the no-huddle? Did it work out?
A: I wanted to give Justin fewer checks. Plus I could see how they were lining up. Didn't work out so hot. They stole our signals. If I do it again, I'll have three people giving signals and only one will be in play, and we'll switch the one in play around.
I thought the no-huddle was why the offense produced more last week. Since Johnson said that was not the case, then that leaves me wondering why the offense did (or certainly seemed to) produce better. He said there were still missed assignments, and it was obvious that play on the edge wasn't yet what it once was. But was Miami's defense bad enough for us to look good, or have we finally turned the corner towards getting back the offense of past years? I don't care what the reason is, but I sure hope the end product is what we've become used to.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The ab gor Miami are really good athletes. Our guys seem to be all going low to take out the defenders legs. Saw the defender slip to side and give the soft leg to our blocker as he whiffs on to the ground.
In 14 E Joe was going low & missing. Then he started hi and when defender had to set legs to take on block joe went low.
Blocking in space is tough but thats their job . Time to step it up.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The reverend cheated, say it ain't so!

We were stupid, say it isn't so! As in NASCAR, if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying.

But if Miami was stealing our signals, it had to happen later in the game since they wouldn't be able to figure out right away. But we did a lot better later in the game and basically stopped ourselves. Our maybe I missed the don't hold signal.......

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We were stupid, say it isn't so! As in NASCAR, if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying.

But if Miami was stealing our signals, it had to happen later in the game since they wouldn't be able to figure out right away. But we did a lot better later in the game and basically stopped ourselves. Our maybe I missed the don't hold signal.......

No, they get them from others. CPJ was saying that everybody knows somebody.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One other kinda depressing note. Talking about recruiting, he said we go after plenty of big star guys too. We have FSU, Georgia, Clemson, Tennessee, Alabama all nearby and they are after those same guys. Facilities and home attendance are two areas we can't compete in. It isn't the first time he has said that a huge home stadium filled on Saturdays is a big selling point to many of the blue chips.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The idea that our signals were stolen so easily just burns me up. That's not excusable and it's not something that shouldn't have been recognized/corrected in-game.

ETA: And furthermore! Every team in the country assumes their signals are being stolen. I'm not saying we should have a corp of guys shimmy-shaking on the sidelines or using those dumb-a** signs and crap but man c'mon. That should be automatic. C'mon man.

Sorry, I hadn't vented at all over the last 2 games so I had a little backup going.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
I know it is impossible to turn BDS into an 80K seating mansion, and I do not think it is necessary. If we could fill our stadium to maximum capacity with 85-90% GT fans, I think that would be as impressive of a sight, especially with the back drop of the Atlanta skyline. Fans put a lot of blame on the program, but there are things we could do as fans to really help the program.

Oregon, Stanford, and Baylor all have stadiums that seat less than us but they seem to sell out and make it a true home field advantage for their teams. It is time we did the same. I am sure I am preaching to the choir here..

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I know it is impossible to turn BDS into an 80K seating mansion, and I do not think it is necessary. If we could fill our stadium to maximum capacity with 85-90% GT fans, I think that would be as impressive of a sight, especially with the back drop of the Atlanta skyline. Fans put a lot of blame on the program, but there are things we could do as fans to really help the program.

Oregon, Stanford, and Baylor all have stadiums that seat less than us but they seem to sell out and make it a true home field advantage for their teams. It is time we did the same. I am sure I am preaching to the choir here..
The nature of our school makes growing the fanbase difficult. First of all, we are a small school with fewer graduates than the state schools around us. Graduates are spread all over the world, let alone the country. Many of those grads don't know what a football is or think it's a soccer ball. It's hard to attract sidewalk fans because in the metro areas, college grads are loyal to their own colleges and it's super hard to get them to adopt us. The non college sidewalk fans in the suburbs and rural areas of the state tend to identify more with the state school out of tradition/long held family loyalties.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I thought the no-huddle was why the offense produced more last week. Since Johnson said that was not the case, then that leaves me wondering why the offense did (or certainly seemed to) produce better. He said there were still missed assignments, and it was obvious that play on the edge wasn't yet what it once was. But was Miami's defense bad enough for us to look good, or have we finally turned the corner towards getting back the offense of past years? I don't care what the reason is, but I sure hope the end product is what we've become used to.
Well, maybe we started putting guys in the wrong colored jerseys on the ground with more frequency and fewer whiffs. I am a big believer in blocking and tackling being the major determinant in who wins games. I also believe that with the triple option timing and getting the little things down pat become more apparent as the season goes on. As they say: "when the leaves are turning, the option is churning" So yes, I think we are getting better. Miami is good with the usual compliment of very fine athletes but they are not in the same category as Clemson. We will see what they do against FSU.

Last edited:

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
The nature of our school makes growing the fanbase difficult. First of all, we are a small school with fewer graduates than the state schools around us. Graduates are spread all over the world, let alone the country. Many of those grads don't know what a football is or think it's a soccer ball. It's hard to attract sidewalk fans because in the metro areas, college grads are loyal to their own colleges and it's super hard to get them to adopt us. The non college sidewalk fans in the suburbs and rural areas of the state tend to identify more with the state school out of tradition/long held family loyalties.

You know you bring up good points, but I currently live in the Atlanta area. The number of cars I see with GT stickers and license plates may be equal or even out number those of uga or other schools on a daily basis. I know that is not scientific data by any means, but the point is that in a town with more than 6 million people, more can be done to fill 55k seats, or a little bit less than 1% of the metro population. This is definitely not something that can be fixed overnight, and I also do believe winning mitigates a lot of the troubles in filling the seats, but I think if you asked CPJ he would agree in the assessment that we need more fan involvement in regards for support of the program.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

My goodness. How long have we talked about that? It's not the first time CPJ has mentioned it either.

At some point you have to look at the coaches if our DBs are so fundamentally unsound.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
My goodness. How long have we talked about that? It's not the first time CPJ has mentioned it either.

At some point you have to look at the coaches if our DBs are so fundamentally unsound.

Lol. Paul has repetitively in public in the media stated his issues with the D, heck i can remember it in 2014 after the unc game.

Yet nothing has happened.

THATS ON YOU PAUL. you are the head coach. Jeez. Unreal.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck

If we don't fill the stadium, we feel like a high school program. But I've always felt that cheaper tickets are needed to get the stands filled. DCS is correct, we don't have enough fanatics in the area to do it for lesser quality games. Here at UF, they sell the majority of the stadium at $20 or less for OOC games (better seats can go up to $200, and the BEST seats are for "Bull Gators" who contribute >$15k per year). So, how about this.....we sell half price tickets intended to attract more GT fans? Then, if you show up wearing non-GT colors, you have to buy a $10 t-shirt (gold perhaps, and @Supersizethatorder-mutt can choose the acceptable color palette).