72%

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
we invaded their territory at least 3 times (not sure if Taquon's fumble was in UT terriory, think it was midfield) and got zero points (2 missed fg's and green's fumble), we used alot of clock, ran up alot of yards, and converted alot of 3rd down to get there because we always had a long field. Our defense didn't really give us a short field to work with that I can remember. We get 3 points out of any of those 3 marches into UT territory and we are all happy today.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
we invaded their territory at least 3 times (not sure if Taquon's fumble was in UT terriory, think it was midfield) and got zero points (2 missed fg's and green's fumble), we used alot of clock, ran up alot of yards, and converted alot of 3rd down to get there because we always had a long field. Our defense didn't really give us a short field to work with that I can remember. We get 3 points out of any of those 3 marches into UT territory and we are all happy today.

It wasn't the GT D that gave us long fields. In the first half the D created a lot of three-and-outs, but the TN punter had some monster punts. One of them was 66 yards.

We usually play terrible D in the first half and then adjust at halftime and play better in the second half. It was the complete opposite last night. WTH happened? But even so, IMO, it was the turnovers and the kickoffs that killed us in the end. I sure feel better about this season after game one than I did last year after game one. That was the best opening game offense I think I have ever seen at Tech, and it well may have been the best offense of any game I have seen at Tech. JJ's turnover in particular killed us---a sure 7 points there. But with those kickoffs giving Tenn a short field every time, it was bound to catch up with us sooner or later. Where was King? I thought he was supposed to be the next Butker, and yet he's not even listed with a number on the team roster?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
We usually play terrible D in the first half and then adjust at halftime and play better in the second half. It was the complete opposite last night. WTH happened? But even so, IMO, it was the turnovers and the kickoffs that killed us in the end. I sure feel better about this season after game one than I did last year after game one. That was the best opening game offense I think I have ever seen at Tech, and it well may have been the best offense of any game I have seen at Tech. JJ's turnover in particular killed us---a sure 7 points there. But with those kickoffs giving Tenn a short field every time, it was bound to catch up with us sooner or later. Where was King? I thought he was supposed to be the next Butker, and yet he's not even listed with a number on the team roster?
I can't figure out why it changes for the defense in the 2nd half except that the defense was getting tired. I think Butch Jones told Tennessee to run it down GT's throats and the Jackets we unable to stop the UT running game in the 2nd half.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
It wasn't the GT D that gave us long fields. In the first half the D created a lot of three-and-outs, but the TN punter had some monster punts. One of them was 66 yards.
to clarify my point, A short field can be had by getting a turnover, doesn't have be a 3 and out and a poor punt

in the 2nd half, i think UT had a 3 and out on their first possession of the half and maybe one more (?) aftwerwards

I can't figure out why it changes for the defense in the 2nd half except that the defense was getting tired. I think Butch Jones told Tennessee to run it down GT's throats and the Jackets we unable to stop the UT running game in the 2nd half.
The D had plenty of time to rest what with the long drives we had almost every possession. There is certainly no reason for them to have been tired.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
to clarify my point, A short field can be had by getting a turnover, doesn't have be a 3 and out and a poor punt

in the 2nd half, i think UT had a 3 and out on their first possession of the half and maybe one more (?) aftwerwards

It wasn't needing poor punts. The worst punt that TN had was a 47 yard punt to the GT 26 yard line. He had shorter punts, but they were all inside the 20. I was wrong about the longest punt, it was a 70 yard punt to the 10 yard line. That means that GT stopped the TN offense on the TN 20 yard line. Can't get much better than that. A 70 yard punt is not something that GT should be seeing much of this year, but it really changes field position.

The defense did have issues. They gave up too many big plays at the end of the 3rd quarter and in the 4th. The field position issues were the result of special teams: GT's KO and coverage, and TN's punting.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
my initial short field comment was trying to illustrate how we had so much offensive production statistically relative to the point total we produced

in other words, if we had short fields to work with we may have scored more points, but had less rushing yardage, etc.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Damn,GT has got a good offense this season!:cool: With Marshall and Benson this team s going to be fun to watch:cool:

Kirvonte is like 5'8...and the guy was moving over 1,000 pounds of humans draped all over him.

Taquan is fun to watch. He has the innate ability to "feel" pressure from his blindside, and is his agility is better than JeT's IMO. His carries need to come down to around 20+/- a game, or he won't last. He's a warrior, but you could tell he was getting up slower and slower as the game wore on.

That's gonna be a fun duo to watch. To think, Clinton Lynch wasn't even playing that game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I still think turnover margin is the biggest stat that matters.
+4 W
-1 W
0 W
-3 L
+1 L
-2 L
+2 W
-4 W
-1 W
-1 L
+3 W
-1 L
-1 L
0 W
0 W
+1 W
+2 W
+2 W
-3 L
0 L
+5 W
+1 W
+1 W
+1 W
+1 W
-1 L
+1 W
+2 W
+1 W
+1 L
+1 L
-2 L
+2 L
-2 L
-1 W
-1 L
-1 L
-4 L
-3 L
+2 W
-2 W
0 W
0 L
-3 L
+1 L
0 W
+1 W
-2 L
+3 W
+3 W
0 W
+1 W
-2 L
-2 or worse = 2-10
-1 = 3-6
0 = 6-2
+1 = 9-4
+2 or better = 10-1

We have won 5 games total when we have lost the turnover battle since Ted Roof has been our DC. So 23.8% is my percentage.
Well done. You know, I could deal with a turnover as the cost of doing business in any offense, but those 14-point jobs as with last night just crush my spirit. I credit Tech and the coaches with keeping their heads in the game after that and getting two OTs out of it, because a Tech score there and that game was close to history.