54, 60, 48, 44, 51

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The last coach left the squad nearly completely devoid of talent. That's a huge part of the reason we are where we are, and it goes on his legacy.
Please stop with how bad you think CPJ was as a coach. There are some of us who liked him. But we are trying to get behind CGC but people like you make it hard cause you won't let it go. Talk about the recruiting and the future and stop all this past garbage that divides our fan base

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
Please stop with how bad you think CPJ was as a coach. There are some of us who liked him. But we are trying to get behind CGC but people like you make it hard cause you won't let it go. Talk about the recruiting and the future and stop all this past garbage that divides our fan base
I actually quite liked the last head coach, there's plenty of history there where you can find stuff I've said, back to before he was hired.

The last several years he completely mailed it in and left the program in a bad state. That's also a part of his legacy, and it effects how we have to look at the program in the near future.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
“According to Kendall Baker’s “2018 College Football’s Best Fed Teams” spreadsheet, which takes the average height and weight of every player on the 2018 roster who played into account, Georgia Tech ranked at No. 115 out of 132 FBS teams with a height average of 73.622 inches and a weight average of 229.0793 pounds. For comparison’s sake, Georgia ranked at No. 11, with an average height of 74.3821 and a weight of 242.2784. Collins was right when he said that Georgia Tech had the second-smallest averages out of all Power 5 programs. Only Washington State ranked lower than Georgia Tech on this spreadsheet, coming in at No. 122.”

Staying on point: Geoff Collins turns message to recruiting after loss to Georgia
https://theathletic.com/1423013/201...lowing-loss-to-georgia/?source=shared-article

True2GT

Georgia Tech Fan
“According to Kendall Baker’s “2018 College Football’s Best Fed Teams” spreadsheet, which takes the average height and weight of every player on the 2018 roster who played into account, Georgia Tech ranked at No. 115 out of 132 FBS teams with a height average of 73.622 inches and a weight average of 229.0793 pounds. For comparison’s sake, Georgia ranked at No. 11, with an average height of 74.3821 and a weight of 242.2784. Collins was right when he said that Georgia Tech had the second-smallest averages out of all Power 5 programs. Only Washington State ranked lower than Georgia Tech on this spreadsheet, coming in at No. 122.”

Staying on point: Geoff Collins turns message to recruiting after loss to Georgia
https://theathletic.com/1423013/201...lowing-loss-to-georgia/?source=shared-article
Same sized players have been getting the job done pretty well for the last decade. Let's move on to the future. Focus on next seasons not excuses why this season was the way it was.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

... and a BIG "Amen" to this !!

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Same sized players have been getting the job done pretty well for the last decade. Let's move on to the future. Focus on next seasons not excuses why this season was the way it was.

3 out of 11 seasons is not what I would consider getting the job done. But OK

True2GT

Georgia Tech Fan
3 out of 11 seasons is not what I would consider getting the job done. But OK
You choose 3 I would have it 4 maybe 5 were pretty good and all but one was on par with the history of the team. We can agree to disagree and look forward to the future.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
That's the ranking of our last 5 recruiting classes (i.e - the players on the field for this season). There's a reason our offense has been effectively shut out 3 years in a row against UGA (not to mention what Clemson has been doing to us), no matter who the X&O coaches were. Nobody is surprised when one of those teams massacres say ... Vanderbilt or NC State or something, but we've recruited even worse than those programs.

We have bottom tier P5 talent, and play a top tier P5 schedule - we had a few year breather in the late '00s / early '10s where UGA and Clemson were both pretty average as well, but that's over. There isn't a fix for that other than going out and getting some Jimmies and Joes.

Our first top 25 class since 2007 (you know, the class that made up the core of the '08 and '09 teams we remember so fondly) is coming in this offseason. Hopefully there will be several more to build a base a talent that gives us a chance to compete.

If only we played like a team with those averages, everyone would understand!

Our current FPI rating is 112. To put in perspective…

110 - Georgia State
111 - UL Monroe
112 - Georgia Tech
113 - Charlotte
114 - C Carolina

I am quite sure we recruited better than this group…coaching however…not so much!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We just need to stop with the narrative of the state of the program being the last coaches fault. The fact is we failed at transitioning, but there are positives to look forward to.

During every transition the state of the program is intrinsically tied to the coach that just left. This one is no different.

Some of it is just a matter of fact and not a critique. For instance, Oliver might have been a good QB for Johnson, but he wasn't a good QB for any other system. I don't expect any coach to recruit for a system they don't run, but even so our QB situation is a direct result of who Johnson recruited. Same can be said for other factors like WRs and a lack of a TE. Some things are a critique. The state of our defense is a big problem and the poor recruiting and coaching on that side of the ball is a huge issue that falls right at the feet of Johnson as it did for the last decade. Some things are mixed. For example, the OL is a result of both recruiting for a different system but also poor recruiting and coaching.

Lastly there are some things that aren't on Johnson at all. The injuries are the most obvious. The effect of the current staff treating the first couple of games as an open tryout at QB are another.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No, but we can't also use it in terms of predicting long term results. '08-'09 were pretty unique in many ways by GT standards.

Who was predicting long term results? My statement was that I'd be content with 7-8 win seasons if we had the occasional 10+ win season like we did twice during the last 11 years under CPJ. If CGCs coaching record mirrors CPJs in the W-L department I am ok with that. Unless we crack the top 15 in recruiting regularly, we are not likely to out factory the factories, and we can't count on the other teams we play against to stay static either.

I also give ALL CREDIT to CPJ for 2008-2009 because I watched an ACCCG where the former coach couldn't score a TD in spite of having Calvin freaking Johnson on the field. I have absolutely no confidence that Gailey could have won more than 8-9 games with the class he recruited in 2007.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The last coach left the squad nearly completely devoid of talent. That's a huge part of the reason we are where we are, and it goes on his legacy.

The team had plenty of talent to run the 3O. It didn't have the talent to run the "NFL style" offense we ran this year. Our Defense has several 4* players recruited by the previous staff. Not sure that we lacked talent, just the right type of talent.

True2GT

Georgia Tech Fan
Most of the stuff you’ve been posting has been laughable but this statement is just COMPLETELY ridiculous.

He graduated and is going to Grad school. That is an opportunity Parker decided to explore and is in no way CGC’s fault.
He literally said he was leaving to better prepare for the NFL right after CGC was hired and stated he would run an NFL offense. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
@True2GT

See this is why I haven't tried to explain before now. I am not 'offended' I'm not twelve, you said you didn't 'get it' so I tried to clarify.

When both Trey and Parker had completed their original commitment to GT ( Football in exchange for Undergrad) they both looked for The Best Masters Option for Them, since they both had some eligibility left. Then they explored the opportunity costs of staying vs. going. For Trey the decision was to stay. For Parker, other paths seemed to hold more promise. This idea that this is somehow a referendum on coaching before or after is ridiculous. Remember the goal in this process is to somehow get the best possible outcome (as you see it) in exchange for the work you do. This is no different. Now in order to have a true discussion about the merits of each outcome, you must answer all variables. the further away from it you are the less variables you know. In this example, I may have a clearer understanding of what some of the variables are , you being further removed see things less clear.

But, seriously, how great is it that, as a reward for three years of hard work, effort, and scholarship, in a time of question, turmoil, and transition, Parker was able to pick up his head and see that his hard work was recognized. That people had seen and valued his abilities. Then the world opened in terms of scholarship, playing, and lifestyle. now he gets to live in two of the greatest cities in US if not the world. He will play against 3 of the top conferences, in many of the great stadiums in the country. He'll have the exact Masters he wants. And if everything goes very well an opportunity to compete at the highest levels in college and beyond.

So, I have rambled on, mostly because I enjoyed this board and wanted to clarify this move. We love GT, we have loved GT, and we will love GT. I hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

to quote one of the great 20th century Poets:
LOVE, PEACE, and CHICKEN GREASE!

Milwaukee

Banned
Most of the stuff you’ve been posting has been laughable but this statement is just COMPLETELY ridiculous.

He graduated and is going to Grad school. That is an opportunity Parker decided to explore and is in no way CGC’s fault.

Pretty sure he’s a regular poster he just created a new account for whatever reason. He’s on the loose today that’s for sure. Ignored.

True2GT

Georgia Tech Fan
Lol @True2GT is just going to make Braun leaving CGC fault when Braun’s dad came here himself saying he was leaving regardless

Recruiting is convincing good players to come to your school and play football there. What this shows me is that CGC wasn't a good enough recruiter to convince PB to stay. How is that inaccurate? Isn't CGC supposed to be a magician recruiter?

Here we go again...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He literally said he was leaving to better prepare for the NFL right after CGC was hired and stated he would run an NFL offense. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Lol @True2GT is just going to make Braun leaving CGC fault when Braun’s dad came here himself saying he was leaving regardless

The guy has 15 posts and joined yesterday. It's entirely possible he never saw that post from Mr Braun.