5 guys you will be watching close in Spring Practice?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So last season was an anomaly in your eyes?
A lot of faith in teams who have waaayyy more issues than we do especially at the QB position. This is a 9-10 win regardless of schedule imo.

Back to the topic.

1. Jabari - the craziest 298lbs I've have seen. Built similar to Mario Edwards of FSU. Will his transition take us to the next level

2a- 2b. CJ & Quaide - whoever can hold onto the ball will start

3. Brown- is his play bigger than his hype?

4. Chris Milton - will he limit the number of big plays and take advantage of the extra throws coming his way due DJ being on the the other side.

5. WR.- who will emerge as that go guy when a play is needed
Not at all. But right now we are very thin at A back and have no B backs, and those are very close tolerance, space and timing positions, and our WR branch is but a twig at present. In addition, whatever our hopes for the defense, until it proves differently it is a sieve. I would take your list but omit Brown and Milton and add Matthew Jordan, see if he is going to be the real thing and if so, what does it mean to dominoes? -- and Harrison Butker. VT and Georgia were big time kicks, but 50% is pedestrian. I would add Justin Thomas. I am anxious to see how he develops as a passer -- he misses some deep sideline throws, what wrinkles Johnson adds, running and throwing. I am excited about the program. But in my mind it can be seven, or nine, or if the stars align and every prospect works out and Jabari is back for the entire season and meets the hype ladled out by Mason, and if a couple of linebackers step up big time, then maybe 11 .. . avoiding another Duke or Kansas. If it were an investment portfolio, I'm not sure I would put a big chunk of it into all of that happening.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Eric, let me ask you something. I don't believe I had lucked into finding your site this time last year. Are you able to get some good info from the coaches during spring practice? All the other sites seem to be shut out except when CPJ holds a news conference.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I can answer that. Yes. You will get daily updates from Eric and they will not only be more than you will get anywhere else, they will give you excellent insight into what is going on with the team.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
After rewatching the NC State game, Marcordes is another guy to watch. He was hell to block in that game. The only problem is that Davis is a heat seeking missile, and we probably don't want to bring 6 too often.
I'm excited about the defense. My worries on offense have to do with edge blocking and a consistent target emerging for the 3rd and longs.
The last time we were this green at A back and WR, VT ate us up outside the tackles all night. We need to get good performance there quickly.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Not at all. But right now we are very thin at A back and have no B backs, and those are very close tolerance, space and timing positions, and our WR branch is but a twig at present. In addition, whatever our hopes for the defense, until it proves differently it is a sieve. I would take your list but omit Brown and Milton and add Matthew Jordan, see if he is going to be the real thing and if so, what does it mean to dominoes? -- and Harrison Butker. VT and Georgia were big time kicks, but 50% is pedestrian. I would add Justin Thomas. I am anxious to see how he develops as a passer -- he misses some deep sideline throws, what wrinkles Johnson adds, running and throwing. I am excited about the program. But in my mind it can be seven, or nine, or if the stars align and every prospect works out and Jabari is back for the entire season and meets the hype ladled out by Mason, and if a couple of linebackers step up big time, then maybe 11 .. . avoiding another Duke or Kansas. If it were an investment portfolio, I'm not sure I would put a big chunk of it into all of that happening.
I'm interested in JTs development as a passer as well. As good as he was, he still has some room to grow here and really light up the world. First off, learning to get the ball into the stands when throwing it away. Twice he was picked off because he got a little lazy on his throw while being chased to the sideline (Duke & FSU...not surprisingly by two of the best safeties in the country). Second, tightening up his spiral. This can probably be fixed by focusing on the fundamentals a bit. It will help get him that little extra power and accuracy on his throws so he hits guys in stride a little better leading to more long TD passes. Since last year was his first as a starter I'm guessing most of his practice leading up to the season was focused on getting the TO down, but now that he's proven he can run it well he should be able to focus a little more on the rest of his game.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
1. JHD
2. Kallon
3. Whitehead
4. CJ Legget
5. Quade W.

Although there are a ton of players I am interested in, my belief is that if our d-line significantly improves and we don't have turnover/etc problems at b-back, that we will likely do well next year (barring major injuries) and that is my focus.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
New roster up on ramblinwreck if you have not seen it.

I really wish they did a better job of keeping that roster updated with height, weight, position. I guess it gets names and jersey numbers right.

My List
1. Matthew Jordan -- just want to see the progress, competing for 2nd team
2. Leggett
3. Lynch
4. Henderson
5. Searcy

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
1. Whitehead
2. Searcy
3. Lynch
4. Leggett
5. G. Brown

No particular order. 5 guys who have been in the program for a year. These and a few others have a real shot at playing time. Ready to see what the coaches think via depth chart and reps.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's see. There are lots of players I want to see so top 5 is really difficult. Here's my stab at it:

1) Jabari - impossible to not be excited about ~300 lbs of his athleticism cracking heads every play. Can't wait to hear about it and see it in the Spring game.
2) Gary Brown - 2014 offensive scout team player of the year after competing with Trey Klock. 'nuff said.
3) C.J. Leggett - Lack of B-Back experience is scary (but we knew it was coming). Really hoping he locks down the #1 B-Back spot despite Quaide's great Spring.
4) Anthony Harrell - Is he back 100%? Would love for him to have a great Spring and set the stage for an awesome Senior season
5) Harland Howell - WR is wide open (no disrespect intended to Jeune, Messick, etc.) Can he get on the field and contribute in his first season?

Honorable Mention: Brandon Oliver - We went to the same high school (Go Lions), so I always try to keep up with him...and WR is wide open...

Love this thread BTW, helps show just how many players we have to be excited about.

Go Jackets!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm picking Swilling. If he's as good as he looked last spring, he could be a real factor at BB. Other then that, the usual suspects seem ok, though I'm surprised there was no mention of Summers. He needs to step up big for us.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
1.WR-We need a primary rec..
2.we need a primary BB-this will go on in the Fall
3.We need a replacement for Nealy-this may go on til Fall
4.We need a SS-this may go on til Fall.Would love to have Gray start.
5. Do we have something REAL in Whitehead and/or JHD.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
Was there once. Somebody told me it is better now. I hope so.
I love it. But there are many parts of it I hate as well, mostly cultural things I can't agree with. I lost my voice and am missing work today because of the smog (Koreans claim its from China, I only half believe them). What did you not like about it?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pretty much all has been said by others, but here are my top 5 "watch for" list:
1. The battle at RG between Shamire Devine and Gary Brown. I think the world of Shamire's potential, but I also hear so much about Brown that it intrigues me.
2. Perhaps even more important that number 1, the battle at BB. CJ and Quaide have quite a void to fill. Either probably has the chance to be more electric, but both will have a major challenge to be as consistent and reliable. Also, will they support each other as faithfully as Zach and Synjin did?

3. Qua Searcy. I think the world of that kid. Amazing things can come in small packages. From what little I have acually seen of him, I just have a gut feel he is going to be really really good.

4. We have good corners, but I am curious to see who steps up at safety. Will Lynn Griffin get moved back? Will Corey take over? Jalen?

5. The DT position. Not only do we need to improve, we need better depth. JHD coming on is an absolute must. I am worried about what happens after him. Kallon? Gamble to DE for sure?