404 and ATL signage and logos

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
alright, I have to jump in with another thread hijack here...but Helen, Ga.???? WTH. I probably haven't been there in 40 or 50 years or so but how does this town make THIS list?????? I remember it as some sort of cheesy Alpine/Swiss tourist trap village. Or am I confusing it with somewhere else?
I was also surprised to see Helen on the list. But if you think about it, the same reasons that make it a tourist destination also could be the reason its #1 on the list for property crime.

EddieK

Jolly Good Fellow
I was also surprised to see Helen on the list. But if you think about it, the same reasons that make it a tourist destination also could be the reason its #1 on the list for property crime.
That might be a reason, but it's also a misnomer that rural areas have less localized crime. My dad has property in the sticks of Ball Ground, GA and the place has been broken into multiple times. His house in metro ATL and mine in Smyrna, we've never had any property crime.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Most Violent College Campuses (2022)

1. New Mexico
2. Michigan State
3. Utah
4. Cal-Berkley
5. Stanford
6. UCLA
7. Portland State
8. Iowa
9. Penn State
10. Texas A&M
11. THE Ohio State University
12. Kentucky
13. Harvard
14. Houston
15. Arizona State
16. Maryland
17. LSU
18. Rutgers
19. FSU
20. SDSU
21. Indiana
22. Duke
23. Yale
24. Nebraska
25. UCONN

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Some of these cities only had two or three homicides. Atlanta has had 156 so far this year. Oranges to apples. Cherry picking statistics.
This is the kind of ignorance that leaves me shaking my head. Don't get sucked in by the media hype. Chicago is one of the safest cities in the US for people to visit and to live in, depending on where they live. There are 2 3-block neighborhoods that are extremely dangerous. They are far from where most people visiting Chicago would ever go. To say Chicago is a dangerous city is laughable. It is a city, so there's crime, but it's not a dangerous city. 2.697 million people in Chicago; 8.901 in Chicagoland.

The 10 most dangerous cities in Georgia for 2021 Link

1. College Park (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
2. Americus
3. Albany
4. Forest Park (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
5. Warner Robins
6. Douglasville (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
7. Morrow (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
8. Bainbridge
9. Waynesboro
10. Clarkson (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)

Here's the 2022 Update Link

1. College Park
2. Albany
3. Morrow
4. Americus
5. Forest Park
6. Douglasville
7. Bainbridge
8. Warner Robins
9. Clarkson
10. Waynesboro

Another reference Link

Top 18
  1. East Point (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
  2. College Park (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
  3. Helen
  4. Union City (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
  5. Hapeville (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
  6. Quitman
  7. Tifton
  8. Eastman
  9. Baxley
  10. Albany
  11. Griffin
  12. Rockmart
  13. Alma
  14. West Point
  15. Remerton
  16. Douglasville (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
  17. Brunswick
  18. Forest Park (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Violent Crime against women:

1. IUPUI (Indianapolis, IN)
2. THE Ohio State University
3. Texas A&M
4. Nebraska
5. UNC
6. Harvard
7. Reed College (Portland, OR)
8. UCONN
9. Bryan College (Dayton, TN)
10. Penn State
11. Georgetown
12. Wesleyan
13. UNH
14. Rutgers
15. Boston University
16. Murray State
17. Ohio University
18. Stanford
19. Cornerstone University (Grand Rapids, MI)
20. Davenport (Grand Rapids, MI)
21.Washington University in St. Louis
22. Fontbonne University
23. Glenville State (West Virginia)
24. Norther Arizona
25. Snow College (Utah)

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
This is the kind of ignorance that leaves me shaking my head. Don't get sucked in by the media hype. Chicago is one of the safest cities in the US for people to visit and to live in, depending on where they live. There are 2 3-block neighborhoods that are extremely dangerous. They are far from where most people visiting Chicago would ever go. To say Chicago is a dangerous city is laughable. It is a city, so there's crime, but it's not a dangerous city. 2.697 million people in Chicago; 8.901 in Chicagoland.

The 10 most dangerous cities in Georgia for 2021 Link

1. College Park (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
2. Americus
3. Albany
4. Forest Park (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
5. Warner Robins
6. Douglasville (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
7. Morrow (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
8. Bainbridge
9. Waynesboro
10. Clarkson (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)

Here's the 2022 Update Link

1. College Park
2. Albany
3. Morrow
4. Americus
5. Forest Park
6. Douglasville
7. Bainbridge
8. Warner Robins
9. Clarkson
10. Waynesboro

Another reference Link

Top 18
  1. East Point (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
  2. College Park (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
  3. Helen
  4. Union City (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
  5. Hapeville (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
  6. Quitman
  7. Tifton
  8. Eastman
  9. Baxley
  10. Albany
  11. Griffin
  12. Rockmart
  13. Alma
  14. West Point
  15. Remerton
  16. Douglasville (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
  17. Brunswick
  18. Forest Park (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)

I think you forgot Buckhead and Atlantic Station, or do Tech students not go there either. The Tech Alum Atlanta Mayor seemed pretty intent on trying to solve Atlanta’s recent crime increase during his press conference last night. 😐

slugboy

Staff member
alright, I have to jump in with another thread hijack here...but Helen, Ga.???? WTH. I probably haven't been there in 40 or 50 years or so but how does this town make THIS list?????? I remember it as some sort of cheesy Alpine/Swiss tourist trap village. Or am I confusing it with somewhere else?
Their beer prices are criminal.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
This took a weird turn, but it’s worth remembering that outliers make the news much more than non-outliers because of the surprise factor.

Putting my old man hat on, though, on topic, parents being irrational about safety based on high profile well covered incidents instead of the bigger picture is nothing new. [Insert nostalgia about being able to ride your bike around unsupervised instead of having a bunch of extracurriculars taking up all your time with your parents micromanaging things here.]

So if that happens, just find out how to leverage it to make it seem cooler to the kids themselves! Are you badass enough to play football at GT? 😉

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. I suspect you are saying this because our attendance did not rise dramatically after a big season, like after our national championship year. That's true, and imho completely understandable. Most folks understand that GT has not won CONSISTENTLY since the 1950's. So, perhaps that phrase would be more acceptable to you if it said "Win consistently and they will come". I completely believe that if GT could have a 6 year run of high level success (say averaging 10 wins) that our fanbase would expand. But one year (or even 2) won't do it.
Yes I agree with the premise if it is “win consistently.” Even then, however, it’s not a good plan to just rely on that alone. Marketing a sports program is about making people who aren’t already fans who know the schedule and buy tickets and merchandise that there’s something cool going on and merchandise to buy. If you’re wildly successful you can do less marketing but you still want to communicate with the fans and prospective fans and recruits. And whether we are consistently winning or not there’s lots of competition for the discretionary dollars of the population in Atlanta so there’s always reason to make people aware.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
404 and ATL are smart branding for GT, we’re right in the heart of it and we need to claim this city and own it as far as CFB goes. When we start winning again it will payoff for us. Did Geoff overdo it a little with the field and uni’s? Yes he did.

GTJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I think you forgot Buckhead and Atlantic Station, or do Tech students not go there either. The Tech Alum Atlanta Mayor seemed pretty intent on trying to solve Atlanta’s recent crime increase during his press conference last night. 😐
Buckhead and Atlantic Station aren't cities. Have to assume anyone who thinks the area of Atlanta around GT is 'dangerous' hasn't been to Atlanta in a decade and watches too much cable news.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
The above are what drives the narative that ATL is not safe. One can debate the validity, but that does not change the perception.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Brother if you’re scared of Atlanta that’s fine. But don’t pretend like the vast majority of those crimes are anywhere near where an average GT student would go. Anything outside of Midtown, Atlantic Station, Buckhead, Congress Center/Centennial Park, and Piedmont is basically irrelevant to GT. I count 24 murders in those areas over the last 2 years, and I’d be willing to be most of them were targeted, and if they weren’t targeted happened sometime between midnight and 5am. It’s really not something a GT student would be worried about. Athens-Clarke County had 10 murders between 2020 and 2021, with 1/5 the population of Atlanta, and waayyyy fewer out of town tourists.

I don’t think you’re going to make much headway trying to convince folks on here that Atlanta, and specifically the area around Georgia Tech and where GT students venture to is dangerous. Most of us went to school at GT, and the ones that didn’t probably frequently visit the campus. If people thought it was dangerous it would be a way more prevalent topic.

If you really want to support GT, you could dispute folks who try to pass it off as a dangerous location to send their kids, and encourage them to visit the campus to see for themselves. I’d imagine there’s no safer feeling place in all of Atlanta than in the middle of Tech Green. Instead of trying to convince of us the dangers of ATL, convince others that the stereotypes surrounding GT and Midtown as totally false.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
It's not about the folks on here. It's about the general public. I'm not scared. Never said I was. I never liked the ATL/404. I believe the primary brand for GT is GT. You are adding to what I'm saying. I don't believe that the "crime" reputaion of Atlanta helps our recruiting. If you think that there's more pros than cons to Atlanta that's Ok. I just don't agree. I'm not your brother.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
If you aren’t scared, and think perception is a potential problem for GT more than reality is, why are you trying to convince us that the perception is reality with all your links?

You aren’t saying “I think Atlanta has a negative crime perception that could be a marketing negative.” You’re saying stuff like “Buckhead is not safe today. It's not Chicago, but it's close.” and “Better not wander too far off [campus].” That isn’t other people’s perception, it’s your own.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
If you aren’t scared, and think perception is a potential problem for GT more than reality is, why are you trying to convince us that the perception is reality with all your links?

You aren’t saying “I think Atlanta has a negative crime perception that could be a marketing negative.” You’re saying stuff like “Buckhead is not safe today. It's not Chicago, but it's close.” and “Better not wander too far off [campus].” That isn’t other people’s perception, it’s your own.
“I think Atlanta has a negative crime perception that could be a marketing negative.” This is exactly what I'm trying to say. I posted the news links to point out the why.