404 and ATL signage and logos

slugboy

Staff member
i’m not debating whether our offense was good or bad or better than the option. i’m just saying whenever someone brings up the argument about the option getting negative recruited against, the response is always “who cares what people think?”

why is this any different? if you truly don’t care what other people think of the program then that should apply to all things

I don’t care what other people think when they’re dead wrong. Also, everyone gets negative recruited against—that’s part of recruiting.

Have a good plan and a good philosophy. Accomplish good things. Prove the other guy wrong. Play better football than them.

Branding is about putting your stamp on things, and it should fit in with your philosophy. The 404 and ATL material was about claiming an area. Key’s philosophy is obviously different. He’ll have different branding that fits the mindset of his team. If someone says “short sleeve hoodies are old man clothing”, then the same kind of answer applies—“I rock this hoodie and I’ll keep wearing it”.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
This is not Egypt where we remove all traces of the previous pharaoh.
I don't know, these last few years have been a bit of a slog through some barren lands. Cashing pharaoh xcgc off the landscape might have some psychological cleansing to it.

true detective desert GIF

JacketFan137

Banned
I don’t care what other people think when they’re dead wrong. Also, everyone gets negative recruited against—that’s part of recruiting.

Have a good plan and a good philosophy. Accomplish good things. Prove the other guy wrong. Play better football than them.

Branding is about putting your stamp on things, and it should fit in with your philosophy. The 404 and ATL material was about claiming an area. Key’s philosophy is obviously different. He’ll have different branding that fits the mindset of his team. If someone says “short sleeve hoodies are old man clothing”, then the same kind of answer applies—“I rock this hoodie and I’ll keep wearing it”.
lol i don’t even know why you are arguing this i agree

i’m just saying we can’t act like we don’t care what people think then at that other teams make fun of us for the 404 stuff.

i’m sorry you took it as a slight against your offense

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
we shouldn’t care what people think about our program. at least that’s what was said when discussing the offense we run and how that can impact negative recruiting from outside sources. why is it any different with the branding of the school?
Point taken. Still, I think we already have sufficient symbols that we don't need the 404/ATL stuff. Besides, if we want to do well recruiting, we have to recruit nationwide. Restricting ourselves by "branding" like TFFG did was always a mistake. Or, at least, I thought so.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Payne Stewart took a rain jacket and cut the sleeves off in a US Open in Pinehurst. It started a new style of sleeveless rain gear. I bought one made by FJ.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well, now I’m going to have to think about it.

I originally liked that CGC wanted Tech to claim the Atlanta metro area. It made me nostalgic for the time when Tech owned Atlanta. It seemed like a real selling point for recruits.

But after reading what several of you have said so eloquently, 404 and ATL are both tainted brands now. If people are using these to make fun of Tech and negativity recruit against us then the problem is whether or not we can ever redeem or reclaim the brand. For years people claimed that various things about Paul Johnson and his offense were killing us in recruiting. The argument was that it doesn’t matter what’s true, it only matters what the perception is.

In our political/social media age once you are branded a loser there seems to be no coming back.

Sigh.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, now I’m going to have to think about it.

I originally liked that CGC wanted Tech to claim the Atlanta metro area. It made me nostalgic for the time when Tech owned Atlanta. It seemed like a real selling point for recruits.

But after reading what several of you have said so eloquently, 404 and ATL are both tainted brands now. If people are using these to make fun of Tech and negativity recruit against us then the problem is whether or not we can ever redeem or reclaim the brand. For years people claimed that various things about Paul Johnson and his offense were killing us in recruiting. The argument was that it doesn’t matter what’s true, it only matters what the perception is.

In our political/social media age once you are branded a loser there seems to be no coming back.

Sigh.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
even if not intentional, I think this is all the ATL stuff did. I think it got a certain portion of the fanbase nostalgic.

In my (probably bad) opinion, if Atlanta was actually a positive selling point, we’d have a better basketball team.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Here’s my take. Key can use Atlanta as a selling point to recruits, and maybe a little bit of ATL here and there. But the main thing we should brand, is ourselves. Georgia Tech. Use our storied history as a selling point. One thing I hated about Collins is that he thought thay Calvin was our only great player. He was on all of the promo signage for recruiting. You can put so many other legends that have played here on graphics. Kids these days remember Bay Bay, Morgan Burnett, Darren Waller, even the thicc punter PHIII. Also, use academics as a selling point, you can say that GT isn’t a 4 year opportunity, it’s a lifetime opportunity and a GT degree can help people long beyond their playing days. Most importantly, Tech isn’t what it was in Atlanta. Sure, we’re still the only big program here, but Atlanta isn’t a small town, it’s a melting pot of tons of people from different fanbases. GT doesn’t run Atlanta, we may have been the only game in town before the Falcons existed, but we never ran the city. Instead of using 404 culture as the main point, use the Georgia Tech community itself. Tech fans are always having to put up with being the little bro of the state. Our alums (like my dad) worked hard for their degree and dedicate time, energy, and their sanity (especially during the Collins era) to love the jackets. I’m not even an alum, I’m a high school student sidewalk fan but regardless of what college I attend in the future I BLEED gold. You see a fan repping the GT out in the world, you give em a “go jackets!” This isn’t a fanbase it’s a brotherhood, it’s a community. Promote THAT. this isn’t 404, this isn’t Waffle House, this isn’t the Dirty South, this is Georgia Tech. We are Warriors on the field and off. We’re not UGA or bama or one of the big boys, but we don’t have to be in order to achieve success. We’re gritty, scrappy, intelligent, footballing SOB’s.

Sell THAT to recruits.

JacketFan137

Banned
One thing I hated about Collins is that he thought thay Calvin was our only great player. He was on all of the promo signage for recruiting. You can put so many other legends that have played here on graphics. Kids these days remember Bay Bay, Morgan Burnett, Darren Waller, even the thicc punter PHIII. Also, use academics as a selling point, you can say that GT isn’t a 4 year opportunity, it’s a lifetime opportunity and a GT degree can help people long beyond their playing days.
the first part just flat out isn’t true and the second part was something collins did emphasize. very early on he mentioned something about how we actually gave players an opportunity to get a “meaningful” degree. it was enough to piss off the dogs at least lol

the calvin johnson thing was only really big for the 21 recruiting class cause he wore 21 and collins tried to (unsuccessfully) play into that. he made mention of the other guys and if anything i feel like by nature of the increased social media presence we did see more love for the other pro jackets than i ever did before

Instead of using 404 culture as the main point, use the Georgia Tech community itself. Tech fans are always having to put up with being the little bro of the state. Our alums (like my dad) worked hard for their degree and dedicate time, energy, and their sanity (especially during the Collins era) to love the jackets. I’m not even an alum, I’m a high school student sidewalk fan but regardless of what college I attend in the future I BLEED gold. You see a fan repping the GT out in the world, you give em a “go jackets!” This isn’t a fanbase it’s a brotherhood, it’s a community. Promote THAT. this isn’t 404, this isn’t Waffle House, this isn’t the Dirty South, this is Georgia Tech. We are Warriors on the field and off. We’re not UGA or bama or one of the big boys, but we don’t have to be in order to achieve success. We’re gritty, scrappy, intelligent, footballing SOB’s.

Sell THAT to recruits.
i think your heart is in the right place here but it’s very difficult to sell that we have a “georgia tech community” when we only fill our stadium with the opposing teams fans and can’t even get close to filling it up after firing collins. we have a very loyal fanbase but it’s so small i don’t know how you sell that in any way to kids with aspirations of playing in big time sec esque environments. schools like south carolina who aren’t even much better than us the last 20 years have no problem filling their stadium and we can’t

for the most part kids will want to get to a place that they can get playing time, can get them to the nfl, play under good coaches and have NIL opportunities. a nice degree is a plus for sure but i think many kids are too foolishly lead into believing they are nfl bound to care about that.

our recruiting future is almost entirely determined by who we hire as OC and how much money we generate for the NIL fund and from there how much we win/play football in a style kids want to be a part of.