404 and ATL signage and logos

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of stuff going away, I assume TStan’s book of GT sports memories was never published? It was a fundraiser - so I guess they returned the money?
I assume that it will still be published. I don't have any inside information, but I don't think it was a TStan specific project. There are companies that do those kinds of things. They just need licensing for images/trademarks and a list of members. Then they develop the book, sell it, and give some amount or percentage to the organization. I doubt they would start without the licenses, and they definitely won't stop because someone leaves the organization if there is money to be made.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Do we need to start a law school on campus? Seven year contracts with no pay offset if removed and then getting another job. That's just dumb. Of course he could go work for Rhule for $1 a year and live off GT money. This whole coaching contract thing has gone completely crazy.
Start a med school too and get some lawyer and doctor donor money as a bonus...

gorcone

Georgia Tech Fan
My first thought was to burn it but we paid a lot of $$$ for his elite branding so we should keep anything that actually worked. I don’t ever want to hear “money down” again though..so help me…
Amen to that!

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
well, considering that 404 and Atlanta are very loosely tied now thanks to wireless taking over wireline business and you can get any mobile number area code pretty much anywhere (move with you) I think 404 just shows the ages of some of us, including Collins. Many young recruits are probably saying what the heck you talking about, this 404 jazz?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Need to remove all 404 and ATL signs and logos from the scoreboards, the football field, and the football helmets and uniforms. As well as any that are still existing on the entire campus.
Just going to have to disagree. This is not Egypt where we remove all traces of the previous pharaoh.
Now, granted anything with his face or name should be removed off of any signage, etc. Thing should be left. Is the astric next to his name in the history books pointing out that he had the worst overall winning percentage of any coach with three or more seasons.

Last edited:

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope that gets published. I gave some fun stories for it
They were supposedly going to send contributors a transcript of their comments to review - I never heard back, did you?
They probably got memories, with rants about the current situation sprinkled in. It would sell better now that most fans are in a better mood. A lot changed since September 19.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don't have a problem with ATL. Even the Falcons have gone to that. I never really liked the 404 thing . Never would have bought 404 gear. Some other sideline gimmicks were bordering on strange. Lifting weights, wearing capes, juice crew, money down were odd to me. Let's get back to Buzz and the wreck.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
They were supposedly going to send contributors a transcript of their comments to review - I never heard back, did you?
They probably got memories, with rants about the current situation sprinkled in. It would sell better now that most fans are in a better mood. A lot changed since September 19.
I think I got a transcript, but I never reviewed it. Work turned up to 1000 and hasn't slowed down.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Has that been confirmed? I’ve seen it rumored but nothing official, granted I don’t really follow Nebraska football.

Just a rumor. His Wikipedia page had been updated to show him as Nebraska Co-DC as of 2023 - which I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a troll.

(But still - if anyone would want to be the first to update their own Wikipedia page upon getting a new job, pretty sure it would be TFG.)

JacketFan137

Banned
I'm inclined to wash the stable clean on this score. I don't think we quite get how 404 and ATL became objects of fun for other fans. I can see rival recruiters using the "brands" against us, mocking the entire program.

So … get a new set of symbols or simply go back to what we already have: Buzz and the Wreck and the Whistle. They worked before, they can work again.
we shouldn’t care what people think about our program. at least that’s what was said when discussing the offense we run and how that can impact negative recruiting from outside sources. why is it any different with the branding of the school?

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
The brand is The Georgia Institute of Technology.

Which is ironic given that we’ve all seen the alarmingly high percentage of recruits and even commits that don’t get “The Georgia Institute of Technology” correct … er, “the university institution of georgia technology” 😉

jepherson

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't think we quite get how 404 and ATL became objects of fun for other fans. I can see rival recruiters using the "brands" against us, mocking the entire program.

…that’s on the program, not the branding. Improve the program, and we’ll grow into the branding. It’s gotta be both working together, not just one or the other.

slugboy

Staff member
we shouldn’t care what people think about our program. at least that’s what was said when discussing the offense we run and how that can impact negative recruiting from outside sources. why is it any different with the branding of the school?
  1. Our offense got made fun of this year by opponents because it was one of the lowest scoring and least efficient offenses in FBS. Ditto the previous seasons
  2. Our previous offense was one of the best in all of football. Opponents talked smack about it, but they lost to it. They also made rule changes because they couldn’t stop it
  3. So, if you’re choosing between something that you lose with vs something your opponents talk smack about but lose to, pick the latter every time.
  4. In Johnson’s last year, when he decided he was through, his offense was ranked 18th. And that was considered underperformance from them. If my trade off for some negative recruiting is a top 20 offense, sign me up.
  5. Would we have gone to a good bowl this year with the 18th ranked offense and our defense this year? We’d be playing Clemson for the ACC and I’d have liked our odds.
  6. How is that hard to figure out?

JacketFan137

Banned
  1. Our offense got made fun of this year by opponents because it was one of the lowest scoring and least efficient offenses in FBS. Ditto the previous seasons
  2. Our previous offense was one of the best in all of football. Opponents talked smack about it, but they lost to it. They also made rule changes because they couldn’t stop it
  3. So, if you’re choosing between something that you lose with vs something your opponents talk smack about but lose to, pick the latter every time.
  4. In Johnson’s last year, when he decided he was through, his offense was ranked 18th. And that was considered underperformance from them. If my trade off for some negative recruiting is a top 20 offense, sign me up.
  5. Would we have gone to a good bowl this year with the 18th ranked offense and our defense this year? We’d be playing Clemson for the ACC and I’d have liked our odds.
  6. How is that hard to figure out?
i’m not debating whether our offense was good or bad or better than the option. i’m just saying whenever someone brings up the argument about the option getting negative recruited against, the response is always “who cares what people think?”

why is this any different? if you truly don’t care what other people think of the program then that should apply to all things

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
You can say "who cares what people think" for an offense since there's a scoreboard - branding and marketing, on the other hand, is qualitative and much more subjective. If it's not winning people over, it's not doing its job.

Personally, though, I'm in the camp that I like the ATL branding. I don't think it was irredeemably tarnished by Collins, though of course anything Collins-adjacent was going to be made fun of by other fans since Collins performed so poorly.

JacketFan137

Banned
You can say "who cares what people think" for an offense since there's a scoreboard - branding and marketing, on the other hand, is qualitative and much more subjective. If it's not winning people over, it's not doing its job.

Personally, though, I'm in the camp that I like the ATL branding. I don't think it was irredeemably tarnished by Collins, though of course anything Collins-adjacent was going to be made fun of by other fans since Collins performed so poorly.
that is a good point but i don’t think the 404 branding was really that bad and i doubt that we will be getting a lot of grief about it now that collins is no longer the guy pushing it