2024 Season

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm a total homer ... some would say sucker; but I feel better about things now compared to a week ago. I hope the sting (excuse the pun) of the brutal loss to UGA means a few of things.

1) I overreacted & it was a one-off for this team. Related... I probably take for granted how helpful it is this group has significant experience playing D1 baseball.
2) Matt Taylor IS new to us. He's not burdened by our baggage & literally still sorting out how to manage this pitching staff.
3) Current lineup seems to be good defensively. Let's keep it that way.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
What I like is the young arms that we have. Guys like McKee, Ballard, Kovala, Gaudette & Stanford just for starters. In the past when guys like King and Busse went down we were toast. With these young guys we have so much more depth. Then add in veterans like Jones, Patel and Thomas who are new to the mix. Who knows what can happen down the road. I will say it is nice to read this board without all the doom and gloom that came out after the UGA series.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
What I like is the young arms that we have. Guys like McKee, Ballard, Kovala, Gaudette & Stanford just for starters. In the past when guys like King and Busse went down we were toast. With these young guys we have so much more depth. Then add in veterans like Jones, Patel and Thomas who are new to the mix. Who knows what can happen down the road. I will say it is nice to read this board without all the doom and gloom that came out after the UGA series.
I also really like thw way Barfield has thrown so far. I wasn't expecting much from him this year, but he looks like a solid option.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
We didn’t get a vote in the Coaches Poll last week, think it would be safe to say that will change today. Not sure we’ll vault into the Top 25 but guessing we’ll be in that 25-30 range.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting where our stats are so far this year in ACC for all games played.
  • 6th in pitching ERA, 5th in opp BA, 4th HBP, 9th in BB.
  • 7th in BA, 4th in slugging, 1st in OB %, 3rd in # stolen bases.
  • 4th in fielding %.
Very balanced. Defense can really make the difference for ERA and wins. Hard not to be optimistic Charlie Brown.

1710769845208.png

1710770105611.png

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
The baseball gods giveth and the baseball gods taketh away…..

Let’s see where we are in another 3 weeks.
I’d say around the end of April, before our team finishes up against Clemson, Auburn, Duke and Florida State in the month of May before ACC Tournament Pool Play begins.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I agree with @GTRambler as it could take longer. We could lose the series in Chapel Hill, sweep BC, and win the series at Pitt, and still not know which Charlie Brown to be.
Ah...thanks. I agree, now that you point out the schedule. Yes, let's see what the team looks like at the end of April....

Having said that, I'll be shocked if we sweep BC (remember, we couldn't sweep Cornell), and Pitt usually gives us fits up there....so if we preform as you indicate, I think that would exceed my expectations.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ah...thanks. I agree, now that you point out the schedule. Yes, let's see what the team looks like at the end of April....

Having said that, I'll be shocked if we sweep BC (remember, we couldn't sweep Cornell), and Pitt usually gives us fits up there....so if we preform as you indicate, I think that would exceed my expectations.

Prepare to be shocked, both bad and good, for the rest of the season. We already have been shocked both ways and are about 1/3 (19/60) done.

I want us to be relevant for a change and think we may be.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Prepare to be shocked, both bad and good, for the rest of the season. We already have been shocked both ways and are about 1/3 (19/60) done.

I want us to be relevant for a change and think we may be.
I hope you’re right! I simply want to wait … so I can believe it when I see it. Or not.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck