2024 offseason

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We have 8 for sure. And maybe 2 more. We'll see.
Agree we have 8.

This year I’m acutely interested in how our substitutions work out. Our starting five can give a credible account of themselves against anybody, in my opinion, but, as we all know, that’s not how you win in college basketball today. Hence, I wonder if we are 1 or 2 players short or if we have just enough to make a serious run.

I think we get to see just how good a coach CDS is this year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Agree we have 8.

This year I’m acutely interested in how our substitutions work out. Our starting five can give a credible account of themselves against anybody, in my opinion, but, as we all know, that’s not how you win in college basketball today. Hence, I wonder if we are 1 or 2 players short or if we have just enough to make a serious run.

I think we get to see just how good a coach CDS is this year.

CDS said his freshmen can all play. How much and how well is the key. I expect DO and Sutton to get good looks if they are close to ready. If Mutombo can give us 5-8 minutes of decent play on defense, he will be worth the roster spot. I don't know if that's a realistic expectation. Maybe it will be 10 minutes one game then zero in others.

We have 3 buy games to start the season. Hopefully we will get a good look at players 9-12.

Also, do not expect to see Mustaf look like a seasoned starter in game one.

CDS said Thompson is a walk-on, so we have 12 scholarship players.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
CDS said his freshmen can all play. How much and how well is the key. I expect DO and Sutton to get good looks if they are close to ready. If Mutombo can give us 5-8 minutes of decent play on defense, he will be worth the roster spot. I don't know if that's a realistic expectation. Maybe it will be 10 minutes one game then zero in others.

We have 3 buy games to start the season. Hopefully we will get a good look at players 9-12.

Also, do not expect to see Mustaf look like a seasoned starter in game one.

CDS said Thompson is a walk-on, so we have 12 scholarship players.
Surprisingly, I see Mutombo as being critical. It’s why I asked if we have 9 who can play. If he gives us eight or so minutes on average a game we could be in great shape. If it’s more like two minutes I think we have to find one player for the rotation.

yjfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Mutombo / DO will be in game decisons - do we need offense/defense ? Size ?
I think Mutombo with experience will be higher in the start of the season, but Damon has shown he will play freshman.
Either way im more excited about this team then any since JA/Moses/ Usher, Devoe

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I would be surprised if either Mutombo or DO averages more than 3-4 minutes a game. We have much better players on the roster.
I agree about Mutombo but nobody knows how DO stacks up against D1 competition. If he’s a 3 point threat like players have been hyping him up, he’s gonna get some playing time. If we don’t play either of them, we are going to be a small team again.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We have all seen George, Ndongo, Reeves, and Terry play and contribute. McCollum, O'Brien, Powell and to a lesser extent Mutombo have college playing experience. Souare and the three true freshman college gamesmanship is more unknown. I think we have seven expected contributors and five with potential that I am excited to see develop.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Eight players is enough to run a rotation if we need to. Most teams operate on about a seven or eight man rotation. Very few operate on ten or more

We are going to go 6 feet eight and 6 feet nine at the foreign five spot. In today’s game that’s not a small team

We should be top half of the ACC at the one two and three spot rotation. Our question mark is at the four and the back up five. I am hoping OBrien can handle the four and the freshman develops as a back up five.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Stoudamire has already said that he intends to play Onwuchekwa and all of the Freshmen. So unless they struggle, I expect to see them in the rotation. Coaches that don't play well regarded Freshmen right away usually lose them to the portal.

One thing that I am watching is that our best 5 on offense does not seem to me to resemble the best 5 on defense. Those wings that can stretch defenses on offense are not known to be grinders on defense.

We'll see, but I expect to see a lot of mixing and matching in the pre-season slate. For instance, I think we will see a deep rotation at the 3 and 4 positions into December. Then the players will, by their productivity and complimentary play, determine who stays and who doesn't stay in the rotation.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
KenPom's opinion to two decimal places. Why do we fans respect this guy so much?

Our preseason rating is very generous IMO. He’s got us around where we finished the ‘19-20 season - if our team plays that well this year, I think most of us would consider this season a success. Anyway, his ratings are pretty good - outside of UConn in 2014, you can put a pretty tight filter on his end-of-season ratings and determine a small set of teams that have a chance of winning the national championship with a good degree of certainty.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Our preseason rating is very generous IMO. He’s got us around where we finished the ‘19-20 season - if our team plays that well this year, I think most of us would consider this season a success. Anyway, his ratings are pretty good - outside of UConn in 2014, you can put a pretty tight filter on his end-of-season ratings and determine a small set of teams that have a chance of winning the national championship with a good degree of certainty.
I think his mid-season ratings are beginning to look pretty good most years. But a preseason rating in a computer model is nothing more than his guess. I don't have an issue with him posting that guess, but it's silly to express that to two decimal places. It leaves an inaccurate impression that its foundation is in mathematics.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would be surprised if either Mutombo or DO averages more than 3-4 minutes a game. We have much better players on the roster.
DS has said that Doryan has a chance to be special. He didn't even say that about Baye last year.

Don't be surprised at all to see him as a day 1 starter logging big minutes (20+). DO and The Shagman are going to be a hellva rotation for us.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
It leaves an inaccurate impression that its foundation is in mathematics.
That tactic is rampant throughout society. Take subjective information, stick number values on it, subject the numbers to statistical analyses, display the output in graphs and tables aaaaannnddd ... VIOLA! Science!

Yeah, no.

Sadly. most people just can't tell the difference.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
DS has said that Doryan has a chance to be special. He didn't even say that about Baye last year.

Don't be surprised at all to see him as a day 1 starter logging big minutes (20+). DO and The Shagman are going to be a hellva rotation for us.
I hope you are correct. I will take a minor exception to you post. CDS did indeed heap high praise on Baye prior to last season.