2024 non-GT games thread

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
As will Wake Forest, because they’d rather play a Sun Belt schedule than a real one. It’s why I’m so glad GT doesn’t back down with our OOC scheduling. Winning 8 games with 4 OOC patsies is not impressive. It’s what Wake has done for years, and it’s why nobody respects them as a serious program
It's also what at least half the ACC does.

Interesting that the schools that have an OOC rivalry game with an SEC team at the end of the season tend to also have better programs overall, but not always the best records.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

This is Charmin soft out of Wake Forest IMO. This is just outright admitting you don’t think you can compete at the highest level.

There could be some legit reasons to cancel it. Maybe they have another series brewing that they feel is more beneficial to them?

But the timing of the decision, hours after taking that butt whipping, is not a good look. At all.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I’m embarrassed we gave up 21 to FSU, though they look like they have really regressed in 3 weeks. Plays they made against us looked crisp vs since then they are making mistakes all over the field. FSU star players maybe better off opting out now for NFL draft cause I think they are only hurting there stock going forward.
I agree with you, FSU was not the same team we played in Ireland when I watched them against BC, at least IMO. They looked like they had quit from the beginning of the BC game. I came away from that game feeling like the FSU players felt like it was hopeless with DJ Ugly at the helm. Knowing how they seem to be made as a fan base/school I wonder if their coach makes it past this season when I hear you guys saying recruits are decommiting.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
There could be some legit reasons to cancel it. Maybe they have another series brewing that they feel is more beneficial to them?

But the timing of the decision, hours after taking that butt whipping, is not a good look. At all.
Is this a mindset that indicates schools in the ACC are headed towards a downgraded future type of CFB, maybe schools like Wake, UVA, Duke, possibly BC? I don't know just ask the question. I could see them playing a lesser type CFB and being in a conference like the B.E. that expands their FB in the lower class and plays top notch BB. It makes sense to me. Do they want to try and get into major CFB and have to put out 22 mil for players annually just for beginners in addition to all the other cost with a TV income way behind their competition? I don't know but have always thought some schools are going to say no.

Maybe this move by Wake is the first public showing of what a lot of schools are up against, don't know just speculation on my part.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

The math is tough here. They pay $1m to buy out Ole Miss. Even if they replace @Ole Miss with a home game and sell 100% capacity at $50/head, that's $1.6m - don't see them profiting after paying whatever G5 they bring in for a one-off.

That said, they are a private school so I don't think their financials are public, but the football stadium and basketball arena are both ancient so I suspect they aren't in much debt. Their basketball team (at minimum; don't think he's a huge football guy) also has Mit Shah as one of the biggest boosters in the ACC.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The math is tough here. They pay $1m to buy out Ole Miss. Even if they replace @Ole Miss with a home game and sell 100% capacity at $50/head, that's $1.6m - don't see them profiting after paying whatever G5 they bring in for a one-off.

That said, they are a private school so I don't think their financials are public, but the football stadium and basketball arena are both ancient so I suspect they aren't in much debt. Their basketball team (at minimum; don't think he's a huge football guy) also has Mit Shah as one of the biggest boosters in the ACC.
Maybe the AD thinks winning enough games to make a Bowl is more valuable than getting thrashed in Oxford. Ole Miss under Kiffen has been very good. They beat our butts both games we played them. Then they paid for some of our better players. They could do the same to Wakes best players. hat is the benefit for Wake going to Ole Miss next year?

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the AD thinks winning enough games to make a Bowl is more valuable than getting thrashed in Oxford. Ole Miss under Kiffen has been very good. They beat our butts both games we played them. Then they paid for some of our better players. They could do the same to Wakes best players. hat is the benefit for Wake going to Ole Miss next year?
Kinda good point. Why play them and let Kiffin directly scout the players he might want to poach from you? Make him have to work hard to be a d*ckbag.(Not that he isn’t willing to put in the extra effort to be a class ‘A’ d*ckbag…)

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
All throughout the history of CFB teams have made the decision to downgrade the football program. Suwanee was once part of the SECheat. We played St. Mary’s in a bowl once. Yale, Princeton, and Harvard were once the pinnacle of CFB. At various points, changes have occurred in CFB that have placed programs at a fork in the road to decide to discontinue or play at a lower level. Those changes still occur and are ongoing. It is highly possible that GT will, at some point, decide to play at a lower level. IMPO, we need to expect this at some point.

slugboy

Staff member

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
USA Today on Billy Napier at UF—probably fired—buyout is paid for.

Not the first to post on the subject—just providing a source

Makes me wonder about FSU

I bet if one were to add up all the “dead money” in college sports, it would approach the GDP of some countries. Crazy business, this game.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
It’s between their ears now.

Anyone remember back when LAD’s Steve Sax couldn’t make a throw from 2nd to 1st, back in the early 90’s, I think?
It was the early 80's and he threw a few in the bleachers. What about Knoblauch? He hit Olberman's wife in the face.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
It's also what at least half the ACC does.

Interesting that the schools that have an OOC rivalry game with an SEC team at the end of the season tend to also have better programs overall, but not always the best records.
It's what every SEC team not named LSU has done for decades. Occasionally, another top SEC team will play a top team from another P4 conference, but usually not.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Well, now I feel like a heel. Olberman is an ....., his mother on the other hand, is a nice old, disappointed lady that has Keith for a son.

the amanda show nicksplat GIF