2024 Football Portal

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm a bit worried about lack of portal pickups for defense. We lost 5 good defensive players Kennard South Carolina, Johnson Utah, Douse Michigan State, Wallace UCLA, Kelly Missouri. All decent players who transferred to good programs. On offense we are good but on defense some new guys are going to have to step up.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm a bit worried about lack of portal pickups for defense. We lost 5 good defensive players Kennard South Carolina, Johnson Utah, Douse Michigan State, Wallace UCLA, Kelly Missouri. All decent players who transferred to good programs. On offense we are good but on defense some new guys are going to have to step up.
I agree. I am VERY worried about our D. The coaching change was the right move, I think, but it may take those guys another year to get some of their guys into the pipeline.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we’ll take one or two more DL’s but honestly I think we‘re a solid two deep at each position right now.

I think we’re OKAY with DL’s and won’t see a drop off - Zeek, Lockett, Scott, Penn-State Transfer

I think DE will be shockingly strong this year… We’re unlocking two absolute dogs with a healthy Sylvain (who apparently looks like King Kong right now), and Romello Height (double teamed often on tape and for good reasons). Kevin Harris could start producing as well.

From what I’ve understand, we’ve upgraded LB’s with Lightsey and Key is reportedly excited about the other transfer.

I don’t think we’ll be lights out Defense but almost certainly better than last year. One more sturdy inside DL to give Lockett and Biggers a break and we’re lookin alright

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I am VERY worried about our D. The coaching change was the right move, I think, but it may take those guys another year to get some of their guys into the pipeline.
We did bring in an edge guy in Romello Height, a DL kid in Jordan Van Den Berg, and two DBs in Zachary Tobe and Jayden Davis recently. Well I mean they are committed to come here and we got them all in this latest round of portal exits.

That is not to say I am unconcerned. I share at least some concern that we need some more guys and I hope there are some we are looking at and/or some guys we don’t expect to contribute who are just looking for that chance to bust out.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We did bring in an edge guy in Romello Height, a DL kid in Jordan Van Den Berg, and two DBs in Zachary Tobe and Jayden Davis recently. Well I mean they are committed to come here and we got them all in this latest round of portal exits.

That is not to say I am unconcerned. I share at least some concern that we need some more guys and I hope there are some we are looking at and/or some guys we don’t expect to contribute who are just looking for that chance to bust out.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I agree that without long term injury we are OK. Sylvain is a big issue as Robinson is the lone backup with experience at SDE and the N only has two players with little experience as well in Daniels and the Soph Gibbs. Shelley can play N in passing situations. We just shored up the safety position with Davis and Tobe and I believe we are OK with numbers at DT, Edge, CB, and LB. OK means we are expecting the transfers to help us and a few of the youger players to help among the group of Cruz, Franklin, Dowdell, Jones, Adams, Seymore, Butler, Moore, and some Frosh reporting in June such as Marshall, Bradford, LLOH, and Harpring.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we’ll take one or two more DL’s but honestly I think we‘re a solid two deep at each position right now.

I think we’re OKAY with DL’s and won’t see a drop off - Zeek, Lockett, Scott, Penn-State Transfer

I think DE will be shockingly strong this year… We’re unlocking two absolute dogs with a healthy Sylvain (who apparently looks like King Kong right now), and Romello Height (double teamed often on tape and for good reasons). Kevin Harris could start producing as well.

From what I’ve understand, we’ve upgraded LB’s with Lightsey and Key is reportedly excited about the other transfer.

I don’t think we’ll be lights out Defense but almost certainly better than last year. One more sturdy inside DL to give Lockett and Biggers a break and we’re lookin alright
I've also heard that Sylvain is looking really good. I'm super excited about Romello Height - he's a beast. The combination of Sylvain and Height could be really nasty. Given the production that Santucci got at dook, we should be in good shape with the talent we have.

I've also heard that Santucci likes the LB group a lot - Efford and Lightsey specifically. It's enough to get me excited about the possibilities of having a serviceable defense this year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I've also heard that Sylvain is looking really good. I'm super excited about Romello Height - he's a beast. The combination of Sylvain and Height could be really nasty. Given the production that Santucci got at dook, we should be in good shape with the talent we have.

I've also heard that Santucci likes the LB group a lot - Efford and Lightsey specifically. It's enough to get me excited about the possibilities of having a serviceable defense this year.
Serviceable would be a step up from the last decade or so....

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck

The 24/7 site has a list of transfers in, under 2024 commitments. Of the 13 transfers in, 10 are on D. 2 have already left. It's not terrible, but not good either. Probably going to rely on some freshmen (Boyd, Stevenson, Bradford?). Also wondering if Harpring doesn't get a shot at defense, he's listed as a TE but I thought he could play LB also.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck

Tatum deciding to stay is a positive, also. Efford got better as the year went on, and it feels like he's going to be able to shine with some good coaching.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Serviceable would be a step up from the last decade or so....

Sad Rabbit GIF by Muffin & Nuts

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Tatum deciding to stay is a positive, also. Efford got better as the year went on, and it feels like he's going to be able to shine with some good coaching.
At FSU Ireland
What if the portal uga lb steps up in run situation and our defense stops a FSU team that want to run it down our throat.
We have been way small at LB and without KWhite getting penetrative our lb give up yac.
LB play is key.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
At FSU Ireland
What if the portal uga lb steps up in run situation and our defense stops a FSU team that want to run it down our throat.
We have been way small at LB and without KWhite getting penetrative our lb give up yac.
LB play is key.
Yep, Efford is a stud.I hope Lightsey is better than Tatum who looked lost at times last yr.the Fr-- Butler appeared capable in Sprg game.Good LB play makes up for many ills.