2024 Football Portal

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Yep, Efford is a stud.I hope Lightsey is better than Tatum who looked lost at times last yr.the Fr-- Butler appeared capable in Sprg game.Good LB play makes up for many ills.
With good coaching which he will now get I'm guessing, Tatum may surprise this year. I see potential for LB to change from liability to a strength as I think has been indicated by others on here.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
26 tfl ? wow, that's more than probably our entire DL in last 3 yrs. Get the pot-of-gold ready .
Hah :ROFLMAO:

His stats last year are interesting. Very few tackles last year but 2 of them were sacks and he was credited with 2 forced fumbles. But my guiding light on transfers is if our coaches think he can play a positive role for the team then go for it.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Not sure where to put this but figure this is as good a place as any...The Athletic just published an interesting article about the Portal and NIL where they interviewed coaches, staff, players, and Collectives about the current state of things: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5484900/2024/05/13/college-football-transfer-portal-nil-deals/
Some key takeaways:

Tampering may be disallowed, but it's SOP for many schools. A coach said that the higher-level programs have crews of analysts who do nothing all day but evaluate other school's players - not just opponents, but everyone - looking for standout guys that might be enticed to transfer. Contact is made through various channels. It used to be more surreptitious, but now some coaches are reaching out directly. There are rules but no one is enforcing them. Some coaches are even approaching other team's players post-game. I've noticed we've made several interesting staffing additions recently - hmmm.

Now that NIL is out in the open and the NCAA has been enjoined from enforcement, the collectives see themselves as trying to inject some professional sanity into the chaos that is ongoing with recruiting/transfers, players' expectations, and inexperienced agents. We can only hope.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
SMH. What a flippin mess.
Once it got into the courts, it became an absolute catastrophe. Now even various states are passing legislation to give their state schools an advantage with NIL payouts. FSU and Clemson suing to get out of a contract they signed in good faith and it's all a money grab. At some point a decision needs to be made about what is the mission of universities. Is it to entertain alumni, drive TV viewership, and enrich athletic departments. Maybe these athletic departments just want to give their coaches and administrators more money, build new fancier facilities, add more staff, and increase funding of their non revenue sports. We seem to be moving toward college athletics where the SEC and B1G will dominate ALL competitions simply because they have a lot more money in their budgets and they can hire the best coaches and entice recruits with outrageous perks who care only about money and a path to the pros and could care less about a real education.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Once it got into the courts, it became an absolute catastrophe. Now even various states are passing legislation to give their state schools an advantage with NIL payouts. FSU and Clemson suing to get out of a contract they signed in good faith and it's all a money grab. At some point a decision needs to be made about what is the mission of universities. Is it to entertain alumni, drive TV viewership, and enrich athletic departments. Maybe these athletic departments just want to give their coaches and administrators more money, build new fancier facilities, add more staff, and increase funding of their non revenue sports. We seem to be moving toward college athletics where the SEC and B1G will dominate ALL competitions simply because they have a lot more money in their budgets and they can hire the best coaches and entice recruits with outrageous perks who care only about money and a path to the pros and could care less about a real education.
A real education? Might as well take the college out of "college sports". These are ambassadors to the school. The US of A is a service economy that has recently (last 10 years) become heavier towards an entertainment economy. Schools are going towards that as well. Everyone is an influencer, or entertainer. More people make money off their likeness/persona now than ever before. These young men are hired to play football and if they want an education that can get one. If not, oh well.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The colleges have already decided… they are all in, and It’s not unique to the athletic departments. The money grab is pervasive throughout, but the academic side gets some level of cover due to the moral / intellectual high ground they hold.

I think if there were truly a commitment to quality education, the examination needs to go a lot deeper than the athletic departments. Im not sure that many degree programs carry the weight they ought to for the tremendous costs incurred by the students (and states, possibly). Since there is little effort or incentive to control those costs, more and more degree programs will approach diminishing return….
But more offerings is more students is more money is more offerings is more students is more money…

All of this is to say, I think the same thing is being done by the academia arm, so I would not expect the integrity of a “real education” to factor very much in the reform of college athletics.

If academia takes a stance, it would be, “hey, they can’t do that! Only WE can do that!” But I would expect that only if their livelihood is threatened somehow.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure where to put this but figure this is as good a place as any...The Athletic just published an interesting article about the Portal and NIL where they interviewed coaches, staff, players, and Collectives about the current state of things: https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5484900/2024/05/13/college-football-transfer-portal-nil-deals/
Some key takeaways:

Tampering may be disallowed, but it's SOP for many schools. A coach said that the higher-level programs have crews of analysts who do nothing all day but evaluate other school's players - not just opponents, but everyone - looking for standout guys that might be enticed to transfer. Contact is made through various channels. It used to be more surreptitious, but now some coaches are reaching out directly. There are rules but no one is enforcing them. Some coaches are even approaching other team's players post-game. I've noticed we've made several interesting staffing additions recently - hmmm.

Now that NIL is out in the open and the NCAA has been enjoined from enforcement, the collectives see themselves as trying to inject some professional sanity into the chaos that is ongoing with recruiting/transfers, players' expectations, and inexperienced agents. We can only hope.
My biggest problem with NIL is the lack of a cap on the maximum $. If set at a reasonable amount, it would stabilize the madness.

slugboy

Staff member
My biggest problem with NIL is the lack of a cap on the maximum $. If set at a reasonable amount, it would stabilize the madness.
To make a cap, schools would have to coordinate. A cap is coordinating, by definition.

For that to be legal, there would need to either be enough competition between leagues—and a conference explicitly setting a lower cap than a competing conference would kill recruiting—or there needs to be an antitrust exemption. Congress would need to be involved.

Michigan and Texas et al have little reason to compromise when the chaos is to their advantage.

beeteam

Georgia Tech Fan
To make a cap, schools would have to coordinate. A cap is coordinating, by definition.

For that to be legal, there would need to either be enough competition between leagues—and a conference explicitly setting a lower cap than a competing conference would kill recruiting—or there needs to be an antitrust exemption. Congress would need to be involved.

Michigan and Texas et al have little reason to compromise when the chaos is to their advantage.
I am all for a cap, but how will it be enforced and by whom? Boosters gonna do what a booster gonna do.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how this will ever end up with some reasonable limit on the maximum NIL allowed. It would likely end up back in court again that the NCAA or whomever cannot restrict compensation. It would require some sort of congressional intervention like the antitrust protection the NFL enjoys with salary caps, etc. Nothing can happen IMO, unless athletes sign contracts rather than the current scholarship structure. I was talking with a close friend that is a UGA grad (transferred from Tech BTW) and he agrees the current system is unsustainable even though UGA is benefiting from it.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This will be the necessary decision if the athletes are able to unionize and/or become employees. Schools will find it necessary to divest their AA’s due to cost and risk. Football programs (at least, maybe MBB, too) will be subbed out and contracted to represent a school. There will be no education of those players.

What will the vast majority do then when they finally find out that the NFL isn’t in their future?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This will be the necessary decision if the athletes are able to unionize and/or become employees. Schools will find it necessary to divest their AA’s due to cost and risk. Football programs (at least, maybe MBB, too) will be subbed out and contracted to represent a school. There will be no education of those players.

What will the vast majority do then when they finally find out that the NFL isn’t in their future?
Well, if they do that, then they can do away with eligibility restrictions. Why only allow a 4-5 year contract? What you'll end up with is a minor league where some players are journeymen and stick around the minors for their whole career.