2024 Football Portal

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It seems reasonable that a football player who's an actual Tech grad should be admitted to grad school in his field to continue playing. (disclaimer - sidewalk fan here)
EE grad school required a minimum GPA when I was at Tech. I think it was like a 2.6 minimum in EE courses. They can make exceptions though can't they? MBA is probably pretty tough without a really good GPA.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Georgia kids that were not impressed with TFG are now seeing a different trajectory at GT. We are starting to see GT listed among SEC schools for top players in recruiting as well. Our biggest problem may be to keep the HS recruits in the program as they develop into solid D1players. NIL poaching is a real threat to schools like GT.
You are exactly right. There is another week left in the portal, but our stars seem committed to the Jackets. No one would be surprised if Jamal, Eric, Zeke and others had big NIL deals thrown at them this year. They are staying apparently because they like Coach Key, they like playing in Atlanta, they are committed to each other and they understand the lifelong value of a degree from GT. And if you are good enough the NFL will find you. This is a special team and I love our guys for trying to have a great season for GT and have another shot at taking down the Dawgs.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I agree that the kids like what is GT FB these days, but I sense they also think they have something going this year and want to be a part of it. Yes defense is pure speculation at this point but would not shock me if that turns out to be pretty good. Not sure we are done in portal just yet, but we'll see.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I agree that the kids like what is GT FB these days, but I sense they also think they have something going this year and want to be a part of it. Yes defense is pure speculation at this point but would not shock me if that turns out to be pretty good. Not sure we are done in portal just yet, but we'll see.
We just can't have major injuries on the DL.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
It seems reasonable that a football player who's an actual Tech grad should be admitted to grad school in his field to continue playing. (disclaimer - sidewalk fan here)
The MBA program is top 20 in the country and climbing. The average GMAT is pretty high, around 700. They are not going to dilute the program with too many student athletes. I was in the evening program from 2014 thru 2017 and there were quite a few football players. The ones in the program certainly appeared to deserve to be there. I just do not think every football player that graduates can qualify.

Also, there is nothing forcing the football players to graduate. They can continue to take undergraduate classes for as long as they want.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Don’t we have like 20,000 online grad students? Surely there is a way to get into one of those programs for a fb player who wants to stay here

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I gotta question, and it’s sincere, not trying to discredit, but I see the “transferring because he couldn’t get in to Tech grad school” assumption a lot. Does anyone have any proof of this? I gotta say, if we have a starter, I feel like they’d find ways to get you in or make something happen if you wanted to stay and play at Tech. Let’s say someone like Jamal Haynes graduates (he may already have I dunno)…but he has another year left and wants to play at Tech. They’re finding a way to make that happen. Oh, you gotta move on, you didn’t get in. I’m not buying it. He’s getting in!
There have been many starters that left because they didn't get into Tech's MBA program.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I gotta question, and it’s sincere, not trying to discredit, but I see the “transferring because he couldn’t get in to Tech grad school” assumption a lot. Does anyone have any proof of this? I gotta say, if we have a starter, I feel like they’d find ways to get you in or make something happen if you wanted to stay and play at Tech. Let’s say someone like Jamal Haynes graduates (he may already have I dunno)…but he has another year left and wants to play at Tech. They’re finding a way to make that happen. Oh, you gotta move on, you didn’t get in. I’m not buying it. He’s getting in!

It would be hard for them to get into the MBA program as GT is strict on the experience portion of the application, but I know Darryl Richard got in while still here and also graduated before his eligibility ran out:

Richard was an exception though. Dude was a killer in the classroom and on the field.

We've had several players also work on their Masters in Engineering while playing, and we currently have a player working on their PHD.

I know the basketball players who have graduated tend to gravitate towards the Masters in Construction Management.

There are ways to keep players playing if that's what they want. I'm of the school that GT attracts a certain type of SA that actually cares about their future off the field, and for those SAs the prospect of "playing school" isn't what they're here for, so if GT doesn't have their grad program or can't get in, they move on to opportunities at other schools. Double edge sword for GT because of the caliber of SAs we attract, but it's also a good thing because GT is doing their job of graduating SAs to get them in a position to do that even if it means we lose them to their career aspirations or other opportunities.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

A lot has been said about Sims recently, but I really respect what's he's trying to accomplish off the field. Also, it speaks volumes about GT's academics that Sims has already graduated from Nebraska, but payed his own way to come back and earn a degree from GT.

Waiting didn’t mean sitting idle, though. Sims became the first in his family to earn a college degree when he graduated from Nebraska in December. After spending his first three years at Georgia Tech, he needed only 21 hours to finish a management degree from one of the nation’s best public universities. So he moved back to Atlanta, paid his own way and grinded through courses such as Financial Management, Foundational Strategy, Marketing Research and Business Ethics.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot has been said about Sims recently, but I really respect what's he's trying to accomplish off the field. Also, it speaks volumes about GT's academics that Sims has already graduated from Nebraska, but payed his own way to come back and earn a degree from GT.

Waiting didn’t mean sitting idle, though. Sims became the first in his family to earn a college degree when he graduated from Nebraska in December. After spending his first three years at Georgia Tech, he needed only 21 hours to finish a management degree from one of the nation’s best public universities. So he moved back to Atlanta, paid his own way and grinded through courses such as Financial Management, Foundational Strategy, Marketing Research and Business Ethics.

Say what you want about the kid, he decided to come back and finalize being a tech man. An adult decision for a kid that’s been through it more than most of you can imagine.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
An adult decision for a kid that’s been through it more than most of you can imagine.
Hmmm, that’s an odd charge, though. I mean, if you want to compare his experience to yourself that’s fine. But you know next to nothing about most of us. I applaud him for this latest effort—but it’s assuredly not the same as comparing all circumstances.

Also: if he’s been paid for any of his crappy on the field play, I especially don’t want to applaud his experience. That’s the new age of NIL.. just saying..

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That has not been the case in the past. Don’t ask me to name names. In my old age I block out unpleasant memories.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Hmmm, that’s an odd charge, though. I mean, if you want to compare his experience to yourself that’s fine. But you know next to nothing about most of us. I applaud him for this latest effort—but it’s assuredly not the same as comparing all circumstances.

Also: if he’s been paid for any of his crappy on the field play, I especially don’t want to applaud his experience. That’s the new age of NIL.. just saying..
So when you were 18 you had tens of thousands of people hating on you because you couldn’t deliver on their hopes?
Look I’m not trying to out anyone personally but to out this kid for letting his emotions get the best of him, in an insanely pressured environment that NONE of us have experienced (unless there’s a old starting Tech QB in here), after being in a failing system over and over again, is outrageous.

And yes he was paid, would you like to high horse and say you wouldn’t accept payment? Also outrageous.
Just think- is it more logical to talk down on a kid for underperforming, or hate on the staff that paid him, and either couldn’t build around his play style or didn’t have a plan B when the KID couldn’t handle plan A?