2024 Football Portal

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I didn't think they were, but it seems they should be. If exceptions are made for undergrads, why not grads as well?
Not basing this on anything but….

Grad programs tend to see themselves as separate from the college milieu. Service clubs, fraternities, athletics are not integral. Academics are the primary focus. If an athlete qualifies for grad school admission, and happens to still have athletic eligibility, that’s serendipity. Tech is not the kind of school that would see grad school as another way to “sneak in” a player.

I’m overstating this to make the point but, again, grad schools tend to see themselves as separate from the four year college scene.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Just think- is it more logical to talk down on a kid for underperforming, or hate on the staff that paid him, and either couldn’t build around his play style or didn’t have a plan B when the KID couldn’t handle plan A?
On the staff, of course, and in this case specificallyTFG. Patenaude always featured running QBs - passing too, of course - before he ran into Collins. Then, all of a sudden, presented with a QB who could really run, he began to try to make him a straight drop back guy behind an OL that just wasn't coming up to snuff. I felt for Sims and for Tech as a result of this decision and I'm betting it wasn't Patenaude's. This was what I meant when I said that Sims's lack of development wasn't really his fault. I thought when he went to Nebraska he'd get a coach who would see what he could do, but no such luck. If the Huskers had gone back to the I-bone with Sims, things would have happened for them.

I'm glad Sims came back to Tech and got the extra degree - you know, the one that will actually count. And I'm sorry he never got the chance to fully develop the talents he has.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Looks to me like some QBs have good physical abilities but have a really hard time getting the mental part of the position. Sometime they may also not have accuracy capabilities.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Looks to me like some QBs have good physical abilities but have a really hard time getting the mental part of the position. Sometime they may also not have accuracy capabilities.
Plus, for many QB's, they're able to dominate at an early age purely based on athleticism. Oftentimes, they don't begin to really learn the game until they get to college. And by that time, it's sink or swim - they've got a very small window of time to get it all together.

IMO, this is what happened to Sims. He didn't develop very much under TFG - and that's not all his fault. He was put in a completely impossible situation...and very predictably, the results were not good. He had the weight of GT on him - the pressure from the fans, from the coaches, the media, etc. I honestly believe he gave everything he had - up until he couldn't give any more. Unfortunately, it happened on live TV - in front of all of us. That's tough, and I honestly feel bad for the kid. He deserved more from the coaching staff.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I just did a quick count at 247's transfer portal page which shows there are 30 guys leaving and only 12 coming in.

Is that right? Is that good or bad at this point? And we're in trouble on the D line?

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I always think back to Ryan Leaf vs Peyton Manning. When they were in the draft it was a toss up on which one would be selected. Leaf’s arm strength, in particular, was a huge physical advantage compared to Manning. But Leaf was a head case ultimately, and Manning was the fiercest of competitors. It’s just a reminder that physical gifts only go so far. Or we could just talk about Michael Vick….

After watching that Quarterback show that followed pro QBs, the level of preparation so outranks physical dominance, even more so today.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Plus, for many QB's, they're able to dominate at an early age purely based on athleticism. Oftentimes, they don't begin to really learn the game until they get to college. And by that time, it's sink or swim - they've got a very small window of time to get it all together.
Ahhhh. Reminds me of when we played Brown hen Kin King was their QB. The young left-hander = 6'3", 220. Our biggest DL = 5'10" 215. Yes, we did have a hard time with him. King would look the field over often with one of our D players hanging on to him. He would make the pass, usually complete, then shrug off our guy(s). Frustrating to be beat that way, but it happens.

Btw, I know how badly this dates me. So what?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Ahhhh. Reminds me of when we played Brown hen Kin King was their QB. The young left-hander = 6'3", 220. Our biggest DL = 5'10" 215. Yes, we did have a hard time with him. King would look the field over often with one of our D players hanging on to him. He would make the pass, usually complete, then shrug off our guy(s). Frustrating to be beat that way, but it happens.

Btw, I know how badly this dates me. So what?
Kim K was that size in HS?