2024 ACC Football Schedule Reveal - Jan 24th, ACC Network and ESPN2

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
There it is. The show that puts the lie to it all. F$U played UNA at 6:30 PM on November 18. The time stamp on this Game Day show was 10:18 AM on November 18. That’s 8.5 hours *before* Travis gets injured. Herbie is already picking 1-loss Texas and Bama ahead of undefeated F$U if Bama beats UGAg. The injury excuse is a bald-faces lie.

It was entirely to give Saban one last shot at a championship.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Playing (and winning) solid OOC games is very important for the long-term perception of the program. The bowl system is becoming obsolete. Trying to schedule for wins to stack up bowl game streaks and 10 win seasons is an obsolete strategy now, especially for ACC and Big 12 teams. It’s extremely important to schedule and win games against SEC and B1G opponents to gain respect.
No it's not. ugag is already on our schedule every year, there is no changing that like you continue to falsely suggest people are arguing for. But you you seem to also forget that the playoff is 12 teams now, and the ACC is basically guaranteed a spot for their champion. Win the ACC and do our best to go undefeated in the rest of the games, that's all we have to do. There is zero reason any more to make the OOC games unnecessarily difficult.

Also to whoever suggested playing 2 FCS teams - only 1 FCS win counts towards bowl eligibility. 1 FCS, 2 G5, and ugag should be our OOC schedule. Save the extra P4 games for bowl season.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
No it's not. ugag is already on our schedule every year, there is no changing that like you continue to falsely suggest people are arguing for. But you you seem to also forget that the playoff is 12 teams now, and the ACC is basically guaranteed a spot for their champion. Win the ACC and do our best to go undefeated in the rest of the games, that's all we have to do. There is zero reason any more to make the OOC games unnecessarily difficult.

Also to whoever suggested playing 2 FCS teams - only 1 FCS win counts towards bowl eligibility. 1 FCS, 2 G5, and ugag should be our OOC schedule. Save the extra P4 games for bowl season.
We already have UGA every year, Notre Dame this year, Colorado in 2025 and 2026, at Notre Dame in both 2027 and 2029. So we hsve 2 P4 games in 5 of the next 6 years. And how exactly are we playing 2 away games at Notre Dame in a 3 year period?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

I had suggested two FCS but you are correct, the extra FCS wouldn't count toward a bowl. Interestingly, I believe that rule was put into place because some SEC teams did that regularly and squeaked their way into a bowl. Hmmm.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Going 2-1 or even 1-2 against FSU, ND, and UGA this year would bring attention our way. Beating Georgia State, VMI, and Syracuse will not.
Still fail to understand your point about scheduling here. Those teams are already scheduled for 2024. Obviously, upsetting a couple of powerhouse teams would move the needle positively - I don't think anyone would disagree. But hoping for big upsets is not a strategy.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

The ACC champion is in. After that it’s a beauty pageant like it’s always been, and they just proved they think the ACC doesn’t belong. The #2 team in the ACC is going to be passed by the #4 and #5 SEC and B1G teams fairly often

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Still fail to understand your point about scheduling here. Those teams are already scheduled for 2024. Obviously, upsetting a couple of powerhouse teams would move the needle positively - I don't think anyone would disagree. But hoping for big upsets is not a strategy.
People are talking about future scheduling. Not this year, or the games already scheduled in upcoming years. Not sure why you or @yeti92 are acting like I’m talking games already scheduled. My first post in this thread was a response to someone suggesting we should be scheduling easier games. I think that’s stupid, especially in the current college football setup

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
The ACC champion is in. After that it’s a beauty pageant like it’s always been, and they just proved they think the ACC doesn’t belong. The #2 team in the ACC is going to be passed by the #4 and #5 SEC and B1G teams fairly often
This is true but if the #4 SEC and #4 BIG teams get in (+ 1 G5) there’s still room for a second ACC or B12 team.

I went through the rankings and historically it’s uncommon for a P5 10-win team to be out of the top 12 while a 9-win team makes it. Here’s the full list:

2014 Missouri, Wisconsin (behind 9-3 Ole Miss)
2015 Northwestern, Ok St, Florida (behind 9-2 Baylor)
2017 Washington (behind 9-3 Stanford)
2018 Washington St (behind 9-3 Washington, 9-3 Penn State)
2019 Alabama(!), Oregon, Notre Dame, Minnesota (behind 9-3 Auburn)

In over half those examples the SEC or B1G/future B1G even got bit. And if the last 9-3 team gets replaced by one G5 champ that were outside the top 12 (ie. how it would look going forward) that list would go down even further. In 2014, 2015, 2017, and 2019 the highest rated G5 was outside the top 12 and would replace #12 Ole Miss, #12 Baylor, #12 Stanford, and #12 Auburn. So if we make sure a G5 makes it in the top 12, the full list of P5 10-win teams to get left out in favor of a 9-win team over the past ten years is:

The upshot of it is, could we get left out for a 10-2 SEC or B1G team, sure, there’s examples of that happening in the polls. But the doomerism of getting left out for an 8-4 or even 9-3 SEC team every year is unrealistic, barring a major change in how they rank teams.

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
We have the possibility of one of the biggest wins of the entire college football season baked into our schedule every year, accompanied by some other pretty big time programs. Going 2-1 or even 1-2 against FSU, ND, and UGA this year would bring attention our way. Beating Georgia State, VMI, and Syracuse will not.

Not sure why you or @yeti92 are acting like I’m talking games already scheduled.

Ok.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
People are talking about future scheduling. Not this year, or the games already scheduled in upcoming years. Not sure why you or @yeti92 are acting like I’m talking games already scheduled. My first post in this thread was a response to someone suggesting we should be scheduling easier games. I think that’s stupid, especially in the current college football setup
Not sure where you got that from, I didn't say that.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Jim Phillips will ensure the ACC gets at least 4 invites next season. He’s that good of a commissioner. The only question is can he sneak a 5th if Wake can go 7-5.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This is true but if the #4 SEC and #4 BIG teams get in (+ 1 G5) there’s still room for a second ACC or B12 team.

I went through the rankings and historically it’s uncommon for a P5 10-win team to be out of the top 12 while a 9-win team makes it. Here’s the full list:

2014 Missouri, Wisconsin (behind 9-3 Ole Miss)
2015 Northwestern, Ok St, Florida (behind 9-2 Baylor)
2017 Washington (behind 9-3 Stanford)
2019 Alabama(!), Oregon, Notre Dame, Minnesota (behind 9-3 Auburn)

In over half those examples the SEC or B1G/future B1G even got bit. And if the last 9-3 team gets replaced by one G5 champ that were outside the top 12 (ie. how it would look going forward) that list would go down even further. In 2014, 2015, 2017, and 2019 the highest rated G5 was outside the top 12 and would replace #12 Ole Miss, #12 Baylor, #12 Stanford, and #12 Auburn. So if we make sure a G5 makes it in the top 12, the full list of P5 10-win teams to get left out in favor of a 9-win team over the past ten years is:

The upshot of it is, could we get left out for a 10-2 SEC or B1G team, sure, there’s examples of that happening in the polls. But the doomerism of getting left out for an 8-4 or even 9-3 SEC team every year is unrealistic, barring a major change in how they rank teams.
This is very interesting info… thanks for compiling. File this away for a 5 year and 10 year look back. Wonder if this tendency changes as more people start paying attention to spots 10-12 and if the rankings trend differently now that those spots will be under the microscope.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just because that’s what they say doesn’t make it true. Even without the not so conspiratorial knowledge that ESPN, the SEC, and the CFP are all heavily vested within each other, the ESPN guys are some of the most well-recognized voices in the sport. To think they had no impact at all in the decision of the committee is silly. It’s like saying Fox and CNN don’t have an impact on the result of an election. Of course they do.

Besides, the QB that played in the game against Louisville wasn’t even going to the starter in the CFP game. And do you really think they would’ve left UGA or Alabama out of the playoff had Milroe or Beck gotten hurt? No shot.

This is all rehashing things that have been said a million times in other threads anyway. My point is that the rest of the country doesn’t respect the ACC enough for Tech to only schedule cupcakes and try to pad the W stat. The country has just told you ACC wins don’t matter, and with new faces in the SEC and B1G they’re going to matter less. Playing (and winning) solid OOC games is very important for the long-term perception of the program. The bowl system is becoming obsolete. Trying to schedule for wins to stack up bowl game streaks and 10 win seasons is an obsolete strategy now, especially for ACC and Big 12 teams. It’s extremely important to schedule and win games against SEC and B1G opponents to gain respect.
My comment was that their weak schedule wasn’t the reason used to leave them out. That’s a false narrative. Maybe the QB was too, but don’t state the weak schedule was the reason FSU was left out.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Amazing that people don't realize how far down we have been compared to these teams.
- UGA we have won 4 games against them this Century in 23 tries
- ND we have won 1 of 4 games this Century (2007)
- FSU we have done well against them this Century, we are 4-6 against them this Century
Collectively we are 9-29 against those 3 teams.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
There it is. The show that puts the lie to it all. F$U played UNA at 6:30 PM on November 18. The time stamp on this Game Day show was 10:18 AM on November 18. That’s 8.5 hours *before* Travis gets injured. Herbie is already picking 1-loss Texas and Bama ahead of undefeated F$U if Bama beats UGAg. The injury excuse is a bald-faces lie.
Herbie isn’t on the selection committee is he?