2024 ACC Football Schedule Reveal - Jan 24th, ACC Network and ESPN2

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Well, that's it then. You assume mediocrity based on the past, and I look forward to a better future. "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." It works both ways.
I look forward to a better future as well, and as I mentioned, I believe our trajectory is upward.

I was focusing on our 2024 schedule and its relative degree of difficulty for a team in our current state (likely in the mediocre range as I define it). I think you and some others were projecting to seasons beyond that, thus the disconnect. Nothing wrong with aspirational goals for the future, and I agree we shouldn't approach the longer term with an assumption of constant mediocrity, despite our history.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Let‘s all just rejoice at what a wonderful job the ACC league office has been doing for Georgia Tech. The way they use their platforms to market us continues to be outstanding. The way they always go out of their way with a positive schedule for GT is just the cherry on top. I’m grateful to be in such a wonderful conference who puts their member schools first. The passion they showed in bowl selections and playoff selections is unsurpassed by any front office. They always go that extra mile for us. So proud to chant ACC at our events.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
J Batt wasn't the one who greenlit this game — it was Stansbury & Co. Also, I don't have a problem with doing FSU in Ireland OR alternatively Notre Dame in the Benz. I have a problem with them doing BOTH in the same season — giving up two huge marquee home games.
Jeebus. As I keep saying, we need to schedule to win. Not play hard and lose. Not hope for the occasional knock-out. Not revel in memories of how close we came to a winning season. But playing more teams that we have a decent chance of beating. Contrary to what some fonts are saying, that doesn't mean playing cream-puffs every week - not that I'd complain about that - but instead playing teams where Tech has a better then even chance of winning. An example: NCSU. That'll be a tough game, no question, but Tech has an even chance of winning it. FSZoo … well, not so much, even early on.

I know that with a conference that has now decided that it will use it's basketball model - every man for himself and God against all* - over to football, this will be a dicey proposition. But I'd like to see fewer ND, FSU, Clemson, and da U games and more Wake, UVA, VT games in future.

• Werner Hertzog

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Jeebus. As I keep saying, we need to schedule to win. Not play hard and lose. Not hope for the occasional knock-out. Not revel in memories of how close we came to a winning season. But playing more teams that we have a decent chance of beating. Contrary to what some fonts are saying, that doesn't mean playing cream-puffs every week - not that I'd complain about that - but instead playing teams where Tech has a better then even chance of winning. An example: NCSU. That'll be a tough game, no question, but Tech has an even chance of winning it. FSZoo … well, not so much, even early on.

I know that with a conference that has now decided that it will use it's basketball model - every man for himself and God against all* - over to football, this will be a dicey proposition. But I'd like to see fewer ND, FSU, Clemson, and da U games and more Wake, UVA, VT games in future.

• Werner Hertzog
Florida State literally just went undefeated and didn’t make the playoff because their schedule was perceived to be too weak. Going 10-2 against nobodies does nothing to help the program. 10-2 ACC teams will be passed up by 9-3 and maybe even 8-4 SEC and B1G teams in the 12 team playoff. There has to be at least a couple of big wins in a 10-2 effort to get playoff consideration. That’s why playing UGA, Clemson, Notre Dame, and FSU is important. Losing a close game to a ND or UGA is probably better for Tech’s chances than beating 4 teams like Bowling Green, Vanderbilt, GA State, and MTSU

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I look forward to a better future as well, and as I mentioned, I believe our trajectory is upward.

I was focusing on our 2024 schedule and its relative degree of difficulty for a team in our current state (likely in the mediocre range as I define it). I think you and some others were projecting to seasons beyond that, thus the disconnect. Nothing wrong with aspirational goals for the future, and I agree we shouldn't approach the longer term with an assumption of constant mediocrity, despite our history.
How about mediocre with an asterisk indicating danger. Tech has pulled off three upsets since the advent of Key as three-TD underdogs. Let's go get another one this year. Our star is rising. A little help on defense and the Jackets will be ready to get after anybody on our schedule. The pieces are falling into place, one by one.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Florida State literally just went undefeated and didn’t make the playoff because their schedule was perceived to be too weak.
Yeah, imagine that, even though they went out of their way to add LSU onto their OOC schedule to go with Florida.
They had to feel 12-0 should have been good enough to punch their ticket to the playoffs.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Florida State literally just went undefeated and didn’t make the playoff because their schedule was perceived to be too weak 1st and 2nd options at QB got hurt. Going 10-2 against nobodies does nothing to help the program. 10-2 ACC teams will be passed up by 9-3 and maybe even 8-4 SEC and B1G teams in the 12 team playoff. There has to be at least a couple of big wins in a 10-2 effort to get playoff consideration. That’s why playing UGA, Clemson, Notre Dame, and FSU is important. Losing a close game to a ND or UGA is probably better for Tech’s chances than beating 4 teams like Bowling Green, Vanderbilt, GA State, and MTSU
Disagree with your first two points. You can argue that FSU wasn't going to get in because "SEC", but they were in the top four choices until their game against Louisville where they had to play their 3rd string. That performance and the perception of their ability to field a competitive team in the playoffs was the stated reason for leaving them out - and I don't plan to re-litigate that discussion.

We're not going 10-2 against nobodies. No one is suggesting that. Assuming not scheduling uga is off the table, worst case (or best case, depending on your perspective) is an 8-game ACC schedule that will include a few ranked teams, plus 3 others. Of those three, we could presumably schedule to have a couple of FCS teams and a G5. Most years we would have at least a Clemson or a ND game in the mix. Going 10-2 against that schedule would have us ranked, going to a good bowl, and possibly in the playoff discussion. That would certainly help the program.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Let‘s all just rejoice at what a wonderful job the ACC league office has been doing for Georgia Tech. The way they use their platforms to market us continues to be outstanding. The way they always go out of their way with a positive schedule for GT is just the cherry on top. I’m grateful to be in such a wonderful conference who puts their member schools first. The passion they showed in bowl selections and playoff selections is unsurpassed by any front office. They always go that extra mile for us. So proud to chant ACC at our events.
That's the spirit, SOWEGA. So nice to hear you talk that way...

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Diag

Disagree with your first two points. You can argue that FSU wasn't going to get in because "SEC", but they were in the top four choices until their game against Louisville where they had to play their 3rd string. That performance and the perception of their ability to field a competitive team in the playoffs was the stated reason for leaving them out - and I don't plan to re-litigate that discussion.

We're not going 10-2 against nobodies. No one is suggesting that. Assuming not scheduling uga is off the table, worst case (or best case, depending on your perspective) is an 8-game ACC schedule that will include a few ranked teams, plus 3 others. Of those three, we could presumably schedule to have a couple of FCS teams and a G5. Most years we would have at least a Clemson or a ND game in the mix. Going 10-2 against that schedule would have us ranked, going to a good bowl, and possibly in the playoff discussion. That would certainly help the program.
There was already plenty of momentum to leave FSU out of the playoff before Travis ever got hurt. Herbstreit and the Gameday crew were doing it live on TV. Herbstreit even tweeted it himself publicly. Florida State was not getting into the playoff even if Travis was healthy, unless Georgia had beaten Bama knocked both Alabama and Texas out of the conversation.

An ACC schedule sans UGA IS a schedule full of nobodies in the eyes of the national media. They literally just told you so. Beating 8 ACC teams and 2 nobodies doesn’t do anything for you, even if you also beat 2 SEC teams and win the conference along the way. Going 10-2 against a schedule that only includes 2-3 teams people respect will not do anything for Georgia Tech’s program. Winning (and/or consistently playing tight games) against UGA, Clemson, Notre Dame, FSU, etc. is the best way to put yourself on the map. Just look at NC State, a very solid program, they’ve won 8+ games every year but 1 since 2017 and they’ve only started the season ranked once in that span, yet they’ve finished ranked 5 out of 7. Florida on the other hand has won 8+ only twice since 2017, and they’ve been pre-season ranked 4 times in that span, ditto for Auburn. NC State is much more solid, much more stable, and much better program than those other 2, but they get no love from the media ever. Mostly because they don’t play enough compelling games. Their games against Clemson, FSU, and when they occasionally play ND are the only ones that bring them national attention. When they’re playing Wake Forest, Boston College, Duke, and Syracuse nobody cares. That’s where Tech has an advantage on these other ACC teams. We have the possibility of one of the biggest wins of the entire college football season baked into our schedule every year, accompanied by some other pretty big time programs. Going 2-1 or even 1-2 against FSU, ND, and UGA this year would bring attention our way. Beating Georgia State, VMI, and Syracuse will not.

Right, wrong, indifferent, people outside of the ACC don’t respect the ACC as a football conference. Playing 8 ACC games and 4 garbage OOC games is not going to get us anywhere near the national conversation. If you payed any attention to this past football season you would know that. Watch the video in the tweet I linked. Literally none of them had undefeated FSU in the playoff BEFORE the Travis injury. McAfee actually campaigns for Alabama and Georgia to both be in over 1-loss Big 12 champ Texas (who beat Bama) and undefeated ACC champ FSU.

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Well, that's it then. You assume mediocrity based on the past, and I look forward to a better future. "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." It works both ways.
What makes you think GT will have a defense that isn’t terrible this year? Past performance is a very good indicator. New coaches = hope. Same players = not much believe.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Really loved the bowl game swap... Minutes after I purchased tickets for the Birmingham Bowl...
Like they really put some effort into getting it right the first time.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Florida State literally just went undefeated and didn’t make the playoff because their schedule was perceived to be too weak. Going 10-2 against nobodies does nothing to help the program. 10-2 ACC teams will be passed up by 9-3 and maybe even 8-4 SEC and B1G teams in the 12 team playoff. There has to be at least a couple of big wins in a 10-2 effort to get playoff consideration. That’s why playing UGA, Clemson, Notre Dame, and FSU is important. Losing a close game to a ND or UGA is probably better for Tech’s chances than beating 4 teams like Bowling Green, Vanderbilt, GA State, and MTSU
You'd think that having an analytical fanbase would result in a more in depth understanding of our current state and necessary strategy, but alas you have to spell it out in grave detail. Our ceiling is capped at 13, we're probably out unless we're 12-1.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Bitter irony. Save some of this for the future. The ACC doesn’t appear to be through being a champion and advocate for Tech.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
There was already plenty of momentum to leave FSU out of the playoff before Travis ever got hurt. Herbstreit and the Gameday crew were doing it live on TV. Herbstreit even tweeted it himself publicly. Florida State was not getting into the playoff even if Travis was healthy, unless Georgia had beaten Bama knocked both Alabama and Texas out of the conversation.

An ACC schedule sans UGA IS a schedule full of nobodies in the eyes of the national media. They literally just told you so. Beating 8 ACC teams and 2 nobodies doesn’t do anything for you, even if you also beat 2 SEC teams and win the conference along the way. Going 10-2 against a schedule that only includes 2-3 teams people respect will not do anything for Georgia Tech’s program. Winning (and/or consistently playing tight games) against UGA, Clemson, Notre Dame, FSU, etc. is the best way to put yourself on the map. Just look at NC State, a very solid program, they’ve won 8+ games every year but 1 since 2017 and they’ve only started the season ranked once in that span, yet they’ve finished ranked 5 out of 7. Florida on the other hand has won 8+ only twice since 2017, and they’ve been pre-season ranked 4 times in that span, ditto for Auburn. NC State is much more solid, much more stable, and much better program than those other 2, but they get no love from the media ever. Mostly because they don’t play enough compelling games. Their games against Clemson, FSU, and when they occasionally play ND are the only ones that bring them national attention. When they’re playing Wake Forest, Boston College, Duke, and Syracuse nobody cares. That’s where Tech has an advantage on these other ACC teams. We have the possibility of one of the biggest wins of the entire college football season baked into our schedule every year, accompanied by some other pretty big time programs. Going 2-1 or even 1-2 against FSU, ND, and UGA this year would bring attention our way. Beating Georgia State, VMI, and Syracuse will not.

Right, wrong, indifferent, people outside of the ACC don’t respect the ACC as a football conference. Playing 8 ACC games and 4 garbage OOC games is not going to get us anywhere near the national conversation. If you payed any attention to this past football season you would know that. Watch the video in the tweet I linked. Literally none of them had undefeated FSU in the playoff BEFORE the Travis injury. McAfee actually campaigns for Alabama and Georgia to both be in over 1-loss Big 12 champ Texas (who beat Bama) and undefeated ACC champ FSU.

We're not going 10-2 against nobodies. No one is suggesting that. Assuming not scheduling uga is off the table, worst case (or best case, depending on your perspective) is an 8-game ACC schedule that will include a few ranked teams, plus 3 others.
If you paid any attention to my post, you would know that I didn't say what you stated.

Yeah, the ESPN talking heads will do what they are paid to do, which is to generate dramatic tension for viewer interest. But they are not the CFP committee.

Let's hope GT gets to the point soon where we can start confidently rubber-stamping wins for the Bowling Greens and BCs on our schedule, instead of scheduling an auto-loss in their place. We are stuck with the ACC for the time being. If we had played and been curb-stomped by, say, LSU instead of beating SC State, would you feel better? More importantly, would the talking heads feel better about us?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This isn't true. They didn't make the CFP because their starting QB was injured. That was the reason the CFP Committee gave. When the uproar happened about the absurdity of that, media outlets started the narrative about the weak schedule. That was never part of the excuse CFP gave.

"The CFP committee placed the undefeated Seminoles (13–0) at No. 5 in favor of Alabama (12–1) at No. 4 because of the Crimson Tide’s win against then No. 1 Georgia (12–1) in the SEC Championship game. CFP leaders also felt that FSU was not the same team following the season-ending leg injury to quarterback Jordan Travis in the Seminoles’ game against North Alabama on Nov. 18."

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

There it is. The show that puts the lie to it all. F$U played UNA at 6:30 PM on November 18. The time stamp on this Game Day show was 10:18 AM on November 18. That’s 8.5 hours *before* Travis gets injured. Herbie is already picking 1-loss Texas and Bama ahead of undefeated F$U if Bama beats UGAg. The injury excuse is a bald-faces lie.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
This isn't true. They didn't make the CFP because their starting QB was injured. That was the reason the CFP Committee gave. When the uproar happened about the absurdity of that, media outlets started the narrative about the weak schedule. That was never part of the excuse CFP gave.

"The CFP committee placed the undefeated Seminoles (13–0) at No. 5 in favor of Alabama (12–1) at No. 4 because of the Crimson Tide’s win against then No. 1 Georgia (12–1) in the SEC Championship game. CFP leaders also felt that FSU was not the same team following the season-ending leg injury to quarterback Jordan Travis in the Seminoles’ game against North Alabama on Nov. 18."
Just because that’s what they say doesn’t make it true. Even without the not so conspiratorial knowledge that ESPN, the SEC, and the CFP are all heavily vested within each other, the ESPN guys are some of the most well-recognized voices in the sport. To think they had no impact at all in the decision of the committee is silly. It’s like saying Fox and CNN don’t have an impact on the result of an election. Of course they do.

Besides, the QB that played in the game against Louisville wasn’t even going to the starter in the CFP game. And do you really think they would’ve left UGA or Alabama out of the playoff had Milroe or Beck gotten hurt? No shot.

This is all rehashing things that have been said a million times in other threads anyway. My point is that the rest of the country doesn’t respect the ACC enough for Tech to only schedule cupcakes and try to pad the W stat. The country has just told you ACC wins don’t matter, and with new faces in the SEC and B1G they’re going to matter less. Playing (and winning) solid OOC games is very important for the long-term perception of the program. The bowl system is becoming obsolete. Trying to schedule for wins to stack up bowl game streaks and 10 win seasons is an obsolete strategy now, especially for ACC and Big 12 teams. It’s extremely important to schedule and win games against SEC and B1G opponents to gain respect.