2024 ACC Football Schedule Reveal - Jan 24th, ACC Network and ESPN2

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Florida State literally just went undefeated and didn’t make the playoff because their schedule was perceived to be too weak. Going 10-2 against nobodies does nothing to help the program. 10-2 ACC teams will be passed up by 9-3 and maybe even 8-4 SEC and B1G teams in the 12 team playoff. There has to be at least a couple of big wins in a 10-2 effort to get playoff consideration. That’s why playing UGA, Clemson, Notre Dame, and FSU is important. Losing a close game to a ND or UGA is probably better for Tech’s chances than beating 4 teams like Bowling Green, Vanderbilt, GA State, and MTSU
Well … actually FSU got bypassed because Jordan Travis got hurt and two games showed that his #2 couldn't restore FSU to the team that went undefeated. It didn't matter that they had beat a few big teams (da U, Flahdah, Clemson, LSU) and were undefeated because they simply weren't the same team without Travis and everybody making decisions for the playoffs knew it.

As to the rest of your post … we'll just have to disagree again. I don't think your 10-2 ACC v. 8-4 SEC or B1G comparison makes much sense. But, of course, we don't know one way or the other since we haven't had a 12 team playoff yet. Personally I'd rather watch a team that wins then a team that doesn't and scheduling to make that happen should be priority #1 for Batt. I'd let the playoff picture take care of itself.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What makes you think GT will have a defense that isn’t terrible this year? Past performance is a very good indicator. New coaches = hope. Same players = not much believe.
Normally, I'd agree 100%. Past performance is the best way to predict anything and football is no exception. However …

When you look at what Elko did to the Duke D using pretty much the same base of players you have to admit that something changed and the coach is the best explanation. Duke was something like 112 in total D the year before before Elko. Then they went to 31 in 2022 and, with a passel of injuries, to 41 in 2023, the year Santucci was DC. I'll take that any day of the week. Will that happen next year? Probably not; it took Elko a year to make a difference. But I do expect that we'll be better; especially because Lockett will have another season in the weight room behind him. He may be the DT we've been waiting for.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Well … actually FSU got bypassed because Jordan Travis got hurt and two games showed that his #2 couldn't restore FSU to the team that went undefeated. It didn't matter that they had beat a few big teams (da U, Flahdah, Clemson, LSU) and were undefeated because they simply weren't the same team without Travis and everybody making decisions for the playoffs knew it.

As to the rest of your post … we'll just have to disagree again. I don't think your 10-2 ACC v. 8-4 SEC or B1G comparison makes much sense. But, of course, we don't know one way or the other since we haven't had a 12 team playoff yet. Personally I'd rather watch a team that wins then a team that doesn't and scheduling to make that happen should be priority #1 for Batt. I'd let the playoff picture take care of itself.
Actually, no. That was the narrative but the movement to eliminate them was already underway. How you guys refuse to acknowledge this when there is video evidence otherwise astounds me, TBH.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

In the only one of those two games the number two played in, FSU beat "big team" Florida. In the other you cite as evidence of number two's inadequacy, he was on the bench. In no way did either of those games indicate winning a game in the playoffs was impossible for FSU, or anywhere near it. No, they weren't the same team after losing Travis. But it's impressive that they still rolled on, even after losing him. They earned their spot in the playoff. It was grossly unfair to the rest of the team to bypass them just because they lost one player, important as he was.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Talking heads talking about Alabama having a potential case pre injury: evidence of conspiracy and lies

Talking heads decrying FSU being left out after the fact: not relevant? So the talking heads are only in on the grand conspiracy when we don’t like what they say?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Actually, no. That was the narrative but the movement to eliminate them was already underway. How you guys refuse to acknowledge this when there is video evidence otherwise astounds me, TBH.
Because you confuse talking heads with the NCAA Selection committee! What Herbstreet, Fowler or Corso say is not relevant, it's just noise!

Obviously you believe the Selection Committee came out and lied to the public when they cited the quarterback being a major factor.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I gotta be honest, nobody is thinking about whether a fan in South Florida is going to make the Tech home games,
Which is exactly the problem. We aren't Alabama or North Carolina, Mr. Batt. Over half of GT grads leave Georgia. We have to figure out ways to get alumni back, and do so as economically for them as possible-and it is possible. We need creativity working with hotels and airlines. I've had this conversation with people at the AA in the past, who acknowledge the issue, and then do nothing about it. I wrote J Batt about this issue and what did he say? Crickets at least give a response. As a 40 year AT contributor, his silence is insulting.

buzzn3

Georgia Tech Fan
Which is exactly the problem. We aren't Alabama or North Carolina, Mr. Batt. Over half of GT grads leave Georgia. We have to figure out ways to get alumni back, and do so as economically for them as possible-and it is possible. We need creativity working with hotels and airlines. I've had this conversation with people at the AA in the past, who acknowledge the issue, and then do nothing about it. I wrote J Batt about this issue and what did he say? Crickets at least give a response. As a 40 year AT contributor, his silence is insulting.
Chartered or coordinated flights/transportation from some of the major out-of-state cities back to Tech for home games just for alums would be pretty darn nice, then link it with ground transportation and hotels. Maybe arrange some sponsorships/partnerships with those new uber-like charter jet companies.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Chartered or coordinated flights/transportation from some of the major out-of-state cities back to Tech for home games just for alums would be pretty darn nice, then link it with ground transportation and hotels. Maybe arrange some sponsorships/partnerships with those new uber-like charter jet companies.
The problem is they'd try to make money from it instead of using it as a lost leader to get alumni and fans to away games.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Actually, as the voice of ESPN, which pretty much funds college football, yes…I believe he is.

Money talks. BS walks….
So you believe the Head of the CFP Selection Committee lied to the public regarding FSU wasn't selected? Wow, strong belief.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Because you confuse talking heads with the NCAA Selection committee! What Herbstreet, Fowler or Corso say is not relevant, it's just noise!

Obviously you believe the Selection Committee came out and lied to the public when they cited the quarterback being a major factor.
You keep on believing this. sEcSPN is money and money talks. But you keep that head in the sand. It is you who is confused.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Question for the jury: When it comes to selecting playoff teams has there ever been a case where a conference champion and/or an undefeated team was left out due to an injured player?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Bingo. There is no way a charter flight would be anything but a giant money drain!
We don't need or want that. If we did, we'd organize it ourselves. What we need is a schedule that makes people wanting to keep jumping on an aircraft Friday afternoon or Saturday mornings. Labor Day weekend. Hey gives us a Friday game, hey give us a Monday game, give us a crap opponent. Give us a game against that normally draws maybe 30k on the heels of people travelling out of country to watch us play, that will fill the stands. It's as if we do everything we can to dissuade exciting our fans or growing our fanbase. The longer the ACC gets away with treating us like her *****, the longer and harder the road will be.

Key's taking care of rebuilding the Team. That will help with the fans, but we lost approx 25% of the fans attending games during the worst period of GT football in the history of the program. You have to grow 1/3 to make up for the 1/4 you lost plus normal attrition from the post-Dodd fans getting at the end of their traveling days. Growing 1/3 in an increasingly competitive entertainment market with a fanbase that's increasing mobile and mostly moving outside Atlanta is a tall order.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
So you believe the Head of the CFP Selection Committee lied to the public regarding FSU wasn't selected? Wow, strong belief.
I believe people in public positions lie all the time to justify their actions to the public (see: politicians, CEO’s, media personalities, etc). They typically understand/believe that the public may not/will not be happy with the truth, so, they tell what they believe is a sellable argument. Happens ALL the time.

Why should this situation be any different? Pressures are exactly the same.